PDA

View Full Version : I tried searching, must be no good at it

billburgette
11-02-2006, 09:16 PM
What is the difference between the professional series and the regular (?) series of speakers. Like the 2215 and the LE 15A or the 077 and the other one that looks like it with the black prism thingy?

I'm looking at some speakers at a local Hi-fi joint and just curious as to the differences. Thanks

Zilch
11-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Typically, just the color of the paint.

With respect to 2405, the aluminum prism phase plug is more rugged than the acrylic of 077.

Also, 2405H is ferrite magnet, while 077 is alnico....

billburgette
11-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks Zilch, While you're here what is the scoop on the 2205B. I found a couple for sale for $229.00 for the pair and my LE15A's need reconed. Are the 2205's about the same or should I just get mine reconed?

Thanks for the help.

Zilch
11-02-2006, 10:17 PM
They are not "about the same" in T/S parameters, no....

toddalin
11-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Back in the 60s - 70s, word on the street was that the equipment that "specs" out the best goes on to become the professional series and everything else goes to the consumer series. I never put a lot of stake in this though.

Thom
11-03-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't think the best spec goes pro, theory works. Like all processors are supposed to be fast then they grade the results, because the pots were different in appernance. At the time JBL discouraged comparison. They were different franchises and they made a big deal about being made for different purposes. (I'm speaking LE15A era) If all the specs that are available today were available then I was not aware of it. That being said ,today there are people on this site, Zilch and others, who have the information that we guesse at then and can match them when there are counterparts. Actually there are a couple of sheets I just can't direct you there.

Mr. Widget
11-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Back in the 60s - 70s, word on the street was that the equipment that "specs" out the best goes on to become the professional series and everything else goes to the consumer series. I never put a lot of stake in this though.I certainly never heard that one... I always bought Pro Series drivers because the pro sound guys were cool about discounting JBL drivers where as the consumer guys were told they had to maintain a list price policy. No one ever suggested that there was any difference other than cosmetics.

Widget

scott fitlin
11-03-2006, 02:47 PM
With JBL pro series and consumer series drivers were many times one and the same, take the 375/2440 for example. Same driver, same diaphragm, different color paint, and different foilcal and model number, but same driver!

I always thought the Signature series to be a bit more cosmetically attractive, and I never heard about consumer series being pro series drivers that werent quite up to snuff.

They did always have B stock units available, however, and you could get a break on price if you chose B stock.

:)