PDA

View Full Version : 828 + 511 configurations

dancing-dave
12-09-2003, 10:42 AM
I've got some 511 horns on the way and am ready to begin building up a pair of 828 cabinets for a stereo VOTT set up. I've noticed that the horns can either be fitted on top of the 828 with the bass port on ground level, or.... with the horns inside of the port space and the cabinets either elevated with the horns lower, or on the floor with the woofer at ground level.

What are the characteristic differences between these configurations?

Thank you for any input on this.

(Also, does anyone know how to do a grand piano laquer finish?)

Earl K
12-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Hi dancing-dave

(Also, does anyone know how to do a grand piano laquer finish?)

Good question, I'd like to know if us house-paintig peasants without a paint booth can expect to get decent results ( or just brain rot from the fumes ).

Re; the horn in or out question ;

Do a search for posts by WardsWeb. He has published some pictures here of his Outstanding pair of "Magnificents" ( horn inside ) that are located in his front room . Some good visual inspiration if you want to go this way .

<. Earl K

Mr. Widget
12-09-2003, 11:18 AM
To do a rubbed out piano finish you will have to not mind sanding. For something as large as your project we are talking a few hundred hours of sanding. If I were doing it, and I was after perfection, I would seal the wood with a catalyzed sealer, then use automotive primer and lacquer wet sanding every coat for 15 coats. The final coats sanding to 2000 grit and following with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze polish and Show Car finish. The result will be a deep shine that will stun you. I have done this on smaller projects. This sink is made of wood and plastic.

If you are willing to have a high gloss finish with a little bit of orange peel you can get it with a catalyzed resin system. They use catalyzed polyester finishes to get pretty good looking finishes on high end custom kitchen cabinets. ($100K+ kitchens)

The easiest method is to use a high gloss black plastic laminate and skin your speakers.

Good Luck,

Widget

Phil Jeffery
12-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Hi Dave,

I have only ever tried one of the variants. I have read, from a number of different 'net sources, that it is desirable to have the drivers as close toghether as possible, which makes sense to me.

So, if you picture your avatar turned upside down, with the horn sitting atop outside the enclosure, that is how mine is set up. Makes it a doddle to time align them too.

I'll try again to add a picture, but if it doesn't work, click on this link;

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~castle99/mypic44.JPG

This was taken about 6 months ago, I just wanted to hear them even if it wasn't finished!

Regards,
Phil