PDA

View Full Version : Timbre matching question....

Shawn474
11-08-2006, 12:14 PM
I know there is a lot of talk with audiophiles regarding timbre matching and was wondering if someone could tell me whether or not my set-up is "Timbre matched". I have JBL E50's for the front, JBL EC35 center, JBL E20's for the rears and an E250P subwofer. I like the way it sounds and am unlikely to change unless there is real reason to suspect that this set-up is not optimal. I liked the EC35 because of the 3 way design, but have heard this may be overkill for my set-up. Thoughts on swapping that out to an EC25 and if that would make a sonic or tonal difference. Thanks for any input.

Take Care,
Shawn

Robh3606
11-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I like the way it sounds and am unlikely to change unless there is real reason to suspect that this set-up is not optimal.

Hello Shawn

From what you wrote sounds like there simply is no issue. Voicing is important or the pans will sound unatural as you will hear tonal changes from speaker to speaker. You also have to remember even with 3 identical speakers you room has enough of an influence to mess the "timbre matching" up as well. If your happy go drop on a video and don't worry about it. As far as changing well ask to demo one with the condition you can return it. Go back to however you got the originals from. They will probably be willing to help you out. If not purchase one and make sure you can return it. Just give it a week or 2 in your set-up to make sure you really have a change for the better and not something that's just different.

Rob:)

Don Mascali
11-08-2006, 06:22 PM
IMHO the fronts and center are the most important for pans across the screen, especially for a large projection screen like I use, where it is 12 feet across the front. The Experts here sold me on that and I find it very true. It was a very perceptable difference.

I use some Pro Home brewed stuff and a pair of L100s are my rears until I get the time to build something. Frankly there just isn't much comming out of them if everything is set up right.

Your speakers seem to be pretty evenly matched. Play with positioning and upgrade as the Muse hits you.

Good listening,

Don M

Titanium Dome
11-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Unless there is an economic reason to consider swapping the EC35 for an EC25, don't do it. The EC25 is decidedly less satisfying and there will likely be a notable change for the worse.