PDA

View Full Version : New Quadrex Grilles on my L-100s

pbda
10-28-2006, 05:52 PM
It's taken a while, but I finally got the time to install sonofagun's new foam grilles on my L-100s; here are a couple of shots.

Gorgeous work; I could not be more pleased.

billyboyJBL
10-29-2006, 06:47 AM
pbda,how do they sound through that good looking cr-1000?:applaud:

ReEdger
10-29-2006, 08:53 AM
When you put your JBL logo back on, did you cut away one of the foam squares or did you just smoosh one of them down?

I haven't put my badges back on. Wondering what to do....

pbda
10-29-2006, 11:07 AM
pbda,how do they sound through that good looking cr-1000?:applaud:

They sound very, very nice indeed. I just had the CR-1000 tuned up, and it matches well with the L-100s.

pbda
10-29-2006, 11:09 AM
When you put your JBL logo back on, did you cut away one of the foam squares or did you just smoosh one of them down?

I haven't put my badges back on. Wondering what to do....

I used a razor blade and cut away about 1/2 of the depth of the foam square. It's an irrevocable decision, but it is, I think, the way that JBL sold these in the day. I didn't like the look of the logo sticking out in front of the grilles.

peteracing
10-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Good decision to install those sonofagun quadrexes:applaud:.
They will pay themselves when (if) you sell those Centuries:D.
Cant waite till i get my pair of foams:bouncy:.

SUPERBEE
10-29-2006, 02:10 PM
WOW!!!

Those look great. Now how do I order mine?

jaynemo
11-29-2006, 03:35 AM
Did you replace the mesh screens underneath? I'll be getting my grills soon, for my early verticle arrays. The original glue was running heavy that day, and I'm contemplating trying to "smooth it down" by gently heating it with a hairdryer and putty knife. If all else fails, I guess I could replace it, but would like to keep the original mesh. Also, did you use contact cement to hold the new grills in place?

pbda
11-29-2006, 06:17 AM
Did you replace the mesh screens underneath? I'll be getting my grills soon, for my early verticle arrays. The original glue was running heavy that day, and I'm contemplating trying to "smooth it down" by gently heating it with a hairdryer and putty knife. If all else fails, I guess I could replace it, but would like to keep the original mesh. Also, did you use contact cement to hold the new grills in place?

I wanted to avoid having to replace the mesh screens, so I very (VERY!) carefully separated the existing foam from the mesh using a paint scraper. I was lucky in that the previous owner had already replaced the original foam once before, and had used glue relatively sparingly. I managed to rip the mesh in a couple of places, but barely noticeably. After 25 or 30 years the mesh under the foam has become quite delicate, so take your time on this.

Contact cement was used, again, very sparingly, to affix the new foam. You'll need to put some glue on the part of the mesh that is directly in front of the woofer, to avoid "foam sag", but just a dab will do. So far, it seems to be holding well!

Good luck; I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the result!

jaynemo
11-30-2006, 10:07 AM
The original blue foams on mine were of course long gone (but still minor traces of blue though), but I guess I'll have to wait and see how the new replacements lay down over the glue "bumps". Like I said I'm hoping to smooth the glue out with a hairdryer, I'll post my experimental results...

Yeah, a nice quarter size pile of glue directly in front of the woofer dust cap.....

dllyons
11-30-2006, 06:33 PM
They look great !! Welcome to the club pdba !!!!!!!! Got two pairs myself (orange and brown) and am really proud of them.

Doesn't that sonofagun do good work ?!?!?!??! :blah: He's expensive, but worth it when you see the goods !!

You should have twisted sonafagun's arm just a bit and made him cut the foam for your badges ... he's manipulative .... somewhat.... :D

pbda
11-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Sonofagun is awesome indeed! :applaud:

peteracing
12-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Got my blue ones and... Awesome job "Sonofagrill":D

dllyons
12-02-2006, 08:17 AM
How about posting some pix of those blue ones ? or email some to me ?

I might want a pair of them too, if sonofagun has a sale :D

pbda
12-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Now if there were a sale, I might just have to pick up a pair of orange foams as well! :D

ReEdger
12-04-2006, 09:03 PM
I just received a pair of brown and a pair in orange to go along with the blue pair that I already have. Now all of my L100's look GREAT! Hey, they look like L100's again!
Sonofagun does awesome work. :applaud: Simply AWESOME!

jims50th
06-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Hello L100ers,
New to forum with a pair of L100s from eBay. Of course, no more sculptured air foam fronts. Where can I grab a pair of oranges? Also, how best do I solve my binding post problem. Mine are bare silver posts with no red or black pieces on them. Dented cone on tweeter too! Can that be pulled out? Replace it? Or tolerate it?