PDA

View Full Version : T510a

Phil Jeffery
12-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Hi,

In a sad circumstance, a friend's Westrex T510A (which I did not know existed 'til I saw it in the flesh this afternoon) has had the cone damaged.

Obviously he wants to listen to them rather than just gaze in awe, but what the hell would you use in a recone? Obviously it would have to be NOS, but I'd be real suprised if there was any recone kit for this driver.

I'll post a few pics of it for you to have a look at, there are more on my picture gallery if you'd like to see, go to the link below, they are near the bottom.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~castle99/gallery.html

Hmm, you may have to go there anyway, I have never added multiple pics here before, & they are not opening up in the message preview. Sorry about all the irrelevant shots on my webpage gallery!

Here's a picture of the tear, which I reckon may be worth trying to repair rather than replace;

[/img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~castle99/mypic29.JPG[/img]

Have you ever seen this tag before?!

[/img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~castle99/mypic32.JPG[/img]

This is the front of the driver

[/img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~castle99/mypic30.JPG[/img]

One more of the rear of the driver

[/img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~castle99/mypic33.JPG[/img]

The other driver has some small tears in the surround material, which I don't think go all the way through.

It's such a bloody shame that these have managed the last umpteen years without sustaining damage only to cop it in this last week. Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Phil

Oldmics
12-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Howdy,Sorry to see the damage.There is good news in the fact that this Westrex speaker is the same as a JBL 150-4C.I have the JBL cone kit for this repair in stock.PM me and we can discuss this.Now that foam edge Gauss shown in the pics is a rare bird.Ain"t this a great site!!!!!!!!!!!! Best regards,Oldmics

Phil Jeffery
12-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Hi Oldmics,

That's good news! I thought that the 150 code on the rear may have been significant. I'll let my mate know & PM you, thanks.

I got the Gauss's from a pair of SAEs. They needed a bit of attention, but are ready for action now. Tapping the cone is like tapping a Terracotta pot! Fs of 17hz or something supposedly. I need to find out a suitable enclosure to build, one of these days I'll query it at the off topic forum. One of my best leads on a 'net search is that one Don McRitchie has a pair of SAEs as his HT rears.

Regards,
Phil

Earl K
12-11-2003, 06:19 AM
Hi Phil / OldMics

That cone may still be repairable ( for lighter duty ) if the coil hasn't been "put-out of round" by the obvious mishap .

<> EarlK:)

Phil Jeffery
12-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Hi Earl,

That was my hope. Pressing gently down revealed no rubbing of the coil. It was shipped wrapped in bubble wrap which looks to have impinged on the cone area. With it sealed up in bubble wrap, I assume a percussive type of thing which just split the cone. This in spite of my mate asking the guy to bolt the faces together. Aargh!

After discussion with the owner, he has decided he's deadset against the idea of patching the tear; I can't say I blame him, but it should be at least worth the attempt eh?

Thanks & regards,
Phil

Earl K
12-13-2003, 06:43 AM
Hi Phil

I'm guessing the owner of the traumatized speaker wants what he paid for- ie a good looking & functionally working cones. I can't blame him at all for being insistent on maintaining that "position". And ( I guess someone ) should buy Oldmics 150' cone to make good that wish.

If all that comes to pass, I'd still recommend that the damaged cone first be salvaged from the basket. Its' rare & worth the time . In other words, someone should spend a day lifting the cork gaskets , finding a way to remove/release the surround edge from its glued lip & then trying to pry-up the spider from its; glued-in position. Spiders can be replaced - but afixin a new- and proper cone surround is another matter. An expert ( & I mean expert ) reconer/speaker "restorer" can manage all of the preceeding .

regards <. Earl K :)

Oldmics
12-13-2003, 12:35 PM
Lifting an installed cone from and old frame is a really tough and time consuming chore.The sucess rate is akin to playing the lottery.Its a battle to see what will fail first,either the old adhesive or the cone surround.Every attempt is an individual salvage operation.Since the cone is trashed on that 150 you have nothing to loose and if you want to attempt to salvage the cone-Go for it!!.I would definatly try to save the coil. All of the 150 assembles that I have reconed were all due to coil failure.It would be nice to see an original coil to ascertain the differences (if any)in materials compared to todays build quality.Good luck,Oldmics

Phil Jeffery
12-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Hey Guys,

I've got a guy over here that does nice work. He has done good repairs for me on JBL, Altec, Gauss, Lowther, Goodmans. I generally try to source the parts for him to do the work...he's one of those guys who thinks we're a little bit loopy for sticking to original parts.

If it all comes together, I will try to sit in on the repair to take some close-ups of the VC assembly, & to take the remnants of the cone before he throws it in the bin. Maybe my mate will let me keep it for the spadework I'm doing for him! It's probably as close as I'll ever get to owning a pair.

All this just goes to show you have to spell it out to the shipper & insist on him carrying out your instructions. I thought the guy who sent these to me sounded like he knew what he was doing..........

Oldmics
12-13-2003, 09:31 PM
AAHHHHHH , Generic cone for an Altec 515.