PDA

View Full Version : refoam, tilted cone

jonrice
10-24-2006, 01:14 AM
Hello, I'm doing a refoam on a small pair of JBL 6'5 inch drivers, one off them seems to have a slight tilt when you look around the egde,not sure how this happend or if it will make much differance once the re-foam is done.

This will be my first bash at doing a refoam and have read up on every thing I could find, but did not come across this problem.

I like the idea of useing sound waves to centre the cone (would this get the tilt out).but being a newbie maybe useing shims(would this get the tilt out). would be better not sure.would like to get the tilt out if possible.

any tips?

thanks for reading

jon

johnaec
10-24-2006, 07:27 AM
The spider is probably warped from sitting in a cabinet too long in one orientation without proper surround support. It's likely the new surrounds will correct this in such a small speaker.

John

Hello, I'm doing a refoam on a small pair of JBL 6'5 inch drivers, one off them seems to have a slight tilt when you look around the egde,not sure how this happend or if it will make much differance once the re-foam is done.

This will be my first bash at doing a refoam and have read up on every thing I could find, but did not come across this problem.

I like the idea of useing sound waves to centre the cone (would this get the tilt out).but being a newbie maybe useing shims(would this get the tilt out). would be better not sure.would like to get the tilt out if possible.

any tips?

thanks for reading

jon

GordonW
10-24-2006, 12:06 PM
I've sometimes (even in JBL drivers) seen drivers, where the cone wasn't glued absolutely square onto the voice coil... it still works, it's just that the cone will have an appreciable tilt as you describe.

As long as the voice coil is lined up (ie, not rubbing), I've had such speakers work just fine. I defy anyone to hear a sonic difference... I've even MEASURED tilted and non-tilted cone drivers and there was nothing to distinguish them. Unless the tilt is SEVERE (as in a half-inch!), it's a benign condition...

Regards,
Gordon.

jonrice
10-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Thanks chaps thats good to know, it's only slightly out maybe 2mm at the most.

cheers.

jon.