PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I hit the vintage jackpot?

elwesso
10-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Hey guys, im new to your forum. This is a great forum for JBL stuff, i cant believe theres such a cult like following...

Ive always been a fan of JBL stuff, but never really got into it... I bought a set of JBL G300s to run with my quasi home theatre/stereo (just have it hooked up to a 5.1 kenwood amp) off ebay for about $60 shipped and im fairly impressed with those... Got very punchy bass in a nice compact size, which is good since my current accomodations arent very big...

Anyway, my uncle used to be into stereo stuff in the 70s, and hes got a bunch of stuff that has been sitting around for at least 20 years. The point is, he'd probably never notice if it was gone!! :)

So I went to actually find out what he had... I knew he had a set of huge JBL speakers and a bunch of other old school stuff... So, i got on the internet and started reading informaiton on your forum! What a spectacular resource!

SO heres a list of what I found:

1. 2 JBL L200s. I dont know if these are modified or anything, they were kinda piled under a bunch of stuff (or rather a bunch of stuff piled on them), but I do know they are L200s and look to be in in pretty good shape. The woofer didnt have anything obvious wrong with it, but I have no way of knowing until i actually fire them up...

2. ADC Accutrac 4000
3. Crown IC-150 preamp
4. Pioneer SG-9500 EQ
5. (2) crown D150a amps (not sure why he has 2, maybe he needed one to drive each L200?)

Obviously the most notable is the pair of seemingly original and good shape L200s, but this other stuff seems to pull decent money on ebay...

Im going to see if theres anything wrong with the speakers next time I am up there, and if everything seems OK, ill probably see if i can steal the stuff from him for a lot less money than its worth....

I think im going to hang onto the speakers, i figure worst case scenario I need to replace the woofer and ill have a good set of speakers that I could use in a home theatre setup... Once I move into a bigger place...

Does anyone have any idea what the other stuff may be worth???? I assume that stuff wouldnt be real good for home theatre stuff...

Ive been reading a bunch of information on here, and im trying to absorb it, but i get lost pretty easily when you start talking about all the drivers and stuff... I'm on a car forum for Infiniti's, and im sure people get equally as lost when we start talking about the different models and such. Is there any article or anything where it gives a list of all the drivers used by JBL and what fits? I guess im just getting really confused. Ive browsed the main audioheritage page that gives all the information on the L200, but is there anything more general/universal??? I hope i haven't overlooked something really obvious...

So the inevitable question remains... would these L200s (or any of the other stuff) work well in a home theatre setup...? Also, if theres something wrong with one of the drivers in the L200's, are the classifieds here the best place to find parts, or is there a place where you can get new stuff (I assume thatd be hard/expensive since this stuff is pretty old)...

Sorry for hte long winded first post, but I really enjoy this forum, and I am a firm believer (especially with the internet) that one can put together a really nice stereo system for not a lot of money....

Thom
10-30-2006, 04:56 PM
You're going to find a lot of different oppinions about different flavors. Buried in there will be objective facts, but much has to do with taste.

Zilch
10-30-2006, 05:16 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=12227&#post12227

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=5964&#post5964

intotubes
10-30-2006, 07:28 PM
ill probably see if i can steal the stuff from him for a lot less money than its worth....

I am a firm believer (especially with the internet) that one can put together a really nice stereo system for not a lot of money....
Guess so...:blink:

elwesso
10-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks for hte links. I read those threads and got some pretty good information....

SEAWOLF97
10-30-2006, 08:30 PM
if everything seems OK, ill probably see if i can steal the stuff from him for a lot less money than its worth.....

GEEZE ,,,just whack him over the head, take it all while he's unconscious, even cheaper !!

elwesso
10-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Again, thats sort of the plan... Does anyone have any idea what this stuff might be worth (besides the speakers)

speakerdave
10-30-2006, 08:47 PM
. . . . Im going to see if theres anything wrong with the speakers next time I am up there, and if everything seems OK, ill probably see if i can steal the stuff from him for a lot less money than its worth....

Since we don't know you we can't tell if you're kidding. So just in case you're serious and are assuming that what you suggest is OK by us, this is to tell you that it is not, and you are coming off like a first class dink.

David

elwesso
10-30-2006, 08:49 PM
LOL indeed.... Sorry for not clarifying....

E-humor is only marginally effective.

EDIT: I suppose by the nature of the replies here I'll continue to read until I am learned enough, because I guess im not there yet...

Thanks!

BMWCCA
10-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Does anyone have any idea what this stuff might be worth (besides the speakers)The IC-150 is an oddball. They can bring pretty good money (approaching $200 and sometimes hitting over $500, why I don't know) if they're perfect and the one person that wants them is still awake when you're selling. The D150-As are worth something around $120 each unless they are the later units with the output comparitors and then they'll bring a bit more but shouldn't bring as much as the 150A-IIs which are readily available for $125 to $200 depending on who's buying. And yet I've seen very nice 150As for for over $400; again, I don't understand why. As for the other stuff, don't know and don't have any idea. The big money for these old horses seems to be in selling them as a pristine Vintage system of IC-150 and D150 together. People seem to go nuts for them though the old units are not without problems. I never was a fan of the IC-150 but then what the heck do I know? Some nuts will pay $800 for a good matched pair. Others on this site sell them among friends for what they're really worth. For my taste, the newer the Crown the better.

If you don't want to keep them, what you ought to do is make a deal with the old geezer to split whatever you get on eBay for them, and don't cheat him!

Wornears
10-31-2006, 09:11 AM
I sold a Crown IC-150A a couple of months ago for $225 to a guy who had been looking for one to mate with his DC-300 for ages. And mine wasn't mint cosmetically, but sonically excellent.

It is a very "dry" sounding pre-amp and very early SS -- some might even say harsh sounding. Lots of inputs though.

The attraction to them seems to be their minimalist looks and robust build quality.

clmrt
11-01-2006, 05:28 AM
Time for me to start keeping an eye on all my cousins and nephews. You kinda sound like a vulture.

Does your uncle know about this? Would you use this stuff or just flip it - will you tell him the truth?

Maybe someday we'll see a thread here from a member, saying how his damn nephew stole his '200's and sold them for a rock.

Or not.

?

Gary L
11-01-2006, 06:51 AM
Again, thats sort of the plan... Does anyone have any idea what this stuff might be worth (besides the speakers)

Here in NY you get 3-5 for theft!
Why not do the right thing and pay what they are worth and be happy with the speakers and yourself!

Gary