PDA

View Full Version : Australian Pink Floyd Show

Titanium Dome
10-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Scored some tickets from a long time business friend via PBS to go LA's Greek Theater last night to see the Australian Pink Floyd Show.

http://www.greektheatrela.com/

http://www.aussiefloyd.com/

The traffic was the usual bitch, well worse than usual actually, and getting in was a hassle, since the employees all seemed to have dropped out of grade school to attend IADU (I'm A Dick University) or its sister institution IABU. :bash: :die:

As a result, we missed the first two songs of the Dark Side of the Moon Set and had to enter the outdoor ampitheater in the effing dark. We miraculously found our seats and settled in for the rest of the show. Despite a horde of "NO SMOKING" signs and being in LA, there were tons of assholes smoking, and none of the IADU/IABU grads were doing anything about it.

Finally the fags gave way to joints and the sweet smell of pot replaced the acrid smoke of tobacco, and things improved immensely. It was by every measure a spectacular show. The musicians were first-rate and the lights and props were first rate. The guitar work was breathtaking, and the bassist was very, very talented. Drums, keyboard, and back up singers were quite good, too. (David Gilmour had these blokes play for this 50th birthday, BTW. http://www.jambase.com/search.asp?bandID=26041&display=bio )

By the end, I was singing, howling, and gesticulating like the rest of the madmen and madwomen, most in their 40s and 50s and acting like 20. This was one top drawer show.

As they, say, if you get the chance...

These guys will be touring the US over the next couple of months. Catch 'em if you can. :bouncy:

Titanium Dome
10-29-2006, 02:34 PM
This deserves a separate post because it brings forward a point I'd like to make. I know there are many fans of the old JBL Professional gear and proponents of the older monitors who like to point out that the old stuff just can't be matched.

In a certain sense that's true, in that it's a pretty unique sound, and JBL is not really interested in or trying to recreate it today. For all those who love it, cherish it, and pursue it, I say good on you. I'm glad you like it, and I'm pleased that it brings so much satisfaction and pleasure. In many important ways, the old JBL is the sound of the live venue, and I'd never argue with that.

Last night was one of the best, if not THE best sounding live musical experience I've ever had. It was loud, powerful, chest punching, and dynamic. There was not a hint of break up, beaming, distortion, or fatigue. Every vocal was clear, every solo was clean, every note was distinct--it was simply amazing.

Even my GF, who often complains at home about "too loud" or "too noisy," had nothing but praise for the sound system. Her comment: "Its very loud, but also very clear, and it doesn't hurt." She spoke this to me during the show. Amazing.

From my seat in the 33rd row, I squinted at the speaker arrays. Darn if they didn't look like JBL VertecŪ Arrays. Looked like about 40–50 altogether. I told her, "JBL VertecŪs I think." She looked at me like the idiot I was for bringing it up. :rotfl:

Kudos to the sound guys and to JBL for delivering the best outdoor show I've ever heard in 38 years of attending live outdoor concerts. I later checked out the Web and got this tidbit:

http://www.greektheatrela.com/about_us/press_releases.asp?Act=view&ID=47

So it was VertecŪ Arrays after all. :yes:

Hoerninger
10-29-2006, 02:52 PM
JBL - Live

When the Rolling Stone toured in Europe 1998 (Bridges To Babylon) I saw them in Hannover. Top left and right of the stage there was a cluster of 48 speakers each. (At the bottom there were some horns I suppose.)
It must have been JBL, because I did not know who else could have delivered such a arrangement in this specific appearance.

The sound was great, the only snag was when the wind blew off some higher tones in a slight way. I was just in free air and not in a living room. ;)

toddalin
10-29-2006, 06:55 PM
I saw the Australian Pink Floyd concert on PBS and it was MOST EXCELLENT!:bouncy:

If and when it comes on again, it is not to be missed.:applaud:

Titanium Dome
10-29-2006, 11:42 PM
I saw the Australian Pink Floyd concert on PBS and it was MOST EXCELLENT!:bouncy:

If and when it comes on again, it is not to be missed.:applaud:

The live show will be in Anaheim on Oct. 31 at The Grove.

Robh3606
10-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Darn if they didn't look like JBL VertecŪ Arrays.

Hello T Dome

The last couple of shows I have seen have used the Vertecs and they were both excellent. One was outdoors at Jones Beach the other indoors in a mid sized club. The mid sized club used the midsized version and the outdoor show used the TOTL. Same impresion it was loud but you could still talk, the clarity was amazing and the bass was truely impessive especially with the outdoor show where the stage had at least 6 of the bass bins. Nice to actually hear the sound at shows actually getting better and the dB's going down.

Rob:)

hjames
10-30-2006, 11:19 AM
The live show will be in Anaheim on Oct. 31 at The Grove.
That sounds like it was a great show!

I checked their schedule but they are not coming to the DC area - we don't get ANY of the good stuff ...no Australian Pink Floyd stuff for us!

Storm
10-30-2006, 11:21 AM
They are coming to Phoenix November 1st and I am thinking about going.

Tickets still available and a bunch on eBay. Not sure if I want to spend the cash to go. Wish the real Floyd was coming, :).

Do you guys think I should spend the money and go?

Zilch
10-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Do you know any geezers? AARP might have access to some reasonably-priced tickets, like Todd got for Elton John.... ;)

toddalin
10-30-2006, 11:35 AM
OK, you talked me into it. Got a pair of front row seats with tickets to be delivered here by noon tommorow. Not bad either... $155/pair with handling and overnight by noon delivery.

Guess you don't need to be a geezer to see these guys. :p

Kids (and the house) will have to fend for themselves and I'm gonna have lots of candy lying around!:blink: :barf:

Storm
10-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Do you know any geezers? AARP might have some reasonably-priced tickets, like Todd got for Elton John.... ;)
Wow Zilch, you are way too funny for this forum - you should be a comedian!

Why do you care to reply to every comment I make? Do you have anything better to do?

I actually do know old geezers, but this show does not have any discounts.

Hey Zilch! - Relax...take a chill pill...turn up the music...and SHUT UP!

Peace.

hjames
10-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Do you know any geezers? AARP might have some reasonably-priced tickets, like Todd got for Elton John.... ;)

Ah - I keep turning down AARP when they send me their junkmail signup forms - I am not happy with their buy-in promoting Bush's Medicare drug bill and don't want to fund them until I have to!

No lobbyists from Porter Novelli seeking ME out with gift$- sigh ..

toddalin
10-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Do you know any geezers? AARP might have access to some reasonably-priced tickets, like Todd got for Elton John.... ;)

The whole Elton John show was just for AARP held at the AARP convention and all of the seats were that price. This wasn't just an AARP discount at a regular concert.

Elton is a member of AARP, as is Robin Williams and sometimes they, and others, do these kinds of shows.

I don't necessarily buy into AARP politics, but in the long run, the savings of joining AARP far outweigh the crud.

Titanium Dome
10-30-2006, 01:41 PM
They are coming to Phoenix November 1st and I am thinking about going.

Tickets still available and a bunch on eBay. Not sure if I want to spend the cash to go. Wish the real Floyd was coming, :).

Do you guys think I should spend the money and go?

I don't think you'll see the real Pink Floyd anytime soon, if ever. Most of those bridges seem permanently burned. I think the APFS is about as good as it'll get.

toddalin
10-30-2006, 02:27 PM
I don't think you'll see the real Pink Floyd anytime soon, if ever. Most of those bridges seem permanently burned. I think the APFS is about as good as it'll get.

Saw the "REAL" group back when they did the "Wish You Were Here" tour (1975). :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Robh3606
10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Saw the "REAL" group back when they did the "Wish You Were Here" tour (1975).

Me too, saw them for DSOTM and The Wall as well. Better sign me up for those AARP tickets. Just saw Roger Waters but missed Gilmore:(

Rob:)

Storm
10-31-2006, 02:03 PM
I finally bought a pair of Australian Pink Floyd tickets. My dad and I are going this Wedsneday night at the Dodge Theater in Downtown Phoenix.

Got them off eBay - only $65.00 for the pair. Not bad since they are second row behind pit!

I will post reviews after the show.

I can't wait - I love Pink Floyd and spending time with my dad is always a plus.

Thanks Titanium - I would have not even known about the show if you never posted this thread.

:bouncy:

Titanium Dome
10-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Look forward to your review.

Have a great time! :applaud:

toddalin
10-31-2006, 05:24 PM
OK, just finished listening to DSOM in SACD and am heading OTD with wife to see the APFS. :bouncy:

Storm
10-31-2006, 11:38 PM
How was the show? Please post your review.

I am going tonight and can't wait!

Thanks!

:p

toddalin
11-01-2006, 10:01 AM
How was the show? Please post your review.

I am going tonight and can't wait!

Thanks!

:p

Show was MOST EXCELLENT!:applaud:

We had never been to the Grove, a most excellent concert venue. The sign said max occupancy 814, but there actually looked to be twice that many seats.

Having never been there, we arrived about 3 hours early (and were the first ones in the parking lot getting the best space).

We were in the 1st row, on the floor, 8 feet from the stage (~4' high) 5th and 6th seats from the center. From our perspective, everything was visible. I've never had seats this good! Security was lax and you could walk up to the stage, or go to the control area and see whatever you pleased.

Technically, the musicians were excellent. They probabaly sound more like Pink Floyd than the actual members would now sound! The sound system was an SLS and from our point, the bass was overpowering and somewhat bloated. The kick drum would slam you in the chest and you could feel the concussion with every pedal stroke. (Was actually giving Linda a side ache.) The bass guitar and keyboard bass were also bloated and often subtantial distortion was obvious. From our vantage, they needed to cut the bass by about 6 dBA. From our seats, concert was WELL OVER 100 dBA; much louder than I listen to at home. (Loud enough to even cover my tinitus.) I think that some of this had to do with our seats being right between the PA stacks (like laying on the floor right in front of an L200 where you mainly hear woofer and are out of the line of fire for the highs), and sound may have been far better (and more intelligable) back 10-20 rows.

They open with DSOM played in its entirety (~45 minutes), took a 20 minute break and came back and played for another 1-1/2 hours opening with "Shine on You Crazy Diamond." I thought they would then do that album, but they then mixed it up doing many cuts from the Wall, Wish You Were Here, and Animals.

Songs went from as old as "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" (Umagumma, 1968) , all the way up to cuts from "The Delicate Sound of Thunder"

They use the original lighting (with lasers and giant mirror ball) and even have the original inflatable wart hog in the lobby. The light show is also most excellent. At our venue, they did not raise the light ring to the horizontal position, maybe becuasse of the stage set-up.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!:applaud: :D :applaud: :D :applaud: :D

Storm
11-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Wow, I am getting anxious...

Almost 7 hours left until we see them.

I hope our second row seats dont sound bad - but then again Dodge Theatre is an inside venue and if I remember, their speakers are located on either side of the stage and up high.

I wil post a review tonight.

Thanks for the reviews already - I am getting very anxious and can't wait!

Peace.

Storm
11-01-2006, 11:15 PM
I will let the photos tell the story.

I know - no cameras, but I snuck mine...dont tell on me, please. :)

Smelt some weed in the crowd, ya man!

:)

Storm
11-01-2006, 11:20 PM
I could not help myself...

Storm
11-01-2006, 11:25 PM
I hope you enjoyed the pictures as much as I enjoyed the concert.

By the way, the speakers were not JBL - they were Eigth Day Sound, whatever the "F" that is...

If you have a chance to see these guys - I HIGHLY recommend going, you will NOT REGRET IT!

These guys are TOP notch performers and the show exceeded my expectations.

:applaud:

Thanks TI for letting me know about them!

Titanium Dome
11-01-2006, 11:52 PM
You have some really nice pictures there.

Wasn't that bouncing kangaroo the tits? We rocked out when it started bouncing to the beat.

When they hoisted that disco ball, people just freaked out.

Next

Salt Lake City
Denver
Omaha
Kansas City

Who's next?

toddalin
11-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Trailers, movies, and even complete songs are at the link. Follow the link and go to downloads.

11-08-2006, 09:34 PM
That sounds like it was a great show!

I checked their schedule but they are not coming to the DC area - we don't get ANY of the good stuff ...no Australian Pink Floyd stuff for us!

I just checked the schedule and found out I missed them here in San Jose on my birthday...:banghead:

Dragged my arthritic mom to see Floyd at the Oakland Arena Last time they came through. I was worth pushing her around in a wheelchair on the train, 'specially after she struggled out of her seat to visit the restroom, only to have the opening chords of Young Lust start just as she got upright, then sat right back down, saying "I can't miss this song!":applaud: (I'm not sure she's listened to closely to the lyrics...):blink: