PDA

View Full Version : I got Pioneer HPM-200s!!!

GordonW
11-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Last thing I needed was ANOTHER pair of BIG speakers... but when Pioneer HPM200s come along, you MAKE ROOM.

Got these, as what I thought was going to be "parts machines"... one of the HPM ribbon cylinders wasn't working, all the woofers needed surrounds, etc. However, I got lucky... took it apart, and one of the terminals at the end of the offending ribbon was black, as if from arcing. Scraped the terminal, put it back together, and SOUND.

Had to refoam all 4 10" woofers, and clean switches (level controls for mids, tweeters and supertweeters)... but IT'S ALIVE! Works perfectly! All original parts... unlike the last pair I had to revive, no retrofitting required!

Good parts in these... looks like all film caps. Definintely not standard Japanese speaker fare!!

And when they rate this thing as having bass down to 25 Hz, they ARE NOT KIDDING. These things are FUN! :D

I have to reiterate my earlier opinion on these... I'd take these over L200s or L300s IN A HEARTBEAT. Much better driver integration, and much smoother response, while still having butt-kicking dynamics, as long as the amp is big enough (100w/ch or better)... Bart Locanthi, thank you!!

Now, if I can just find a place for them to go, so I can actually WALK around here without climbing over them!

Regards,
Gordon.

Robh3606
11-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Nice score Gordon!!!

:useless:

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
11-13-2006, 08:50 PM
... Bart Locanthi, thank you!! That's my mantra... every time the electrons hit my speakers.:)

Oh yeah... Rob is right.

:useless:

Widget

GordonW
11-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Oh, all right...

Mr. Widget
11-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks Gordon... they look fairly respectable and will make a very rewarding restoration project.

Widget

scott fitlin
11-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Nice!