PDA

View Full Version : Performance Series PT800/PS1400 Stacks

maabx
11-02-2006, 06:58 PM
I have a pair of these for 2 channel music. I have stuffed the PS1400 ports with approximately 1.3 inches of open cell foam (sponge). I like the results. It seems to have tightened up the bass considerably. Can anyone tell me if there might be any drawbacks to what I have done? I have the stacks set up normally with the 130Hz crossover point to the PS1400.

Thanks, Mike

mikebake
11-02-2006, 07:27 PM
I thought those sounded pretty "tight" as they were. By what mechanism/parameter do you imagine your effort has actually effected the performance? It would seem better to start with a given concrete end in mind and a rationale for achieving it, rather than just stuffing something in the port and seeing what you think it does. If you have achieved making it behave closer to a sealed system, what else has happened?

maabx
11-02-2006, 07:57 PM
I purposely picked open cell foam. If I wanted it sealed, I would have stuffed socks into the ports. I guess I have made it aperiodic, not sealed. I was detecting some bass boom and flabbiness. My last speakers were JBL S310II's with a sealed Adire Rava sub filling in below 50Hz. The bass was very fast, tight and musical. What I am looking for is a technical explanation as to what I may have done to the FR/SPL response of the PS1400.

maabx
11-02-2006, 08:05 PM
One more thing, I believe the bass problem I perceive is most likely caused by my room. I am in no way attributing the problem to the speakers.

mikebake
11-02-2006, 08:30 PM
The PS1400 driver doesn't have anomalies needing correction; the PS1400 box could benefit from being larger. Beyond that, start working to measure where the bass problem in the room is and correct the room via placement/treatment, and/or applying EQ cut/gain and leave the PS1400 alone. Without measuring the changes, knowing what you've done technically would seem to be supposition. Fix the room physically or by tailoring EQ. BTW, it's also possible you haven't changed much of anything with the foam and the placebo effect is in force.