PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing Santana II speakers??

sblagg
12-10-2003, 10:29 PM
Can anyone give me any info (as detailed as possible) about these speakers? I have found a pair for $99, I am interested in purchasing them but do not know very much about them. Any information would be appreciated--thank you!

Mr. Widget
12-11-2003, 12:23 AM
You might try poking around on the Altec portion of the Lansing Heritage Library on this site.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1976-home/page09.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/altec.htm

buzzyh
01-09-2004, 01:31 PM
I purchased a pair in 1976 for About $250 (a good price then, i think retail at the time was $250 each) They handle 75 watts.
make nice controll room monitors if you raise and flip them. I blew the tweeters( loud monitoring of guitar) during 5 year warranty and had them replaced. I had to replace surrounds about 10 years ago. They work fiine. I may have the original brochure around somewhere. If i find it I'll post it.

thevott
01-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Very nice slate-top end table speakers. My friend had a pair years ago that sounded great but kept blowing tweeters. He replaced them at least twice on both speakers.
MP

Mike C
01-10-2004, 05:03 AM
those speakers are wonderful sounding things, my daughter Stacie has a pair in her system. She swears by them!!! ok she's only ten but you can garantee her ears are a lot more critcal than ours. Seriously they would be a great investment, we paid $450 AU for our pair and they really are a joy to listen to.
Mike.......

AudioGeek
01-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Do they sound anything like Mesa Boogie amps? :duck:

keith kupec
02-19-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi,

Have a pair of AL Santana II's. I've been having a problem with the tweeter sounding scratchy at lower volumes. It will clear up when the volume is raised but still doesn't have the clarity it should. I replaced the two capacitors in each speaker to no avail. Noticed several posts mention blown tweeters in this model. Is there a way to verify the tweeter is bad and if they are, what type of replacement do I need? Any help appreciated...

thanks,

keith