PDA

View Full Version : "OH NO...not more speakers"...the better half

SEAWOLF97
10-28-2006, 03:24 PM
BEWARE !!! when you've got a truck and time on your hands and a deal-o-rama store,,,this is what happens.....now where to store them ??

Marantz HD-77's. The little brother to my HD-770's ...same speaker load I think. 12in LF , 4 way with super tweeter.

and

AR 48b's ...10in 3 way

everything looks restoreable.

Oh yeah , $20 for all.

Zilch
10-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Restore, resell, buy elegant dinner out with the proceeds.

[Well, SOME of the proceeds.... ;) ]

SEAWOLF97
10-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Restore, resell, buy elegant dinner out with the proceeds.
[Well, SOME of the proceeds.... ;) ]

you are correct , Zilch. gotta keep the OL happy or no more speakers.:blink:

BTW..the HD77's even have the original Vari-Q plugs installed , but so rotted that only the hardware is reusable. Any idea if special foam needed ? or any thats dense enough to block the tube ?

SEAWOLF97
10-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Think I will part out the AR48b's and restore the Marantz HD77's . I recall that these are some that GordonW favors ?

GordonW
10-30-2006, 02:18 PM
That's interesting... it's like an HD770, just with a different woofer, in yet ANOTHER different cabinet design.

Wonder if its the original woofer? Could be, since the Marantz trim-plate seems to fit well around it... :dont-know

Regards,
Gordon.

SEAWOLF97
10-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Wonder if its the original woofer? Could be, since the Marantz trim-plate seems to fit well around it... :dont-know

Regards,
Gordon.

gordon...yes, it had never been removed. original.

just got back from buying foam at the reconers. They looked at it and said "Oh yeah , its a ROLA" and I asked how they knew and the guy says " because its a 285" and showed me the numbers printed on the back. And I said "so ??" and he got out the manufactures code book and there it was . ROLA=285.

told him that is an interesting code sheet, and he burned me a copy. Will post it to help others.:)

SEAWOLF97
10-31-2006, 09:10 AM
ROLA meant nothing to me, so did a little research.

They were the OEM supplier to FENDER and to CELESTRON and bought the company.

Anyway this is about a 10lb LF driver and looks pretty well made, xcept for being stamped steel basket. Codes show not ferrite mag. My other Marantz hd770 LF is steel basket too , and sounds great, just not pretty as JBL to look at.:blink:

SEAWOLF97
11-21-2006, 06:24 PM
I pulled the 12in LFs from the Marantz HD77's about 3 weeks ago. One at a time they've been sitting in a 12x12 open face box in the dining room, and when I'm in the area I do a little scraping/cleaning. On the last one I decided to soften the gunk with some fingernail polish remover...works good. Then cleaned down the basket edge with the Dremel and wire brush attachment. Really clean now, anyway
Finally finished up the ROLA refoams yesterday and reinstalled.
I had never heard the big Marantz's in op condition before...WOW !!! what a treat !! Gotta work in the cabinet finish now , but GEEZE , if you ever get a chance to pickup HD77s or HD 770's for a reasonable price, GO FOR IT !!!!!