PDA

View Full Version : 4313B Questions.

Gozzy
10-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Hello, I own a pair of JBL 4313B Control Monitor speakers, in not bad condition I would say 7/10 maybe even 8/10. The woofers need re-coning; as I live in the UK it’s hard for me to find somewhere who would re-cone them with the original assembly. So the first question has to be... where can I buy a pair of the LE-10 original woofers from? In perfect condition?

Many other questions spring into mind, like which way round the green wires go that connect to the woofer... green/black & solid green.

Also I wouldn’t mind replacing the 066 tweeters, with some new looking ones, im wondering if the 044 tweeters would sound better, and as I understand it may have a higher power rating, would be nice to have some details about these two tweeters.

The mid-range LE5-9's seem to be working ok, and are in mint condition.

Onto my next question, I would like to remove all the drivers and the crossover unit, and the fiber glass foam so that I can get a carpenter to make the cabinets look like brand new, replenish the wood grain and re spray the front again to its nice blue colour. Would this be a hard task to complete? As the tweeters have to be taken out from behind the front baffle.

Onto my last question for now!! If I am unlucky in getting hold of an original pair of Woofers, I have come across a website called www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk that is based in the UK. One of the bass drive units they sell are the Volt series woofers, now these woofers seem to fit into the enclosures ok, and have an identical front basket design to the original woofers, except that it is painted black.. the woofers in mind are the Volt B2500.1 paper cone bass driver, some brief specs are: 250W RMS, 90dB/watt/m, 25-1000Hz, 8 ohms, BI Factor 20.3 N/A, Voice Coil Dia 75mm (copper), Max Excursion 25mm (before damage), Magnet Assembly Weight 8.1Kg, Effective Moving Mass 0.11 Kg and finally Painted die cast aluminium Chassis. Now these woofers are not cheap, at £270.00 each they are very good Studio monitor speakers.
So these are my options, if finding the original woofers is impossible.

There are concerns about the crossover, taking the extra power with my amp, also the thickness of the wires leading to the woofer at higher power levels.

Ok that’s it; hope I haven’t fried all your heads with my long sentences! I am dyslexic so wording isn’t one of my strong points, these speakers really mean something to me, been in the family for years. So I want them perfect!

Thank You for reading

Michael Gosling

Earl K
10-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi Michael,

The woofers need re-coning; as I live in the UK it’s hard for me to find somewhere who would re-cone them with the original assembly. So the first question has to be... where can I buy a pair of the LE-10 original woofers from? In perfect condition?

- Why do you think those le10H woofs, need reconing ?

- If the coils are in good shape and not rubbing / simply refoaming the disintegrating surrounds works in many cases . Do a search for Rick Cobb on this site. His email is posted around here / he sells DIY refoam kits used by many here . There is also a thread posted at this site that details how to do a successful refoam .

Also I wouldn’t mind replacing the 066 tweeters, with some new looking ones, im wondering if the 044 tweeters would sound better, and as I understand it may have a higher power rating, would be nice to have some details about these two tweeters.

Why bother if your present tweeters are working ?
- Do a search for Giskard as author and 066 or 044 as the key words. This will give you some reading & "insites" on the subject.
- Neither of these tweeters are presently servicable/ if I remember correctly.

Onto my next question, I would like to remove all the drivers and the crossover unit, and the fiber glass foam so that I can get a carpenter to make the cabinets look like brand new, replenish the wood grain and re spray the front again to its nice blue colour. Would this be a hard task to complete? As the tweeters have to be taken out from behind the front baffle.

No, this isn't a hard task for the DIYer . To remove the foilcals ( labels ) / use a hairdryer to heatup the glue holding them in place. Careful lifting with a putty knife will save these "irreplaceable" labels .

Volt B2500 ??
- Why spend @ $ 900 to 1000.00 US for a facsimile ? You'll have to change the network to accomodate any new type of components that you introduce into the 4313b system.
- Do you know anything about network design ? If not, don't go swapping in different components .
- New JBL Le10H woofers are $250.00 USD when available from Harmon ( US ). Harmon backorders them for a while and then runs off a batch when the backorder numbers get large enough .

:)

Gozzy
10-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi, Earl K.

I don’t know much about the JBL crossover, apart from the fact that they separate the frequencies for the three drivers. I would love to be able to get hold of new Le10H woofers in black for these speakers, I don’t want to have to change there characteristics. The original woofers in the baskets were both damaged beyond repair.

Regarding the 066 tweeter I am not sure if they are sounding as they should do, is there a way of testing these tweeters? Also the idea of replacing them was to put better condition units in there.

If you happen to have contact details and/or a website where I could find these Le10H woofers then that would be very helpful indeed.

Thank You

Mike

Earl K
10-26-2006, 10:20 AM
- For both qualified reconing services and system testing services ( of your tweeters ) / you need to find a Professional ( who represents Harmon/JBL in both regards ) .

- Post a query here ( to that effect ) and maybe someone from the U.K. will respond with a recommendation .

:)

boputnam
10-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Earl has some pertinent questions. The 4313B is a remarkable design - one of the favorites of many here (who find that 10" to be amongst the best JBL LF transducers, ever).

Some additional thoughts / observations:

- the LE10H also has an aquaplas front version - as far as I know the T-S parameters are identical, so it's more a question of the cosmetic appeal. :coolness: These pass thru eBay periodically - try and be patient.
- on the wiring, GRN goes to the Red LE10H terminal.
- when refurbishing, we generally here stick with the original bits, meaning why change-out the tweeter different from what JBL designed? It's a good one.
- Audiobeer here, is a pro at cabinet refinishing/repair. There are others to, but he comes to mind, first. Be careful - the vineer is thin. SEARCH for refinishing tips - there are heaps out here.
- wrt the JBL Blue, that is a horse of a different color!! :rotfl: It is a damned bitch to replicate...
- I've got two pairs myself, and one in a mix-down studio in the Vanouver islands area. Each are as-issued by the factory, refurbished as necessary and have remarkable response. I'd replace nothing...

Gozzy
10-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Thank You Earl K and boputnam for your help and support.
I am not very good at woodwork/finishing’s etc. I really don’t trust myself with restoring these speakers myself; it would kill me if I ruined such a nice set of monitors.
Regarding the woofers, I require the factory original LE-10H the grey/black in colour cones, so if anyone reading this has any perfect working cones for sale, or if somebody knows where I can purchase new original cones from that will help.

I have no idea where in the UK to look for an appropriate dealer for these components, so im asking in America. I will of course pay the postage costs to insure that the parts come in A1 condition.

So again if there is anybody out there in the UK/America that can assist me (a novice in vintage JBL) then I’m all ears.

macaroonie
10-27-2006, 01:50 PM
If you get stuck I will do your refoams for you but you will have to get them from rick cobb [email protected] It might be an idea to post some pictures of your speakers on this site, you will get no end of help.
4313's are way good for their size don't mess with them just try to get them back to A1:D

Gozzy
10-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Hi, macaroonie. Thanks for responding to my posts. My woofer baskets are empty as the original woofers were both damaged beyond repair. As I live in the UK it would be awkward having to post my baskets over to America, to get reconed. Unless there is an agent in the UK that can do it instead?

So I have decided that I want to purchase some complete woofers instead.

I am also looking for someone in the UK who could clean up the enclosures to make them look as new a possible, they will need re-spraying and some attention to some scratches here and there and the wood finish polished up.

Other than that the front grille is acceptable, and the 066 tweeters and LE5-9 midrange both seem to be operating correctly and are in good condition.

Cheers

Mike
P.S. sometime over the weekend I will borrow my friends camera and take some photos, so you can see the damage (which isnt too bad).