PDA

View Full Version : More Famous Folk with JBLs

BMWCCA
11-15-2006, 07:53 AM
I recently got the Classic Albums DVD of Steely Dan's Aja. When I saw guitarist Denny Dias in front of a stack of white cones I did a search for info and came up with old archives from this site discussing what some thought were his L150s. Best I can tell, there are four L100s, one apparently missing its LF, but there's something larger than 12" with a black cone right behind Denny and what looks like a butt-cheek bi-radial, though that box would have to be upside down. Hard to tell from the DVD, and there's another shot where you can see something with shiny UHFs behind Denny. At first I thought they might be L112s but then I stopped the video and saw they were blue-faced and they look smaller, maybe 10" and the UHFs don't have screens like the 044s. I'm not that familiar with the smaller JBL monitors but here are two screen shots, one of the large stack and the other the best view of the small monitors. What do you think's going on?
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/DiasJBL.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/capture.jpg

grumpy
11-15-2006, 08:13 AM
4313's

BMWCCA
11-15-2006, 08:54 AM
4313'sThat looks right. And the woofer and black blob next to his watch and left elbow in the first photo? Any guesses? Bueller?

spkrman57
11-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Don't look like 4430's, too small.

mech986
11-15-2006, 11:38 AM
I'd agree, the 4313's for sure, and an upside down 4425. Wonder why the stack was there? Removed from service, damaged and never got around to fixing, made obsolete?

More importantly, where is the studio and do they want to get rid of them? :hmm:

Regards,

Bart

Thom
11-15-2006, 01:39 PM
I know nothing of the speaker, where it was taken, or what his personal taste in home speakers are, so this isn't a slam on anyone. but I used to work with a guy who was close personel friende with Tower of Power and IO met a lot of musicians through him,although it would be a lie to say they were friends of mine or would even remember me. That said we used to go to Keystone Berkely, they would just wave us in, we would go back stage, we would smoke with the bands etc. All this was just a setup to say I was amazed at some of the crummy stereo setups these musicians had. In fact I used to wonder If musicians could really hear. Thats an awful lot of words to say very little but I had to explain how I knew.

SUPERBEE
11-15-2006, 02:08 PM
I have to second this. I have met a lot of pro and semi pro musicians thru the years along with others involved in the music biz and 95% have crappy systems and know very little about quality audio gear. I usually wind up hooking them up with better gear or stearing them on to deals on good vintage stuff.

Its the age old story, The auto mechenic with the crappy cars, the carpenter with the crappy house, or in my case the ex record store owner with the huge LP collection completely out of order.

I know nothing of the speaker, where it was taken, or what his personal taste in home speakers are, so this isn't a slam on anyone. but I used to work with a guy who was close personel friende with Tower of Power and IO met a lot of musicians through him,although it would be a lie to say they were friends of mine or would even remember me. That said we used to go to Keystone Berkely, they would just wave us in, we would go back stage, we would smoke with the bands etc. All this was just a setup to say I was amazed at some of the crummy stereo setups these musicians had. In fact I used to wonder If musicians could really hear. Thats an awful lot of words to say very little but I had to explain how I knew.

hjames
11-15-2006, 02:24 PM

Yeah - but "back in the day" ... of the musicians I knew, all their spare money went into the band gear and racks and axes, etc ... what was left went for rent and food and occasional smoke - very little was left over for hi-fi systems.
A really good friend had her own speakers built, got a nice big classic Marantz amp (don't know the model, sorry) and used it for her "stereo".
When the band came over they mixed live sound through a Mackie and fed that into the "stereo" - it was her practice system as well as her stereo.

Sweet sound too, as I recall.

Rolf
11-15-2006, 03:52 PM
I have read an heard than at least some of the musicians had very good equipment. Our late friend Frank Zappa had Paragon in his music room, and large JBL studio monitors in his private studio. Frank Sinatra is also supposed to use a Paragon.

Anybody knows for sure if this is true?

BMWCCA
11-15-2006, 03:55 PM
I'd agree, the 4313's for sure, and an upside-down 4425. Here's a better shot. I think we can safely say this stack consists of 2 4313s, stacked; two 4425s stacked with both upside down; and four L100s (how'd they sneak into that professional pile?) with the middle of the three-on-top-of-each-other also upside-down. I believe this was shot in about 1999.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/DiasJBL-3.jpg

mech986
11-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Maybe it was the right hand corner of a multi-speaker surround system.....:applaud:

Mebbe' not...:bs: But at least they had the good taste to use JBL's.

Bart

Thom
11-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Anyone who's ever listened to an unmodified parigon knows it's a beautiful impressive piece of furniture.