PDA

View Full Version : advise on receiver case restore ??

SEAWOLF97
10-30-2006, 12:46 PM
I really like the receiver. The case is nice Philippine mahogany plywood. The plastic wood veneer SUCKS. It comes off easily, but beneath it is a plastic beige colored layer that seems to be bonded with the wood. Any ideas how I can remove the beige layer without tearing up the surface of the wood ? I tried alcohol and fingernail polish remover and even gas. No effect. Ideas ???

alexkerhead
10-30-2006, 12:55 PM
It is quite hard todo, I have had several smaller pioneers with that problem.
I found using a good sharp knife is a good way to go, and be gentle while prying upwards one centimeter at a time. Once you got enough pulled up to grab ahold, try pulling with your hand slowly.
And if you mess up on accident, veneer will cover the damage after a little hole filler is put in any holes you may make, but I think it should be ok.
The edges seem the hardest todo, so take your time and it should be good.
The plywood is easily stainable, luckily the glue doesn't penetrate the plywood enough to prevent staining.
Here is my old sx-680 after I peeled the plastic sheet off.

Good luck.

Audiobeer
10-31-2006, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't fool with the substrate. Leave it alone. If you remove that, the adhesive will turn your MDF into an uneven crumbly and unreliable surface for the new veneer. Pulling away will actualy pull some of the MDF with it. The plastic surface is there and as long as it's adhering to the wood it's the ideal surface for new veneer.

SEAWOLF97
11-01-2006, 08:09 AM
The plastic surface is there and as long as it's adhering to the wood it's the ideal surface for new veneer.

understood. I'll strip off the faux wood print vinyl crap and use the substrate for basis of new veneer. thanx Audiobeer.