PDA

View Full Version : XPL-200A Internal Passive Crossover help

pasadena
11-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi,

Does anyone here have any XPL-200A internal passive crossovers lying around or unmounted from the speaker that pictures can be taken of?

As part of an upgrade process, the internal crossover is next on the list for an upgrade so if anyone here can post/e-mail me close-up pics of the back of the crossover itself would be much appreciated?

A parts list of the crossover would also be useful if anyone has them?

Has anyone here made any changes to the internal crossover's? If so, your comments/thoughts on what you do and what improvements were made?

As DX-1's will be used, only parts of the internal crossover will be upgraded/modified.

Thanks and cheers
Pasadena

Mike Caldwell
11-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Hello
I just happen to have a pair of XPL-200A laying around. The picture I posted is one I already had of both crossover backs. I can get a single close up posted for you.

Mike Caldwell

4313B
11-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Has anyone here made any changes to the internal crossover's? If so, your comments/thoughts on what you do and what improvements were made?I built a biased pair of NXPL200A's. Naturally they kicked ass. I have all the stock XPL200A parts laying on a shelf so if you need DCR's of inductors or anything like that I might be persuaded to measure them all again.

pasadena
11-17-2006, 07:15 AM
I have all the stock XPL200A parts laying on a shelf so if you need DCR's of inductors or anything like that I might be persuaded to measure them all again.

Hi Giskard,

That would be great if you could supply information on the parts along with their measurements and I can then provide these to Ian so he can work out what the best way to upgrade the NXPL200A's.:)

Cheers
Pasadena.

Earl K
11-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Does anyone here have any XPL-200A internal passive crossovers lying around or unmounted from the speaker that pictures can be taken of? As part of an upgrade process, the internal crossover is next on the list for an upgrade so if anyone here can post/e-mail me close-up pics of the back of the crossover itself would be much appreciated?

- I don't understand your request whatsoever !
- Didn't you finally purchase a pair of XPL-200a speakers ( along with the referenced crossovers ) ?
- If so, why can't you just pull a single crossover from your own speaker and then make all the required measurements ( for Ian )?

A parts list of the crossover would also be useful if anyone has them?

- Are you aware, that this site has links posted to the networks' schematic ?
- What do you believe an actual JBL Parts list for this model is going to tell you ?
- Pull a crossover , measure the DCR of the coils & then measure the usuable space between the 2 boards ( as well as the eyelets on the PC boards if you're thinking of reusing these boards with Clarity caps )

:)

4313B
11-17-2006, 09:54 AM
The problem is unsoldering all the parts to get the proper DCR's. I've already sacrificed a network to do it so there probably isn't much sense in sacrificing another.

As for ClarityCaps, I wouldn't go to the bother unless you are going to bias them. Once again, a capacitor is a capacitor and there isn't a single capacitor on the planet that can't benefit from biasing.

I see no physical way to make a decent upgraded network the same size as the stock network. That's the whole point of the stock network being made the way it is. You might want to make it all external like skeptical1 did.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9250

Ian Mackenzie
11-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Mark's been hogging me ..6 emails last night...LOL.

You have to love the passion with this stuff..why else would you try!

We only talked about it in principle but its the obvious thing to do ulimately having improved the biamping and power amp.

If Mark wants to pursue that now you may wish to help him with parts and other information as it will be some time off before I can look at that. New looks to be the only option.

I think too may changes to Marks system at once maybe unwise. I propose to send back a DX1 biased with Greg's other recommendations first (soon, just waiting for parts) then the power amps.

The environmental aspect and ones own preferences have as much to do getting it right as picking out a part on the shelf and saying its the best way to go. Every system is different and what works for one may not work for another at the highest level.

I understand Mark also has relocation plans on the agenda.

Mark,

I wonder if I should come over for a holiday in Feb! Last time was the America's Cup in what was it 1983 when we took it off those damn Yankees...LOL. The buggers did everything in the book to try and keep it, even frog men in the water checking out the keel. Our boat was just too good and they knew it.(Aussies...not to be taken toooooo seriously)

Ian

Robh3606
11-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Hello Giskard

Don't go measuring the coils I have your measurements saved from a PM

Here are the DCR values on all the inductors:
6.0 mH @ .68 ohms
3.5 mH @ 1.2 ohms (added to 6.2 ohm series resistor to obtain 7.4 ohms total)
3.5 mH @ 1.2 ohms (added to 6.2 ohm series resistor to obtain 7.4 ohms total)
1.4 mH @ .58 ohms
1.0 mH @ .87 ohms
0.6 mH @ .63 ohms
0.5 mH @ .56 ohms
0.2 mH @ .58 ohms

Rob:)

Thom
11-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Something else that can be found cheap these days is a pace. There may be other good desoldering devices but they don't have weller written on them.

Ian Mackenzie
11-18-2006, 10:34 PM
For those unaware Mark lives near Perth, around 2000 miles west of my location.

I think Mark's brother inlaw is going to help out with the crossovers when he gets to that stage.

Actually there is an outfit in Perth called WAR Audio that sells crossover parts. They are affiliated with Orca design and manufacturing. http://www.warco.com.au/waraudio/

Ian

morbo!
11-19-2006, 03:42 AM
Ian
is making aus sound better
1 of us at a time!:applaud:

Ian Mackenzie
11-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Hi Matt,

Keep rockin:) .

Mark,

Probably the best local source for the chokes is Voller Transformers (in Melb). Ask Paul (Voller) about winding air cores to spec.

As far as local sourcing is concerned there is WES in Sydney (Solen),Soundlabs in Sydney (Auricap, Mundorfs and Visation and other) and Lede in Darwin (Clarity), and WAR (AXON , Mills), Farnell and RS Components are great for general electronics.

All are great to deal with.

Ian