PDA

View Full Version : wouldn't want "fake vinyl" ??

SEAWOLF97
11-03-2006, 01:11 PM
bought a little pair of Yammies yesterday, hooked up to test and got a laugh out of the label.

"Genuine Vinyl" ?? Is there "fake vinyl" ?:blink:

Rolf
11-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Is there "fake vinyl" ?:blink:

Yes, the ones not made from oil.;) :D

Ducatista47
11-04-2006, 01:36 AM
"Genuine Imitation Leather" was always my favorite. :blink:

Clark in Peoria

SEAWOLF97
11-04-2006, 09:40 AM
maybe I shud start checking for "certificate of authenticity" on my vinyl products , to make sure they arent imitation vinyl .
(what could that be ? painted cardboard ? )

Titanium Dome
11-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I don't know how many people bought Audi A4 sedans with the perforated leatherette seating. It had to be perforated in order for the occupants' bodies to breathe against that impervious vinyl layer.

I'm sure most sales consultants stressed the marketing term leatherette and never let the phrase "the seats are punched vinyl" escape their lips.

SEAWOLF97
11-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Mercedes bypasses the whole thing and calls their vinyl " MBtex" ,,,its still vinyl , look out for those hot days.

Thom
11-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Aren't there any nauga ranches left?

toddalin
11-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Aren't there any nauga ranches left?

They went extinct. That's why Kustom went out of business.;)

Steve Schell
11-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Remember the ancient infomercial for the series of books on the Old West? The grizzled host mentioned that the book bindings had "...the look and feel of fine hand tooled leather." He sure disn't say that they WERE leather.

My mom's old 1970 Mercedes 220, which I am still driving, came equipped with black MBTex vinyl upholstery. The stuff is amazing, as it still looks like new after 36 years. It has the look and feel of fine...

Zilch
11-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Wood veneer would substitute for real vinyl.

[In a pinch.... ;) ]

moldyoldy
11-09-2006, 03:46 PM
They went extinct. That's why Kustom went out of business.;)

I heard most simply starved to death, in opposition to the heavy metal(flake) diet.

Actually, I kinda liked that old T&R, ashtrays were mandantory options though.

dat521gatherer
11-10-2006, 12:01 AM
yeah i guess most computer desk's are fake vinyl try going to a office store and running your finger nail along it. the paint comes right off the partical board. i found this out when i set some scotch tape on my desk and when i lifted it off the fake vinyl paint came up with it. thats when i went to the offices stores with finger nial in hand. i will now look at computer desks in furniture stores. they'll probably be the same. not one desk ive looked at has real vinyl laminate. i'm sure the rest of the wood world will follow this trend unfortunitly. these days its all about quantity not quality. one day there will be no vinyl and everything will be painted. i wonder how they paint them so good to look like wood grain? the least they could do is put a heavy coat of clear on but that would cost too much and shine. and somehow they can still use the word vinyl just cause it looks vinyl. try telling the store employes there desks are not vinyl and the'll look at you funny, not that they even know what real laminate vinyl is. go figure.