PDA

View Full Version : more GW finds ..I gotta stop.

SEAWOLF97
10-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Hauled home a Sansui 8080db receiver today. Its the biggest, heaviest (45 lbs.) receiver I've ever had. Works great...small cabinet defects. Dolby, 3 sets of speakers. H , M , L tone controls.
and
BGW 250d power amp. only 40 lbs. , powers up OKAY, will test tomorrow.

I found valuations. Interested in opinions re: are these keepers OR better off to clean up and resell ?? I really like my current Denon DRA-775 and do not have a preamp to use with the BGW. So I guess the modified question should be....is the BGW good enough to warrant finding a preamp to use with it ?

loach71
10-24-2006, 10:09 PM
The 250D is a great power amp. Build quality is very good - it has a reasonably good bandwidth. The tube-o-philes on this board won't like it... I use it to power my Quad 57 electrostatics - and it sounds very good. It is a very stable amp - with a solid 100 watts per channel.
It is a good find.:applaud:

Find an old Harmon Kardon Citation 11 on eBay and you will have a good combo.

SEAWOLF97
10-25-2006, 08:16 AM
I have a PAT4 preamp sitting around, but nothing with balanced inputs. how can I test this pup ?

clmrt
10-25-2006, 08:29 AM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-285

Don't forget to test DC offset...

scott fitlin
10-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Hauled home a Sansui 8080db receiver today. Its the biggest, heaviest (45 lbs.) receiver I've ever had. Works great...small cabinet defects. Dolby, 3 sets of speakers. H , M , L tone controls.
and
BGW 250d power amp. only 40 lbs. , powers up OKAY, will test tomorrow.

I found valuations. Interested in opinions re: are these keepers OR better off to clean up and resell ?? I really like my current Denon DRA-775 and do not have a preamp to use with the BGW. So I guess the modified question should be....is the BGW good enough to warrant finding a preamp to use with it ?The BGW 250D is a nice sounding amp. Solid, and reliable, and clean sounding, with a hefty power supply, makes decent bottom, and clear mids. The D generation of the BGW,s were good sounding.

Now, about the stuff you seem to keep finding, the first step was admitting our lives had become unmanageable because......

:D

SEAWOLF97
10-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Now, about the stuff you seem to keep finding, the first step was admitting our lives had become unmanageable because......
:D

because.......It was $5, and I cant pass up a deal, even if I dont need it.

Isnt there some kind of recovery group for "dealaholics" ??:blink:

Fred Sanford
10-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Not that I've found. Don't call me if you find a cure, OK?

je :applaud:

SEAWOLF97
10-25-2006, 11:07 AM
its a monster , needs a little wood case work. another $5 down the tubes.........but works great , just had to replace one missing knob.

scott fitlin
10-25-2006, 11:13 AM
because.......It was $5, and I cant pass up a deal, even if I dont need it.

Isnt there some kind of recovery group for "dealaholics" ??:blink:They seem to have a recovery program for just about anything these days!

:)

hjames
10-25-2006, 11:40 AM
They seem to have a recovery program for just about anything these days!
:)
Of course - the first step in this recovery is to confess your illness ...

"My name is seawolf and I'm an Audioholic"

The next step is to apologize to all the friends you have done wrong, and send them the speakers and gear that you bought and didn't tell us about.

My address for the shipment is:

Heather
Chain Bridge Rd.
Fairfax, VA 22030

thank you,
thank you ...

scott fitlin
10-25-2006, 11:46 AM
My address for the shipment is:

Heather
Chain Bridge Rd.
Fairfax, VA 22030

thank you,
thank you ...[/quote]I am loading up the 18 wheeler right now, should arrive in two or three days.

:blink:

clmrt
10-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Finally, somewhere to send my Yorx collection.....THANKS!!:rockon2:

SEAWOLF97
10-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Finally, somewhere to send my Yorx collection.....THANKS!!:rockon2:

Yorx ?? My lifetime GPX and Soundesign collection. You do ACCEPT COD for shipping ?? Dont you ?

maybe I'll even throw in some Emmerson treasures.....

edgewound
10-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Finally, somewhere to send my Yorx collection...

Huh...I thought that was the sound from :barf: ing.

Please don't send that to me.

SEAWOLF97
10-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Coby too.
No that isn't a cheese !!

Oh yeah.....I hooked up the big Sansui 8080db receiver.

I have never liked Sansui. not their electronics nor speakers, nothing they make.

BUT, this seems to be a different animal. Very clean and authoritative. Unlike any Sansui that I've heard before. Really nice , BUT as Seawolf always says " When you spend $5 on audio gear IT BETTER sound good" !! :blink:

(sorry, gettin a little wiggy, 20 cent day on eBay and been slammin them up all morning , with a bunch more to go..)

Thom
10-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Unless it's only applicable to their equipment, and I doubt it, Rane has pretty good directions for hooking ballanced to unballanced and the other way around on their websight. I'm sure others do too but I just hooked up a Rane GE30 to unballanced pre and power amps and their directions made it dead simple.

audition
10-25-2006, 08:31 PM
My wife always complained about my stacked one on top of the other gear in the spare bedroom (to the roof) ...like all my treasures (ball and chains!) were useless..... I felt so liberated from those ball and chains when I just threw them all away..... now I cant believe what I could have gotten on EBaY for that "junk"! lololol.

Mark