PDA

View Full Version : LaserDisc Players, Accessories, and Media

Titanium Dome
11-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Here is a general purpose thread for LaserDisc enthusiasts, diehards, and blowhards. If it's in the wrong forum, someone will move it.

If you'd like to attack or criticize LD, please start a separate thread. Thanks!

Titanium Dome
11-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Well, to be fair, it was JBL, Pioneer, and Technics that got me into LaserDisc.

After many faithful years of service by my L100s and Kenwood electronics, I went into Montgomery Wards (a now defunct department store chain in the US) at Maple Hill Mall in Kalamazoo to buy an Apple computer. Between the computers and the door was the "Electric Avenue" section of Wards, full of consumer level home audio and video stuff.

There were some brand new Technics Dolby ProLogic receivers on display, including one hooked up to a Pioneer LaserDisc player. It was showing the typical demo disc with exciting scenes from blockbuster movies: Top Gun, etc. All of this was being done through a TV and two el cheapo JBL surround speakers!

I was wowed by the video, not so impressed by the audio, and continued on to the computers.

A few weeks later, I was at ABC Warehouse in Portage, MI, and there on an end cap were two JBL L7 speakers. I instantly coveted them, and due to a number of factors, including brilliant negotiations, I eventually got them, some superfine big-ass speaker cable, and two new Soundcraftmen A200 amp for around $1300.

Read all about it here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72649&postcount=17

:rotfl:

Anyway, once I had those bad boys with my L100s for surrounds, it was inevitable that I went back to Wards and got the Technics ProLogic receiver and one of the demo Pioneers for cheap, and I was in HT heaven.

I was ignorant, but I was in heaven.

mikebake
11-06-2006, 06:40 PM
When I worked at a dealership, Toyota made us buy a giant commercial Pioneer LD player, one that was really for commercial TV stations etc. It was a beast. The dealership never really used it much, and gave it to me later. I enjoyed it for quite awhile and then sold the player and all the discs to someone on ebay. That player was such a tank; very heavy and pretty neat. Unfortunately one more thing I didn't have room for.

clmrt
11-06-2006, 07:34 PM
I have enough LD's to warrant a backup player in case my 504 blows up one day.

I first got into it because Disney LD's were plentiful and cheap compared to the DVD's. My daughter has quite the colletion.

Looking for a '97...

Fred Sanford
11-06-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm getting into them in my usual backwards way- my clients and co-workers are now gradually removing them from their systems and giving away their players & collections. I've ended up keeping just the Pioneer combo DVD/LD players and giving away the Marantz/Denon/Mits & other Pioneer players that have followed me home. Actually, I also gave away two of the combo players, leaving me with about 5, currently.

The Living Room system in my new house will have a Pioneer DVL-90 (among other sources) into a Yamaha RXV-1000 surround receiver powering five JBL L46s with an NHT subwoofer. Video screen is a 42" Sony LCD rear-pro. This system is mostly stuff I actually paid for, with the exception of the LD player and four of the L46s. This room will also have another music-only stereo system with the JBL 4333As. Not sure yet what will power them, I may biamp them with Adcom amps. Pics of the temp setup in this room are in the gallery, which doesn't seem to be working lately.

In the basement I'll have a Pioneer DVL-91 into a Marantz DP870 AC3 decoder, slated to then run through an Adcom GTP600 preamp and some Adcom power amps into Canton speakers and a Velodyne sub. I've also just picked up some Faroudja pieces that might help make the most of the LD's video output. Video monitor is likely to be an NEC plasma. Pretty sure this system will be 100% client castaways.

In my Mother-In-Law's house in PA I set up a nice little theater, with a Pioneer DVL-909 into a Marantz Pro-Logic receiver with Boston Acoustics speakers and a sub I can't remember. Display is a 42" Fujitsu plasma. System is all remote-controlled by a Crestron system with a wireless touchpanel. I think this rig totalled out at ~$65, mostly repairs for blown drivers in the Boston Acoustics.

More about the discs and players and gear later- for now, if anybody's looking for a job in the AV field in the NYC area, let me know- I'm quitting and moving out of town and my company's actively hiring. Lots of challenging fun for the system designer in you, and lots of loot for the bottom-feeder in all of us...

je

P.S. to Ti Dome- I just got a copy of a Pioneer demo disc this weekend. Do you know if it was this one you were watching?

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc.php?id=19614

mikebake
11-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Whaddaya gonna do, Fred?

Fred Sanford
11-07-2006, 04:54 AM
I've interviewed at three places in my new area, roughly in the same field but not nearly at the same level as the market in NYC. Gotten great responses so far. Smaller scale systems, more commercial work, and hopefully less stress and fewer work hours. We'll see.

I'm sure there's going to be a shortage of rich folk's trash, but I honestly have enough toys for now...no, really. 22 van loads so far, 6 of those with trailers, and I haven't even moved any of my wife's stuff yet. Two more van loads & one more trailer load moving this month.

je

mikebake
11-07-2006, 05:07 AM
I've interviewed at three places in my new area, roughly in the same field but not nearly at the same level as the market in NYC. Gotten great responses so far. Smaller scale systems, more commercial work, and hopefully less stress and fewer work hours. We'll see.

Good for you! I just made a similar move. Glad I did.

GordonW
11-07-2006, 09:39 AM
It was japanese animation (anime) that got me into LDs. Got quite a few import LD's, including more than one title that never got commercially released in the US.

I've gone through several LD players, in the quest... started with an old Sony top-loader, then to a Pioneer early-generation front-loader, to one that I've kept for the last 10 years... a Pioneer CLD1070, from about 1990. Bulletproof player, sounds GREAT on audio (better than or equally as good as most CD players of any price, that I've compared it to).

I've also got a couple of backup players... a Curtis-Mathes player, that's a dead ringer for the CLD1070 (even uses a Pioneer remote, that was easier to find than the Curtis-Mathes remote)... a Marantz double-side (plays both sides) LD player that I need a remote control for (hey Fred, got any extra Marantz LD remotes? :D ), and a more-recent Pioneer CLD-S104 that I've decided to sell, since I really don't need FOUR players...

I've got about 60 LDs total... but my real insanity is not having those, but actually HAVING and KEEPING the even more archaic format, CED/RCA SelectaVision capacitance video disk players. Got a working RCA SelectaVision player, and about 80 disks or so for it, INCLUDING an original copy of Pink Floyd at Pompeii!

I'd really like to get the Marantz into the system, because, well, the system has a Marantz SR4600 receiver in it, and matching Marantz would be nice. :) Also, the Marantz player does coax AC3 output... which would be a cinch to hook up to the SR4600. Would be neat to be able to do Dolby Digital from the LD!

Regards,
Gordon.

Titanium Dome
11-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey Gordon

I got about a dozen or so CED discs mixed in with a lot of LDs I bought a couple of years back. Honestly, I don't remember what I did with them; I might have thrown them away or they might be in the garage in a box.

If indeed I still have them I'll give them to you for the price of shipping. Packing is on me! Let me know if you want me to look. I can't remember titles, except possibly The Eiger Sanction with Clint Eastwood and George Kennedy.

GordonW
11-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey Gordon

I got about a dozen or so CED discs mixed in with a lot of LDs I bought a couple of years back. Honestly, I don't remember what I did with them; I might have thrown them away or they might be in the garage in a box.

If indeed I still have them I'll give them to you for the price of shipping. Packing is on me! Let me know if you want me to look. I can't remember titles, except possibly The Eiger Sanction with Clint Eastwood and George Kennedy.

Dude! PM me with some titles! If they're stuff I don't already have then heck yes! :D

Regards,
Gordon.

clmrt
11-07-2006, 09:57 AM
The 4600 has a demodulator in it? Coool.

I'd like to get the Sherwood pre that has not only the AC3 feature, but also a phono pre. Then I could dump two boxes (Yama DDP-1 and a phono pre), and simplify things greatly....

Titanium Dome
11-07-2006, 09:57 AM
About a year after I got the ProLogic set up running, I started to get annoyed by the disparity in sound between the HF on the L7s vs. the L100s. The novelty had worn off, and I started to think more critically about the whole experience.

So off I went to Highland Appliance which carried a pretty full line of JBLs. (It's now out of business. :( ) I came out with a nice pair of LX300s to use as rears and placed them conveniently on some end tables.

At this point, one of the most unusual things happened. My second son, who was in HS at the time, out of the blue showed up with a very nice pair of speaker stands, which he gave to me. He purchased them with his part-time job money at Little Caesar's Pizza and brought them home after hearing me wish for better placement of the surround speakers. I was--and still am--stunned by this. It was the first of many times that he "paid me back" (his words) for everything I'd done for him. Special. I still use the stands today.

GordonW
11-07-2006, 10:01 AM
The 4600 has a demodulator in it? Coool.

I'd like to get the Sherwood pre that has not only the AC3 feature, but also a phono pre. Then I could dump two boxes (Yama DDP-1 and a phono pre), and simplify things greatly....

Most "better" Dolby Digital processors can handle decoding AC3, IIRC.

Rare to find a box with both DD/DTS processing and phono preamps, anymore. I tend to SNAG those things, whenever I find them. Make great gifts to friends, if I can get 'em at good prices. I've set up three friends with HT systems using stuff like these, and various speakers I've rebuilt/built from scratch/modified...

Regards,
Gordon.

Rolf
11-07-2006, 03:41 PM

I first got into it because Disney LD's were plentiful and cheap compared to the DVD's. My daughter has quite the colletion.

Looking for a '97...

You bring up a BIG problem here ... On TV commercials they say " Now available on Disney DVD ... " I have asked my retailer for a "Disney DVD player", as an add on to my regular DVD player ... He does nor have it, so I can't buy and play Disney DVD's ... What to do? :blink:

Tom Brennan
11-07-2006, 03:42 PM
I still use my player, a Pioneer CLD 704 or some such thing, once in a while. It's still the only good way to watch Taras Bulba and Northwest Passage.

Fred Sanford
11-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Gordon- I'll check for Marantz LD remotes, there was a great cleansing at our office recently, so pickin's are slim. Any Pronto or Marantz RC5000 or similar could get you going with off-the-web codes, even your receiver remote might have the basics. Ah, there's a possibility- the higher-end Marantz receiver remotes of that time would have a section for LD.

Ti- what do you think of the LX300s? I bought my parents pairs of LX600s and LX300s years back, and even though they play very unexciting music very quietly, I'm always surprised by the LX600s. I also gave my brother a pair of 62Ts, can't find any lit on those.

je

Fred Sanford
11-07-2006, 07:37 PM
By the way, for LD freaks, I have a McIntosh MAC-3 surround decoder that's destined for E-Bay. I've got a .pdf of the owner's manual if you're curious of the features & setup, there's also one on the site listed below. Last one I watched on the 'Bay went for ~$515, I'd love to trade it for a pair of LE111As or the cash equivalent (especially if Giskard is still sitting on a pair of them). Let me know if there's any interest.

Look here, under "Home Theater"

http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/Frame_McIntosh.htm

The more I look at it, the more I want to keep it...so, somebody take it away quick. Buy yourself something nice for Christmas.

Thanks,

je

Titanium Dome
11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Inspired by the "Your first CD?" thread, I started thinking about this.

The player is easy, a Pioneer CLD-S201. It's a single side LD/CD player with no digital video features, and it only has composite video out. Yet it produces one the best pictures, even today, of the many LD players I've owned.

I had to do a little digging on the first discs. Like with CDs, I bought my first two LDs at the same time. One was The Last of the Mohicans (1992) and Sting's The Soul Cages Concert (1991).

Titanium Dome
11-08-2006, 08:26 PM
(snip)

Ti- what do you think of the LX300s? I bought my parents pairs of LX600s and LX300s years back, and even though they play very unexciting music very quietly, I'm always surprised by the LX600s. I also gave my brother a pair of 62Ts, can't find any lit on those.

je

The LX300s are nice little speakers. The Ti tweeter is quite capable, and the 6.5" mid/woofer is good for what it does. Still, they're long since retired from active duty. My plan is to take them up north with a sub, receiver, and DVD player and make a nice little system for my GF's parents.

JBL 4645
11-10-2006, 02:12 PM
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/3/158472.jpg

Interesting thought you made there mate, I never looked at it in that way before.

So how did I get involved with buying a Laserdisc player, well I’d blame JBL and the Lucasfilm THX sound system, the year was 1989 just after seeing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade at the CIC Empire Leicester square in London got me hooked slowly but surly into JBL Laserdisc and THX over the few years that laid ahead.

First it was three JBL Control 5 monitors matching for the front channels, this was around early 1990, about two years later I brought a Pioneer Laserdisc player, CLD-1750 NTSC/PAL for £450.00 UK the JBL Controls cost about? £350, £375.00 UK.

Then about ten years or less later I brought home THX a very affordable AVR Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select for £450.00 and with the current set-up with a huge JBL 4645 Sub bass in the room it was coming together picture and sound without the artefacts that normally happen with Hi-Fi Stereo VHS.

Laserdisc really shined with flying colours all my friends where more than impressed with the technology of the Laserdisc. I remember a friend and his young son popped around to view hear and feel, The Matrix and he was hooked by that film from the first 7 minutes.

To this day I’m running two Pioneer Laserdisc players Pioneer CLD 1750 NTSC/PAL and Pioneer CLD 2950 NTSC/PAL…

Laserdisc is only retired it’s still around with the Laserdiscs that can be picked up off the Ebay or the http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/pioneer1.htm (http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/pioneer1.htm)

Long Live Laserdisc…

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/3/158045.jpg

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/3/158473.jpg

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/3/158474.jpg

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/3/158478.jpg

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/3/158218.jpg

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/3/158219.jpg

Fred Sanford
11-13-2006, 10:49 AM
I asked at my office about Marantz LD remotes, all loose remotes are now in a big box in our warehouse- not sure how that helps anybody, but that's where they are now. I'll see if I can get a chance to rummage there, but once you give notice to leave, they don't usually invite you to go swipe stuff out of storage.

I added a pic of some LD players into the galleries, too. I should be able to get a shot of my LD library this weekend, and hopefully take notes to finish a spreadsheet on them, which I could then use to update my collection on www.lddb.com (http://www.lddb.com)

http://lddb.com/collection.php?action=list&user=jdeavs (http://lddb.com/collection.php?action=list&user=jdeavs)

...that's showing 45 of my ~110 discs at this moment.

I've got to make a list of my doubles, too...

je

JBL 4645
11-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Fred

I’m registered to the Laserdisc UK, not too sure how to upload all my laserdiscs to the database system on the site, I only joined around 6 weeks ago.

Fred Sanford
11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
I've learned a bit about the players from the UK site, but haven't checked out their "collection management" area. The LDDB site searches very easily by the reference # on the spine of most disc's covers, and gives some insight into the disc's aspect ratios and surround modes (which are often unclear from the covers themselves). Seems like a good resource to me. Click on the reference # of any of my discs to see what I mean.

je

hjames
11-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Scary - I just ran across a video on YouTube - a 1984 commercial with DEVO selling Pioneer laserdisc technology...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WtGuS_dY4A&mode=related&search=

Titanium Dome
11-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Scary - I just ran across a video on YouTube - a 1984 commercial with DEVO selling Pioneer laserdisc technology...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WtGuS_dY4A&mode=related&search=

You may find this even scarier. I have that LaserDisc. :shock:

JBL 4645
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
What’s scarier I don’t have that Laserdisc but after seeing that demo that was a real treat.:bouncy:

Titanium Dome
11-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, the pictures suck. Either I had the shakes or I just did a crappy job, but they kind of remind me of the PQ of early players and discs, and I'm not going to do them again.

Anyway, for your edification. :rotfl:

JBL 4645
11-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, the pictures suck. Either I had the shakes or I just did a crappy job, but they kind of remind me of the PQ of early players and discs, and I'm not going to do them again.

Anyway, for your edification. :rotfl:

Good heavens either this thread has gone to (((Sensurround))) or I need a pair of glasses!:D

Fred Sanford
11-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Added a bunch more of my discs, check here if you're curious:

http://lddb.com/collection.php?action=list&user=jdeavs

je

Fred Sanford
11-19-2006, 07:41 PM
I've also got a couple of backup players... a Curtis-Mathes player, that's a dead ringer for the CLD1070 (even uses a Pioneer remote, that was easier to find than the Curtis-Mathes remote)... a Marantz double-side (plays both sides) LD player that I need a remote control for (hey Fred, got any extra Marantz LD remotes? :D ), and a more-recent Pioneer CLD-S104 that I've decided to sell, since I really don't need FOUR players...

I'd really like to get the Marantz into the system, because, well, the system has a Marantz SR4600 receiver in it, and matching Marantz would be nice. :) Also, the Marantz player does coax AC3 output... which would be a cinch to hook up to the SR4600. Would be neat to be able to do Dolby Digital from the LD!

Regards,
Gordon.

Found a Marantz remote from one of my receivers (the one for my Mother-In-Law's theater in PA) that has an LD section- Gordon, are you sure the SR4600 remote doesn't already have the ability to control the Marantz LD? And, are you sure the SR4600 has an RF-type input for the LD's AC3? I'm thinking it might be too new a receiver to have either- the remote I've got is from an older Pro-Logic receiver (SR66).

je

Zilch
11-19-2006, 07:53 PM
A stunning LD concert: Bernadette Peters.

Think I may still have that here somewhere.... :yes:

toddalin
11-19-2006, 08:25 PM

Looking for a '97...

Have one of the late model at/near top of line Pioneer AC-3 units that hasn't even played a couple dozen disks in its life and been boxed up for the last ??? years. Would trade for interesting JBLs. (Looking for a pair of 2425Js.;) )

Titanium Dome
11-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Have one of the late model at/near top of line Pioneer AC-3 units that hasn't even played a couple dozen disks in its life and been boxed up for the last ??? years. Would trade for interesting JBLs. (Looking for a pair of 2425Js.;) )

Model numbers are helpful. :)

toddalin
11-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Model numbers are helpful. :)

Pioneer D701. As new condition.

GordonW
11-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Found a Marantz remote from one of my receivers (the one for my Mother-In-Law's theater in PA) that has an LD section- Gordon, are you sure the SR4600 remote doesn't already have the ability to control the Marantz LD? And, are you sure the SR4600 has an RF-type input for the LD's AC3? I'm thinking it might be too new a receiver to have either- the remote I've got is from an older Pro-Logic receiver (SR66).

je

No on the SR4600 remote... no LD codes in the code chart.

The Marantz LD player I have, has a coax RCA SPDIF output... or at least, that's how its labelled...

What model receiver was the remote from? May be able to find a few old receiver remotes. Hadn't thought of that avenue...

Regards,
Gordon.

Fred Sanford
11-25-2006, 08:41 AM
My receiver's a Marantz SR66, we're closing up the PA house for the Winter tomorrow, if you want to borrow the remote to memorize the codes, I'd be willing- but, I would need it back before Spring. Let me know.

je

Fred Sanford
11-27-2006, 05:53 AM
Retrieved the SR66 remote- it looks like the LD-specific buttons would be:

numeric keypad
disc a/b
standby
play/stop/next/previous
display...not much, but if it helps, let me know.

je

Fred Sanford
12-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Ta-da! Thanks to my co-worker Howie, I'm now looking at a Marantz RC-65CC remote control, looks like it would control a Marantz receiver and an LD player. Flips around for controls on both sides, takes a CR2032 battery. Let me know if you want to try it out, Gordon...apologies for the cell-phone pics, it's all I've got here.

je