PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles LOVE CD

CONVERGENCE
11-09-2006, 12:33 PM
THIS NEW ALBUM WILL BE OUT IN A FEW WEEKS. It`s a re mixed version of early Beatles song which is now playing in Vegas with the cirque du Soleil show. These Beatle songs have also been recorded in 5.1 for dvd owners.

The sound is new (not compressed) very dynamic . It was made for HI Fi high end sound systems. Not boom box players. Altough it will sound "out of this world"
practically on anny system.

:bouncy:

10 Watt Street
11-09-2006, 02:56 PM
I saw the show and I've been waiting for the disc. Available on CD and with a 5.1 DVD audio only disc. George Martin did the remixes.

http://www.beatles.com/newsletters/Issue_16/index.htm

Titanium Dome
11-09-2006, 04:35 PM
This morning I had a fundraiser for my gang prevention program. We held it at the Home Depot Center Stadium Club, and we included a silent auction.

I ended buying a large framed picture of the Beatles with laser-etched signatures in anodized aluminum of the guys, along with mini album covers from all the original Beatles' albums.

Now there's something else for me to buy: Love.

But didn't the Beatles sing, "Can't buy me love" ? :wtf: :dont-know

jim campbell
11-09-2006, 04:58 PM
why yes ...............as well as money thats what i want

Rolf
11-10-2006, 12:35 AM
I will order this album at my local store today!

Steve K
11-10-2006, 02:02 AM
A good friend of mine recenty turned me on to the Let It Be - Naked CD, which was released quite a while ago. It features tracks from the band's Let It Be album, albeit without the orchestration and additional overdubs which were added to the original soundtrack album only because the producers were worried that the movie might suffer soundwise with just the four boys playing. They were dead wrong on that. The Naked CD proves that the Beatles in 1969 were truly skillfull performers and musical arrangers, both individually and as an unit. If you don't have this album, I heartily recommend it. You won't regret it!

I can't wait for this newly remastered CD, too!

Titanium Dome
11-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Even after all this time, what a great group and fantastic legacy.

I couldn't get a very good shot, even dividing the thing in two, but here's what I added to my Beatles memorabilia yesterday.

Hoerninger
11-10-2006, 12:26 PM
A good friend of mine recenty turned me on to the Let It Be - Naked CD, ...

I can't wait for this newly remastered CD, too!
Thank you for the tip.

On eBay I found the LP-version as well:
European and Japanese version

Does anybody know something about sonical differences of these three versions?

morbo!
11-12-2006, 08:04 AM
yup thanks for the naked tip

I loved it
The only track i really thought was a better original
was no 10 across the universe but it`s all good
this place great for new music finding!

CONVERGENCE
11-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Those of you who got a chance to get the cd before it's 21 November release are lucky.

They played a few songs on the radio . The sound is outstanding.EMI or Abbey Road used a different tape for each take back in the 60's . They never erased a tape for a retake.

Geoff Emerick EMI technician Quoted in an interview:

You used fresh tape for every take?
Yes. That was another one of the rules; we always had to record on virgin tape, because the technical people at the research department said — due to the flux or something — we shouldn't record over.

That is why the sound is stil perfect after all these years.

Bob Womack
11-17-2006, 07:26 PM
The reason you don't reuse tape for important poop is that bias freq is not erased by the machine erase heads. As a result, unless you bulk erase, you get additional noise with each pass.

Bob

Rolf
11-18-2006, 07:25 AM
The reason you don't reuse tape for important poop is that bias freq is not erased by the machine erase heads. As a result, unless you bulk erase, you get additional noise with each pass.

Bob

What the h"#ll are you talking about? We are talking about great sound from THE BEATLES ...:blink:

SUPERBEE
11-19-2006, 01:55 PM
I was always a Rolling Stones / Pretty Things fan myself.

What the h"#ll are you talking about? We are talking about great sound from THE BEATLES ...:blink:

Hoerninger
11-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Finally there is someone who knows the Pretty Things. :applaud:
Superbee, are you European?
Last week I bought Rolling Stones BRAVO LP (German edition) - a reminiscence of my youth .:baby:
I still like'em.

PS: Sorry Rolf! There was a time where someone could be fan either of the Beatles or the Stones. Today I like them both.:)

SUPERBEE
11-19-2006, 03:53 PM
No sir, I am an Oklahoman by way of Missouri. I have been a fan-boy and collector of 60s punk,pop,psych,garage,Mod,soul,R&B,Dutch punk,bla bla bla since 1979

The Pretty's alwys make my top 10. Along with the Byrds, Q65, Television, The Who, Outsiders (Dutch), Stones, bla bla bla........

Nothing much better than firing up the tube amps, making a stiff Vodka tonic, and playing S.F Sorrow thru a set of JBL Olympus at fairly loud volumes.

I think I just laid out my evening plans.:bouncy: :bouncy:

Finally there is someone who knows the Pretty Things. :applaud:
Superbee, are you European?
Last week I bought Rolling Stones BRAVO LP (German edition) - a reminiscence of my youth .:baby:
I still like'em.

PS: Sorry Rolf! There was a time where someone could be fan either of the Beatles or the Stones. Today I like them both.:)

Rolf
11-20-2006, 01:43 PM

Well, that says a lot my friend. We are on two different sound planets. I never liked the Stones, but must admit they have something, I discovered the past 15 years.

Zilch
11-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I never liked the Stones, but must admit they have something, I discovered the past 15 years.Roots, is what.... :thmbsup:

SUPERBEE
11-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Well, that says a lot my friend. We are on two different sound planets. I never liked the Stones, but must admit they have something, I discovered the past 15 years.

Any mid 60s perhaps unknown bands from Norway in a Beatles or Stones style you would reccomend?

Titanium Dome
11-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Any mid 60s perhaps unknown bands from Norway in a Beatles or Stones style you would reccomend?

Not exactly Beatles or Stones, but Savage Rose comes to mind from the late 60s early 70s. The female lead singer, Annisette I think, is a real euro-sex kitten. And like the Stones, they're still playing in one form or another.

I think one of the Koppel brothers passed away recently.

When I hear Lady Madonna or Eleanor Rigby, I immediately think about Your Daily Gift, IMO a song that does what the Beatles did in those two songs only a whole lot better. YMMV, 1960s popster children.

SUPERBEE
11-20-2006, 11:25 PM
TD, Get with the program. Savage Rose self titled and In The Plain was not untill 1968 and 1969. I am looking for mid 60s punk ravers ala Q65. Somewhere between 1964 and late 1967.

Titanium Dome
12-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Easy. I didn't know '64 to '67 were your absolute, stringent guidelines. Sorry to be so far out of your time frame and out of your program. :rotfl:

-------------

Back OT, I picked up The Beatles "LOVE" in the CD/DVD combo set at Target for $13.88. The DVD-A 5.1 mixes are pretty interesting, and the sound quality really is quite good for being 40 years old. This definitely improves on the sound of the old LPs and the old CDs.

If Apple Corps is working on remastering these, it sounds like the material might just have the recording quality to make it worthwhile.

SEAWOLF97
12-21-2006, 09:29 PM
here is an original that I shot of some 60s group. Who was that lead singer ?

hjames
12-22-2006, 04:53 AM
here is an original that I shot of some 60s group. Who was that lead singer ?

Jim - we hardly knew ye!! Passed through the door way too soon!

SEAWOLF97
12-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Jim - we hardly knew ye!! Passed through the door way too soon!

Hey hj:

Time has come today for you to ID these brothers who opened for Jim...

(You darned well better get 2 headliners when you pay $2 for a ticket) :bouncy:

Zilch
12-22-2006, 09:22 PM
"Time!"

[Saw the same show at the Fillmore.... :thmbsup:]

SEAWOLF97
12-22-2006, 10:33 PM
"Time!"

[Saw the same show at the Fillmore.... :thmbsup:]

Zilch ...you are older than I thot , but I saw the Chambers Bros and The Doors at La Playa Stadium , Santa Barbara , summer 68. Home on boot camp leave before my big Asian adventure.
(Joined the Canoe Club to stay out of that mess, but didn't work out like my plans)

Jan Daugaard
12-23-2006, 04:09 AM
The 2nd programme of Danish public service television, DR2, has devoted this evening to the founder of Savage Rose, Thomas Koppel, who died on the 25th of February 2006. There will i.a. be an interview with the widow, Annisette.

hjames
12-23-2006, 06:42 AM
Zilch ...you are older than I thot , but I saw the Chambers Bros and The Doors at La Playa Stadium , Santa Barbara , summer 68. Home on boot camp leave before my big Asian adventure.
(Joined the Canoe Club to stay out of that mess, but didn't work out like my plans)

Yeah. you two are SO much Older ... he he he (just kiddink)

My first concerts were summer of 1970 - at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in MD, I went to 3 shows that year - The Association, Steppenwolf, and The Who (the Who's Next tour).
Janice and Jimmie had played there the year before, which was the first year for that new venue, but I hadn't yet been experienced, so I didn't know to go ...

Storm
12-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Hijames -

Wow, I bet you feel horrible for not seeing Janice Joplin or Jimmie Hendrix.

I guess as they say - reality bites.

Oh well, you got to go see The Who in their prime! I am thinking about going this time around, but I dont know if those guys are going to be able to put on a show or not and their prices are outrageous!

:o:

Happy Holidays.

-Storm

hjames
12-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Hijames -

Wow, I bet you feel horrible for not seeing Janice Joplin or Jimmie Hendrix.

I guess as they say - reality bites.

Oh well, you got to go see The Who in their prime! I am thinking about going this time around, but I dont know if those guys are going to be able to put on a show or not and their prices are outrageous!

:o:

Happy Holidays.

-Storm

Well - since its over 37 years since I missed those shows I've somehow learned to deal with it - :D

Besides, I saw The Band in their golden era, Stills with Manassas, ELP, Grateful Dead a few times (once with the Allman Bros - early 70s) , Hot Tuna, Little Feat (with Lowell George), Blues Project (Reunion tour), and a very drunk Rolling Stones (Exile on Main St tour) who couldn't really play that night ... Oh, and few others like Mahavishnu Orchestra (Birds of Fire tour), Asia (they were the warm up act for Al Dimeola, whoever he is ... :p) and some weirdos like Roxy Music, Zappa and T Dream ...

Titanium Dome
12-23-2006, 01:57 PM
(snip) and some weirdos like Roxy Music, Zappa and T Dream ...

If we Zappa fans weren't such weirdoes ourselves, we might take offense at that. :spin:

jim campbell
12-28-2006, 06:45 PM
joplin and the dead played here with the festival express tour but is was full tilt or cozmic blues not big brother.as i recall people were shocked at the five dollar ticket price and stayed away.i had to work d'oh

morbo!
01-06-2007, 12:45 AM
This thread took a strange turn?

back too the love album!
exelent stuff
i got a few new favorite tracks
:applaud:
and even my mom was blown away i let her control the sterio while she was here
if a old hippy says she has never heard the beatles like that must be on the right track
even with the naked and let it be albums
she could not remember ever hearing it clearer
the (ska)amp

Titanium Dome
01-06-2007, 01:03 PM
I spent the extra few bucks to get both the LOVE CD and LOVE DVD-A in the combo package.

I played the CD several times, both at home and at work and enjoyed the improved quality, clarity, and sonics. There were many obvious improvements even with (or because of) the changes that George and Giles Martin, Ringo, Paul, Olivia, and Yoko made to the original tracks.

I love the original versions, but I'm not so much of an old fart that I can't recognize better versions when I hear them. The fact that original musicians, original production people, and dedicated spouses all were involved and gave a blessing is a big plus, but that might have easily resulted in a clusterf**k instead of an improvement.In this case, it's a big improvement.

How wonderful to hear the Beatles in a new, fresh, genuine, and beautiful rendering!

Now, I finally took out the DVD-A, in part as a result of a short exchange between Ian and me:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=141406&postcount=146

I wanted to see, now that I was accustomed to the updated "look and feel" of the Beatles in LOVE stereo, what my reaction would be in mutlichannel LOVE surround.

One word:

STUNNED.

MJC
01-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I've been saying for as long as I've had a dvd-a/sacd player that those two formats are FAR superior to anything cd.
I have to agree with one of the old Rockers, Steven Stills, Neil Young or who ever it was, that cds are so bad they should have never been brought to market. At least the early ones.
I haven't looked in the local Target lately, but I doubt they have any dvd-a/sacd. Nowhere else around here does any more. I've bought my last 6 or more discs online. With any luck, I've got 3 more in the mail today.
Despite Ian's objections to DD/DTS 5.1 Those formats via DVD-A/DTS discs are, again, FAR superior to cd.
DVD video dts5.1, although not as good as DVD-A, is sill better than anything cd.
If one has any doubts about that listen to Olivia's 'One Woman's Journey' on a combo DVD-A/DTS/DD disc.
Then there is also DTS 96/24, even better. Just not enough titles to chose from.

Titanium Dome
01-07-2007, 04:51 AM
You may have posted this elsewhere, but what player do you have?

Titanium Dome
01-07-2007, 05:04 AM
The 96/24 discs I have are by and large wonderful to listen to. Even some 48/24 discs like Prairie Wind have a wonderful sound.

Nevertheless, they sometimes lack a dimensionality that robs them of their full power. It's often experienced as though the group, ensemble, or orchestra is playing "in my room." As wonderful an experience as that is, I don't imagine any of the artists had my room in mind as a performance venue, and a better experience would be if it sounded like I were in the environment the artists intended, rather than they in mine.

With a well done mutlichannel recording, a decent DAC, a robust multichannel amplifier (or multiple stereo amps) and a finely matched speaker set, this aspiration can be achieved. The JBL Performance Series is ideal in this regard because its output is so uniform from top to bottom, and the drivers are very "fast," which helps immensely in creating the dimensionality noted.

Titanium Dome
01-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Having one of the benchmark DVD-A players, the relatively rare Panasonic XP-50, with 5.1 analog output; running the FAP T1+ as 5.1 direct, with analog bass management; passing the signal to a pair of 200W/ch, JFET/MOSFET, all discrete circuitry five-channel amps; and having a balanced and calibrated quintet of PT800s and PC600 for playback above 80 Hz, the sound from LOVE is truly breathtaking.

Hearing the a capella "Because" is a revelation in vocal purity, ethereal atmosphere, and dimensional openness. If George and Giles Martin wanted me to think I was hearing this outside, sung just for me, that's where I felt I was, not in my house. Ever since I heard this tune for the first time on the Abbey Road LP, I imagined it to be a very spacious, natural, outdoors tune. It is, after all, about the Earth, the wind, and the sky. At the same time, it's very personal and sensory: "...turns me on, ...blows my mind, ...makes me cry." This requires dimensionality and intimacy at the same time. The LOVE DVD-A delivers that experience like never before.

Wonderful, just wonderful...

MJC
01-07-2007, 10:02 AM
You may have posted this elsewhere, but what player do you have?
I'm using a Samsung DVD-A/SACD HD841. Certainly not expensive, by any standards. When I bought it, 2~3 years ago, I could already see the trend of having very little software to buy. So I had no intentions of paying top dollar for a Marantz, Lexicon, Mcintosh, etc. and then have very little to play on it.
The three discs I just bought, showed up yesterday. One has to go back, wrong one. The other two, as it turned out, are DTS CDs, I was thinking they were dvds.
The Bonnie Raitt disc is a dts 20 bit 5.1 and sounds vey good. But the Sheryl Crow dtsES disc seemed to be a bit harsh. I'll have to give another listen, that one may or may not get much play.
The one that I have to send back is a DVD-A, but I've already got that one, right artist, wrong title.

Titanium Dome
01-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Some of the Beatles songs always have had a "big" sound to them. In a stereo sound mix, you could get it loud, but you couldn't always get it big. A pair of gi-normous studio monitors (4435, 4350) would "biggen" up the sound, but only from the front, and then it was just louder again in my room and not bigger than my room.

Take "I Am The Walrus," "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She’s So Heavy)/Helter Skelter," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds," "A Day In The Life," and "Hey Jude" to name some, and put them in 5.1 surround, and THEN you have big sound, dimensional sound, larger than my room sound. Four PT800s, a PC600, three PS1400s, and an HTPS400 all doing their discrete thing will kick the sonic ass of any of the older studio monitor pairs.

If I'm interested in really loud, then I can send the signal digitally and decode it with PLIIx to add two more PT800s to the mix.

Big, clear, precise, loud, dimensional, ass-kicking sound! Listenable at any volume! I can only imagine how this would sound through Project Array. I think K2 S9800s and DD66000s would not work in my room at all for multichannel sound (sound TOO big, room too small), but in the right room either would be the tits.

SEAWOLF97
01-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Hearing the a capella "Because" is a revelation in vocal purity, ethereal atmosphere, and dimensional openness. If George and Giles Martin wanted me to think I was hearing this outside, sung just for me, that's where I felt I was, not in my house.

that is kinda cool. the birds chirping and the fly buzzing around.....and incredible a capella.

SEAWOLF97
01-08-2007, 09:42 AM
I've been saying for as long as I've had a dvd-a/sacd player that those two formats are FAR superior to anything cd.
I have to agree with one of the old Rockers, Steven Stills, Neil Young or who ever it was, that cds are so bad they should have never been brought to market. At least the early ones.

Most of those were AAD's. The D wasn't any better than the A, just straight transfer.

We are getting used to DDD's or at minimum ADD's. (tho starting to see DAD's) :blink:

MJC
01-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Most of those were AAD's. The D wasn't any better than the A, just straight transfer.

We are getting used to DDD's or at minimum ADD's. (tho starting to see DAD's) :blink:
The fact that DVD-A uses a higher sampling frequency than cds is just one of the reasons DVD-A is better. I can hear the difference.

SEAWOLF97
01-08-2007, 07:33 PM
The fact that DVD-A uses a higher sampling frequency than cds is just one of the reasons DVD-A is better. I can hear the difference.

Sampling rate on licorice pizzas is even higher than DVD-A. ;)

("Licorice Pizza" is a humorous reinterpretation of the abbreviation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbreviation) "LP" which is typically black and of about the same diameter as a pizza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza). The term was the name of a well-known record store chain in southern California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California) before vinyl records were overtaken by the compact disc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc))

MJC
01-08-2007, 08:01 PM
An audio compact disc consists of one or more stereo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophonic_sound) tracks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_recording_and_reproduction) stored using 16-bit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16-bit) PCM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation) coding at a sampling rate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_rate) of 44.1 kHz.

CD 16 bit, 44.1 khz sampling rate. Compared to Lossless DVD-A or DTS 96/24, or DTS 20 bit 5.1 music dics.
And they have the nerve to call it CD quality. Now there is an oxymoron.

Titanium Dome
01-08-2007, 09:52 PM
(snip)

CD 16 bit, 44.1 khz sampling rate. Compared to Lossless DVD-A or DTS 96/24, or DTS 20 bit 5.1 music dics.
And they have the nerve to call it CD quality. Now there is an oxymoron.

As I recall, the flippin' music industry railroaded this standard through to prevent full digital copies at 48 kHz. The audio equipment manufacturers were ready to go 48 khz. Of course, the recording industry has a history of screwing its partners and customers to protect its greed machine.

Of course it not only compromised CDs but totally f***ed the potential of DAT in the process, along with the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992.

SEAWOLF97
01-09-2007, 08:46 AM
The OL took off last night and left me home alone. I had not REALLY been able to audition the big OHM F's until then.

So I found my son's copy of BEATLES -LOVE and tossed it in the Carver CD.

Was transfixed. what a great recording. There were 3 or 4 passages ( walrus, octupus garden , come together and SPLHCB ) where I got FULL BODY GOOSEBUMPS from the sound/bass it produced. So enjoyable that I listened to the whole thing again......wonderfull, highly recommended. :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

whizzer
01-09-2007, 11:04 AM
My wife just gave me this recording this past weekend. I'm particularly knocked out by the seamless musical "collages" (such as "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite") that I found peculiarly moving, emotionally, and in a way I don't think a person too young to remember hearing the various components of these collages as something new and different could experience. It's a sort of "recursive" and self-referencing thing that probably wouldn't work without the initial experience. I'm not saying I like these new arrangements "better" OR "less" than the original releases, which I think of as definitive, but they are certainly quite beautiful. I'm hoping for more.

Titanium Dome
01-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Nice observations on the collages. I, too, am moved by them in a surprising way. The more I listen to them, the more I hear, and it's all old and new at the same time: old memories, sounds, events, even smells associated with each snippet, yet coming together like an omelet in a delicious, new, tasty treat.

I think you're right that familiarity with the originals helps; nevertheless, I wish I could be a novice listening for the first time, then going back to the originals to get the source. In literature this works wonderfully in both directions: precedent and antecedent.

MJC
01-09-2007, 06:24 PM
I don't think I've ever heard the Love album. About the only Beatle's album I ever liked was Abby Road.

hjames
01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
I don't think I've ever heard the Love album. About the only Beatle's album I ever liked was Abby Road.

Yeah, its that new one that was remixed by Sir George Martin and his son Giles to be an audio accompaniment to a Cirque de Soleil show in Vegas. Its a sort of mash-up by the Master ...
Very cool stuff, I hear - if you are ok with Beatles released since the black plastic platters of yore.

I've not made the purchase yet - I don't have SACD or DVD-A gear yet (to my knowledge). My Audio CD player is an HK changer, bought used last year strictly to take advantage of a number of HDCD discs I had, and a JVC DVD player that does all kinds of formats including DivX (for all my Doctor Who and Torchwood dloads), Camera memory cards, and MP3 CDs (don't use that feature. But apparently not DVD-A - and I'm out of inputs on the receiver!

SEAWOLF97
01-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Very cool stuff, I hear -I've not made the purchase yet

Heather, I've listened to it 3 times in the last 2 days. Had not purchased a CD for years, but the recording quality is so good, I could not resist.

The opening a capella "because" will just blow you away. I kept looking around the room , hoping to get a glance of one of the fab 4. They sounded like they were in the room.

Some cuts have superlative bass lines. This CD should be the standard demo disk for HiEnd audio stores, and anyone with a system as nice as yours. :)

SEAWOLF97
01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
I, too, am moved by them in a surprising way. The more I listen to them, the more I hear, and it's all old and new at the same time: old memories, sounds, events, even smells associated with each snippet, yet coming together like an omelet in a delicious, new, tasty treat..

TD..
I wish I could have said it as well as you did. Were you a reviewer in a prior life ??

hjames
01-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Heather, I've listened to it 3 times in the last 2 days. Had not purchased a CD for years, but the recording quality is so good, I could not resist.

The opening a capella "because" will just blow you away. I kept looking around the room , hoping to get a glance of one of the fab 4. They sounded like they were in the room.

Some cuts have superlative bass lines. This CD should be the standard demo disk for HiEnd audio stores, and anyone with a system as nice as yours. :)

Thank you! - I gather the album (yes, tell I'm "of an era") comes as a CD or as a DVD-Audio release - and you got the CD version in your Carver CD player?
Hmm . maybe I should dump my old JVC single disc player (rarely used anymore) ... I do have a lead on a Carver CD player locally - what can you tell me about Carver Disc players? :bouncy:

SEAWOLF97
01-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Thank you! - I gather the album (yes, tell I'm "of an era") comes as a CD or as a DVD-Audio release - and you got the CD version in your Carver CD player?
Hmm . maybe I should dump my old JVC single disc player (rarely used anymore) ... I do have a lead on a Carver CD player locally - what can you tell me about Carver Disc players? :bouncy:

HJ
the Carver is silky smooth. The TL (time lens) was the last product actually designed by Carver before the board kicked him out. I found mine in a pile of VCRs at GW. Took it home and powered up only to get a "disk error" . Pulled the cover and noticed that one of the support posts in the drive mech had fatigued and would shift position when the drawer closed....ie: alignment error.
Reglued it and its been perfect.
dont know if this is a common flaw, but if you find one reasonably priced showing this err, it is an easy fix, dont be afraid of it. All the rest is quality construction. Dont know details of the DAC , but it sounds great.
They are not usually over $100 on eBay.
Yes, I got the CD version of "LOVE"

Storm
01-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Just got back from Best Buy and purchased the CD. Opened it up and put it in my car cd player. Wow, I am amazed!

After I finish typing this, I will go put it on my real system and give it a whirl.

Can't wait! Will post review.

-Storm.

Titanium Dome
01-09-2007, 09:33 PM
TD..
I wish I could have said it as well as you did. Were you a reviewer in a prior life ??

No, but I taught English at Western Michigan University for four years in the early 80s. I also got to teach film there. I was there when Lennon died and made the students sit through a memorial to him and his music. Took my L100s, turntable, and receiver into class with me to play the music.

It's great to hear him so alive and sassy on Beatles LOVE. It's equally wonderful to hear George sounding young, healthy, and full of joy.

Titanium Dome
01-09-2007, 09:39 PM
(snip)

Heather

I think it comes in two packages. One is the CD alone, and the other is a two disc CD and DVD-A combo. I bought the combo pack at Target for just a couple of bucks more that the CD alone, and even then it was under $16 at the time.

I'm not sure if the CD package has it, but I got a nice, colorful, 28-page booklet with intros by George and Giles Martin, a little technical info, and page after page of pictures. For those who got the CD, was the booklet in there, too?

TD

Storm
01-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Got the booklet in mine.

Decided not to get the $19.99 version with 5.1 on it. Instead, just bought the CD and it was $13.99 at Best Buy.

-Storm.

Storm
01-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Finished listening to entire album.

What a treat - love those guys!

Wish I was born during that era - would have loved to see them in action.

Oh well, this CD is the next best thing - I suppose.

Very nice work on mixing - and the transitions to each song are superbly executed.

Plan to listen to this CD again in the morning and it is for sure going in my favorites pile.

:)

Thanks for this thread, or else I would have never even heard of the CD. Good work, team!

-Storm.

jim campbell
01-10-2007, 09:52 AM
by the time the beatles had started their best stuff they had quit performing live.the impossibility of doing live versions of complex multi instrumental music had forced them out of the concert venues.in the beatlemania days most of their live shows were so full of teen aged girls screaming that little could be heard above the din anyhow.

MJC
01-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I picked up the combo set. I gave the cd disc to my daughter.
That dvd 5.1 is really something to hear. I listened to the entire thing, except SF, SPLHCB. Never liked those two songs.

I listened via analog true dvd-a and thru the digital coax. On a couple of songs via digital(L7 & PLIIx) they were almost instrumental only, as the voice track was very low and in the background. But having equal level of music on at least 6 of 7 channels was fanstastic.

by the time the beatles had started their best stuff they had quit performing live

Actually, by the time they did their best(Abby Road, imho) they were just short of breaking up.

jim campbell
01-16-2007, 03:15 PM
thats a favorite of mine too but i consider the stuff from around rubber soul/revolver on as the beginning of their best period. let it be i can live without.

Titanium Dome
01-16-2007, 03:21 PM
by the time the beatles had started their best stuff they had quit performing live.the impossibility of doing live versions of complex multi instrumental music had forced them out of the concert venues.in the beatlemania days most of their live shows were so full of teen aged girls screaming that little could be heard above the din anyhow.

When you think about concerts today, they're not much improved over the 60s. Band in front, big stacks and racks of equipment, lights, noisy crowd. I'll allow that the recent concert I heard with the JBL Vertec Arrays was absolutely, brilliantly stunning, but otherwise, not much different, except when they used the side and rear arrays for specific musical effects. Then effing awesome.

In the studio, the equipment and the capabilities are far ahead of 40 years ago, and home equipment is far superior. Imagine if the Beatles could grapple with these possibilities at the peak of their power. Who today is able to use today's superior technology in conjunction with superior talent?

Not many. Porcupine Tree is having a go at it. Crystal Method maybe. Good ol' Neil Young.

The Beatles, in 30–40 year old recordings, sound better and adapt more gracefully to multichannel sound than 97% of the tossers out there selling multi-platinum, shit-covered CDs, riding around in limos with their freaking entourages and platinum crack pipes.

SEAWOLF97
01-16-2007, 03:35 PM
The Beatles, in 30–40 year old recordings, sound better and adapt more gracefully to multichannel sound than 97% of the tossers out there selling multi-platinum, shit-covered CDs, riding around in limos with their freaking entourages and platinum crack pipes.

Don't hold back , TD..

how do you really feel about the current offerings ? :)

jim campbell
01-17-2007, 12:36 PM
change a word here an there and that could have been my rant.the other side of that coin is that modern rock bands have the collected works and musical innovations of the last 40 years to draw/steal from.still there is lots of good stuff out there but i find like everything else it has become a cottage industry and off the radar of the corporate sponsored crap out there

SEAWOLF97
01-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Hey Jim

Come on by sometime when you are in the area. Most anything of mine that we can demo, I think you wud like . :applaud:

jim campbell
01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
sounds like a plan.i have friends in the vancouver area and have threatened to visit for years.in addition to the rock stuff i have an healthy stash of jazz,roots blues,country,southern,and i pick up the old library of congress field recordings when i see them.i should just upload a list of titles but until i become computer savvy;well .......

Steve Schell
02-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Is anyone but me bothered by all the remixing and recombining done on the Love CD? I know the project was done for a stage show and probably worked well in that context, but it bugs me nevertheless that such classic material should be tampered with. Giles Martin mentioned in the liner notes that he felt like he was painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa when he began mixing... I agree.

SEAWOLF97
02-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Is anyone but me bothered by all the remixing and recombining done on the Love CD?

doesnt bother me. sound quality is so good and many tracks feel like new. And the originals are still there on other discs if you want, so whats the harm ?? Its not like singing the US National anthem in Spanglish.

Titanium Dome
02-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Is anyone but me bothered by all the remixing and recombining done on the Love CD? I know the project was done for a stage show and probably worked well in that context, but it bugs me nevertheless that such classic material should be tampered with. Giles Martin mentioned in the liner notes that he felt like he was painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa when he began mixing... I agree.

Steve

As you can tell from my other posts in this thread, I am totally on board with what they did. Especially considering the involvement of Ring and Paul and the approval of Yoko and the Harrison estate, there's certainly nothing like deliberate defacement going on, and of course Giles comes on quite strong in his belief in the process once it's under way.

Those who want it the old way can easily get it as SEAWOLF97 writes. For those of us who want more and want it in 5.1 surround to boot, here it is. :)

jim campbell
02-19-2007, 01:24 PM
as long as the producers are skillful and respectful of the artist(s). i would hate to be subjected to another stars on long play debacle.i was upset when zappa redid some of his stuff but i could have lived with it if the original was out there also

briang
02-24-2007, 11:08 PM
I picked up the CD/DVD-A combo pack tonight. Made my wife very happy (she's a much bigger Beatles fan than am I)

Very well done remastering. The 5.1 24/96 DVD-A section output via the 5.1 analog outputs from my relatively inexpensive Integra DPS-6.5 was a joy to hear.

My wife and I commented to each other about all the musical detail we had not heard in previous Beatles releases.

I thank you all for this discussion. Had the thread not been here, I would have likely passed this work up. :)

Now, if only more recordings were released/re-released on higher resolution formats, I'd go poor replacing my whole library.

Hoerninger
02-25-2007, 12:19 AM

I thank you all for this discussion. Had the thread not been here, I would have likely passed this work up. :)

Now, if only more recordings were released/re-released on higher resolution formats, I'd go poor replacing my whole library.
Seeing it just like you :)
I'm still wondering. At AMAZON.DE I found quite a lot "audio dvd", much more than at AMAZON.COM. The (englisch) reviews can be very informativ.

Google can be helpful as well.

Steve Schell
02-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Briang, despite my carping about the remixing present in Love, I agree completely on the sonics of the DVD-A, which are an absolute joy. Now if they would just take all 60 or 80 takes of every Beatles song in the vaults and issue them all in high res format then I would enjoy taking a year off and listening to them all!

Titanium Dome
02-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I just got in from a long, long day, and there's a place for the Beatles at the end of a long day. It's nice to have them sounding this good.

hjames
02-25-2007, 06:09 AM
One of my birthday presents from Emma was the DVD-A and CD combo of "Love". I've really enjoyed it, its a fun romp - but I haven't really played the CD version yet ... I think Sir George Martin and Son did an Excellent Job with this music.

Thanks to everyone here who recommended it!

I just got in from a long, long day, and there's a place for the Beatles at the end of a long day. It's nice to have them sounding this good.

SEAWOLF97
02-25-2007, 10:05 AM
when I am demo-ing speakers for someone, I put on track 1 . The airiness of "Because" gets a big smile on their face, BUT then when we hit the opening to "Get Back" (track 2), that smile turns into a huge grin. :bouncy:

witweew
05-13-2008, 12:53 PM
....yeah -- i agree, people are basically getting sick of the

same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t...:bs:..

and there is just this big upsurge from a new style

coming out of Europe -- best place i've found it so
:banghead:
far is a compilation series called 'euro club hits' on itunes

CONVERGENCE
05-13-2008, 03:50 PM
The first albums up to Sgt Peppers were mixed on early tube EMI mixer and this first transistor EMI mixer.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q18/CONVERGENCE_2006/EMIMIXER.jpg

The monitors were early Altec 604 in the 612 cabinets.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q18/CONVERGENCE_2006/beatles605_1.jpg

SEAWOLF97
05-01-2012, 04:19 PM
here goes....;)

'Material World' reveals much about Beatle

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/01/showbiz/music/george-olivia-harrison-material-world/index.html

which quotes an interview with George Martin ..on a subject I've not considered.

Martin:Marty [Scorsese] would want the song, say, "All Things Must Pass," which is a classic track from a classic album, but it's made for vinyl. And if you played it in the cinema, it wouldn't be the way you remember it sounding. It would sound small. So you're ripping everything apart and putting it together so it sounds how you think you should remember it. And that's a challenge, because you have to pay utmost respect to the original creation, and at the same time, you have to rub everyone's memories the right way.