PDA

View Full Version : L46 crossover

Pioneer727
11-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi all
Has anyone ever done a recap of the N46 crossover in the L46? You see I am having trouble finding the right value caps for the replacement. I checked Parts Express but no luck.
This is what I have to find.
2 14uf
1 7uf
per crossover

Thanks

Ron

soundboy
11-04-2006, 05:53 PM
For Solen caps: (cheapest decent upgrade)madisound.com Use a pair of 7uf for the 14uf value

For Claritycaps: (Much superior, great value for dollar) E-speakers.com Use the 6.8uf SA series. However, may have to relocate the inductors to make space to glue these huge capacitors. (It's worth it)

I have used both, and the claritycaps are killer for reasonable price. See humblehomemadehifi.com for a excellent review of both) Solens are a definite improvement over the origonals, but not nearly as clear and transparent as the claritycap.
Have fun, Pete

Pioneer727
11-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks soundboy I will check out the clarity caps. I have a pair of N46 crossovers coming I will use them to prototype the layout of the caps :D

Ron

4313B
11-07-2006, 08:19 AM
For Solen caps: (cheapest decent upgrade)madisound.com Use a pair of 7uf for the 14uf value

For Claritycaps: (Much superior, great value for dollar) E-speakers.com Use the 6.8uf SA series. However, may have to relocate the inductors to make space to glue these huge capacitors. (It's worth it)

I have used both, and the claritycaps are killer for reasonable price. See humblehomemadehifi.com for a excellent review of both) Solens are a definite improvement over the origonals, but not nearly as clear and transparent as the claritycap.
Have fun, PeteThe biggest issues with the ClarityCaps are their size and price. They take up more real estate and they add significantly to the cost of biased networks. Using them unbiased in an L46 should be quite an improvement though.

I don't think anyone here on this forum has ever recommended using unbiased Solen capacitors in any JBL system. But then I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention in the past couple years so I could be wrong.

Pioneer727
11-09-2006, 10:00 AM
My question is I just got some refurbished 117H's for my L46's now that I have the woofers out I am going to do a recap of the crossovers going to use ClarityCaps now on your advice I should use them unbiased now the question is is the N46 network Biased and if so what do I do to unbiased them.
Thanks
Here is the network.

4313B
11-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I'll explain later today when I have time.

Pioneer727
11-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks Giskard

Ron

4313B
11-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Here's the biased version of the network. I didn't bother with C5 because I didn't feel like drawing it in. One would bias it the same way C2 is shown.

As you can see, biasing requires four times the storage capacity so that adds significantly to the cost. The Solen capacitors are used because they respond well to biasing, they are resonably priced, it is easy to obtain a nice variety of values, and they are reasonably sized (As example, an $8.52 Solen 27 uF capacitor is 43L x 32D while a $20.44 ClarityCap 27 uF capacitor is 66L x 64D).

In your specific instance I would probably just stick with unbiased ClarityCaps and maybe a Solen Perfect Lay air core for L1. Don't bother changing out L3 because you need it's inherent DCR. L2 should be the ubiquitous JBL 0.3/0.4/0.5/0.6/0.75 air core on a bobbin and it should be good enough.

mech986
11-09-2006, 12:18 PM
My question is I just got some refurbished 117H's for my L46's now that I have the woofers out I am going to do a recap of the crossovers going to use ClarityCaps now on your advice I should use them unbiased now the question is is the N46 network Biased and if so what do I do to unbiased them.
Thanks
Here is the network.

According to the technical manual you linked to, the 14 uf and 7 uf caps are not biased or charge coupled (no additional series cap with a DC bias source between them). However, they are bypassed with a parallel connected 0.068 uf film cap to allow higher frequency signals to pass through more cleanly.

I've often wondered if the bypass is also effective or not on the zobel network like on the HF side of this speaker. I'll assume not since it isn't there and could have been.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bart

4313B
11-09-2006, 12:29 PM
I've often wondered if the bypass is also effective or not on the zobel network like on the HF side of this speaker. I'll assume not since it isn't there and could have been.If it's in the signal path then it's in the path of the signal. Price points are adhered to with a vengance. If leaving out a bypass capacitor on a conjugate makes a price point then so be it. Those old 0.068 uF capacitors should be replaced with better film and foil bypasses at the very minimum. JBL used those 0.068 uF bypasses during the first few years into the pactice of bypassing aka transcapping. ClarityCaps shouldn't require bypass caps. Nor should biased Solens. Regardless of what should or shouldn't be, it is the burden of the end user to determine such things based on their own personal intended application.

Pioneer727
11-09-2006, 03:39 PM
I want to thank both of you for your replies I am going unbiased with the clartycaps. I am new to networks but I am eager to learn.
thank you again you both have been vary helpful.

Ron

jbljfan
11-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Thank you for the schematic and explanation. An aha moment for a crossover newbie trying to learn about passive network upgrades. Now, zoebel, http://www.trueaudio.com/st_zobel.htm (http://www.trueaudio.com/st_zobel.htm) something I'll try to digest tomorrow.

Mike