PDA

View Full Version : Todays GeeDub Safari

SEAWOLF97
11-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Slow day. But I was looking among the furniture, when I spotted some familiar grills. Sauntered over and they were Pioneer CS 88a's. Not really my cup of tea, but looked at the price and no contest. Didn't have a cart, so kinda shoved them behind a bed, while running to get a shopping cart.
Got them home. cabinets need refinishing, tweeters have cracks in foam , one LF dust cap needs sucking out, but super tweeter works.
Another project !! Thats what I need, another project. Just finished the Marantz HD77s , starting on the Janszen ESLs, the Henry Kloss subs are sitting in the project line. I'll never be done. Is there an Audio Anonymous that I can join ?? Oh yeah , they were $3ea.

louped garouv
11-21-2006, 04:02 PM
nice score,

the super tweeters remind me of the Altec 3000G tweeters in the 890A Bolero...

SEAWOLF97
11-22-2006, 08:10 PM
I started researching the cracked foam on these Pioneer tweeters. There seems to be no replacement as they are 16ohm , and no foam available.
Soooo, I took the glue that was used in reforming the Marantz's and soaked it into the caking foams. It goes on white, but dries clear.
Seems to have permeated the cracks and stabilized the surrounds. There really is no movement and I'm not even sure why a HF needs surrounds. Everything sounds good. Hope it is a permanent solution. :blink:

SEAWOLF97
11-24-2006, 05:52 PM
only picked up a single POLK monitor on todays safari, but my better half did find me one of these....Does anyone have any experience with this ???

OEM SYSTEMS SW-4SPKR Impedance Compensating Speaker Switcher SW-4SPKR
Technical Details

Maintain minimum 8Ωload for amp protection against low impedance loads
Barrier termination strip construction provides positive wire terminations
Individual on/off switches for 4 pairs of speakers
Rated at 100W RMS per channel
Heavy-duty metal chassis & cases with high-grade circuit boards
Product Description
Dim: 8.5" x 2" x 5.25" Weight: 3 lbs

johnaec
11-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this ???I've got some similar units - a cheap 4-pair unit from Radio Shack and a nice 6-pair Adcom GFS-6.

The Radio Shack unit is rated 50 watts/channel, but uses an interesting combination of parallel/serial switching to keep loads in a safe area when listening to more than one pair at a time.

The Adcom unit is rated 200 watts/channel, and as far as I can tell, all circuits are parallel. It also has a "protection" switch, but all this does is put some huge resistors, (about 1" dia. & 6" long), in series with the inputs. I imagine that's what yours does.

I find them a huge convenience for listening tests between different speakers, but rarely if ever use them for listening to more than one set at a time.

John

Fred Sanford
11-25-2006, 09:01 AM
The best of these that I've got is a Niles SVC4L, has two amp inputs and four speaker outputs, each speaker output with a volume control and loading resistors on each input for protection. Not exactly something I'd use for critical listening applications, but useful for testing/demos, and I use it to switch and balance banks of outdoor speakers (porch/deck/garage/yard). Weird but functional screw-in phoenix-type connectors. Looks like this one:

http://www.nilesaudio.com/images/legacy/manuals/svl4abman.pdf

The Adcom unit's good but bigger & only one amp input at a time, pretty sure it's got decent twist-lock terminals.

The Radio Shack unit I have is simpler than the one described above, it's a pure 1 in 4 out switch box- useful if you're careful and don't over/under load the amp. Crappier spring-loaded connections, though.

je

SEAWOLF97
11-25-2006, 06:09 PM
. It also has a "protection" switch, but all this does is put some huge resistors, (about 1" dia. & 6" long), in series with the inputs. I imagine that's what yours does.John

well John, you got me interested so I opened it up to see.....I wired it in today, paying close attention to polarity. Don't know if its the impedance compensating OR if my wiring was off, but the 4410s gained HUGE amounts of bass. That had always been my main complaint with the JBLs. Now GEEZE , they are like different speakers. Have had to throttle back the LF by 3 notches and its still substantial.
Its possible that running them with the big Marantzs as rears had enough phase imbalance to sonically impact whole program ?