PDA

View Full Version : ran out of inputs...on the big Sansui

SEAWOLF97
10-27-2006, 11:21 AM
thats the main problem with older receivers, not enough inputs...and they don't like huge speaker wire. BUT it does have o/p for 3 sets of speakers, nice to have a 3rd set for testing.:)

ANYWAY..I need 1 more input for the iPod. Receiver has 2 phono i/p. what does it take to use those for other than phono ?

and

It has a MIC i/p. I adapted the mini plug to standard 1/4 and tried with the pod. Seemed to sound just fine. Is there any danger to doing it this way ?? :confused:

louped garouv
10-27-2006, 11:46 AM
you would have to bypass the phono stage... at that point it should eb line level....

how to do it in your particular case, ?????? i dunno...

I am usnure what running line level signal through a mic preamp will do...

some info...

"Level refers to the relative strength of the signal and is measured in decibels. LINE level sources are much-amplified signals over MIC (microphone) level signals. Line level is usually between -10 to +4 dbm in strength while MIC levels are normally -60 dbm. "

I think I would be worried about clipping your signal when running line level through the mic preamp....

doyall
10-27-2006, 12:17 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/images/240-127m.jpg (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-127&CFID=5741577&CFTOKEN=37572433#)

... or two.

Hoerninger
10-27-2006, 12:21 PM
This circuit converts LINE to PHONO, you can leave your amp untouched. 3n is 2n2 and 820p in parallel.

you would have to bypass the phono stage... at that point it should eb line level.... I would prefer bypassing.

boputnam
10-27-2006, 12:32 PM
You could get the equivalent of a patch bay, and connect your AUX input to (the rear) of the PB, using RCA to TRS converters. Then you'd have unlimited input connection options, all at the right impedance. PB's are wonderous...

Here's the beauty Neutrik brand I'm quite fond of...

SEAWOLF97
10-27-2006, 12:35 PM
I am usnure what running line level signal through a mic preamp will do...

some info...

"Level refers to the relative strength of the signal and is measured in decibels. LINE level sources are much-amplified signals over MIC (microphone) level signals. Line level is usually between -10 to +4 dbm in strength while MIC levels are normally -60 dbm. "

I think I would be worried about clipping your signal when running line level through the mic preamp....

the Ipod is working on volume control and the MIC i/p has input volume control. when both adjusted , it sounds fine.

soooo, is sounding fine GOOD ENUFF, or is there something else to worry about ??

clmrt
10-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Why worry?!

Nab one of these and run it into your AUX - -

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-932

louped garouv
10-27-2006, 01:00 PM
I would probably use the patchbay, but the AUX selector device is second best IMO.... (my pref. is the patchbay b/c i have a lot of rack mount gear already....)

but then again, if it sounds fine to you, why bother?

I doubt it will blow your Sansui up or anything.... i don't think so at least....

SEAWOLF97
10-27-2006, 02:21 PM
You could get the equivalent of a patch bay, ...

as my son says.

During my "senior moment" , I forgot that I had a radioshack 3 into 1 patch box. Worked perfectly, no messing around with phono or mic. DUH.:blink:

dat521gatherer
11-10-2006, 12:18 AM
yeah that patch bay looks cool. i currently have a patch box 4 into 1 with video to run my original nes, nintendo 64,super nintendo ect. gotta love that atari 64