PDA

View Full Version : L46 Woofers

Pioneer727
10-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi all I have a spec question you see my son in law just blew both woofers in my L46's Now I have to find replacements I am watching a pair of 116H's on ebay will they work for a replacement for the 117H. What would you recommend

Ron

Zilch
10-21-2006, 09:26 PM
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L46%20Sigma%20ts.pdf

116H-3 is current production, $216 apiece:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Transducer%20List/Transducer%20List.pdf

Did see a pair on eBay recently.

Perp pays....

bigyank
10-22-2006, 03:06 AM
I have a few extras. One has new surrounds but is a 1982 vintage and the ood other is the later 1983 version in need of surround but has a good voice coil and no scratchiness. PM me if interested.

Yank

Pioneer727
10-22-2006, 06:08 AM
Thanks guys are these the 116H-3's they only say 116H on the woofer.

Ron

mech986
10-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi Pioneer727,

Welcome to Lansing Heritage! Hope you enjoy your time here. Sorry to hear about your L46 damage. Here may be some help.

I was watching this pair on Ebay as possible spares for my L46's but sounds like you need them more. If the woofers are truly blown (not putting out anything anymore), then these should be good replacements for you. Note the foam surround is not like the original thin rubber, but those surrounds have never been available AFAIK.

If you do decide to trash the old woofer because the voice coils are fried, please let me know. I could use the original foam gaskets on the front of the frame if they can be taken off intact (usually with a thin blade).

Here's the link, I suspect if you contact the seller and offer the opening price, he'll probably take it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160042244337&rd=1&rd=1

Regards,

Bart

Zilch
10-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys are these the 116H-3's they only say 116H on the woofer.I don't have the parameters for 116H-3, but I can almost guarantee it is VERY different from 116H.

[116H is good for buildin' Minis, tho.... :thmbsup:]

Pioneer727
10-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Do any of you have a pair of 117H's for sale just hoping here headphones suck.

Thanks for the ebay link I contacted the seller fingers crossed.

Ron

Zilch
10-22-2006, 04:54 PM
I believe bigyank said he had some, above, no?

Pioneer727
10-22-2006, 08:08 PM
I believe bigyank said he had some, above, no?

Sent him a PM .

Thanks

Ron

Pioneer727
10-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi Pioneer727,

Welcome to Lansing Heritage! Hope you enjoy your time here. Sorry to hear about your L46 damage. Here may be some help.

I was watching this pair on Ebay as possible spares for my L46's but sounds like you need them more. If the woofers are truly blown (not putting out anything anymore), then these should be good replacements for you. Note the foam surround is not like the original thin rubber, but those surrounds have never been available AFAIK.

If you do decide to trash the old woofer because the voice coils are fried, please let me know. I could use the original foam gaskets on the front of the frame if they can be taken off intact (usually with a thin blade).

Here's the link, I suspect if you contact the seller and offer the opening price, he'll probably take it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160042244337&rd=1&rd=1

Regards,

Bart

Mech986 If I get a replacement sure you can have the gaskets:)

Ron

GordonW
10-23-2006, 08:25 AM
BTW: Just for the sake of accurate info- the 116A/116H/116H-1/116H-2/116H-3 all have TWO INCH voice coil diameter. In contrast, the 117H has a ONE AND ONE HALF inch voice coil.

Also, the difference between the paper dustcap on the 116 and the felt dustcap on the 117, will also make for a sonic signature difference.

In short, I wouldn't interchange them, unless you're prepared to start changing crossovers...

Regards,
Gordon.

Pioneer727
10-23-2006, 09:53 AM
BTW: Just for the sake of accurate info- the 116A/116H/116H-1/116H-2/116H-3 all have TWO INCH voice coil diameter. In contrast, the 117H has a ONE AND ONE HALF inch voice coil.

Also, the difference between the paper dustcap on the 116 and the felt dustcap on the 117, will also make for a sonic signature difference.

In short, I wouldn't interchange them, unless you're prepared to start changing crossovers...

Regards,
Gordon.

So I need the 117H-1 Would partsExpress have a 8" that would make a good replacement? I have to get them up and running again.

Ron

Pioneer727
10-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi Pioneer727,

Regards,

Bart

I want to Thank a few guys first mech986 for this Ebay Link:applaud:
and Zilch for sending me a PM stating he had relisted them.:applaud:
You Guys are the Best I now have my Woofers.:D
Thank You!

Ron

mech986
10-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Congrats and you're Welcome!!

Let us know how the woofers work out, remember that with new foams, they'll take some time to run in. Post some pics when you get them installed.

Regards,

Bart

Pioneer727
10-24-2006, 12:41 PM
I will oh do you still want the gaskets if I can get them off with tearing them LOL

Ron

mech986
10-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi Pioneer727,

Yes, I'd still like to get the gaskets if possible. So are the cones in these drivers immobile (locked in, don't move even with pressure) or are they freely mobile but non-responsive to signal, ohm out at infinity, etc. or do they rub and don't play properly? What is the condition of the woofers currently and do you have a photo?

Regards,

Bart

Pioneer727
10-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Well here is the story on these when I got these L46 of of ebay the seller said that they had new surrounds
when I got them I checked them sure the surrounds where new but they were put on wrong with the cone side put behind the cone when it was to be put in front of the cone well he did not do a good gluing either so when my son in law did his thing the cone came right out so hard it pulled the terminal wire to the cone right out and tore the surround and cone on the back side where the surround was clued on both speakers the bobbin in both is damaged as well, the only thing good on them is the baskets.
If you still want them let me know.

Ron

mech986
10-25-2006, 01:26 AM
Hi, yes, if the original soft or cushy rubber gasket was used for the refoam, then yes, I'd like to get those. They would be original. If the foam surround frame edge is covered with a paper or cardboard type gasket edge, then no, those would be aftermarket supplied and I wouldn't use them. As far as the frames are concerned, they aren't seen much, don't know if a recone kit is available, judging from the above replacement recommendation by JBL, probably not. Let me know or PM me with a pic.

Best to have a good low filter for the next set of woofers or don't let the son-in-law touch the volume control. Isn't he paying for the replacements?

Regards,

Bart

Fred Sanford
10-25-2006, 03:49 AM
Well here is the story on these when I got these L46 of of ebay the seller said that they had new surrounds
when I got them I checked them sure the surrounds where new but they were put on wrong with the cone side put behind the cone when it was to be put in front of the cone well he did not do a good gluing either so when my son in law did his thing the cone came right out so hard it pulled the terminal wire to the cone right out and tore the surround and cone on the back side where the surround was clued on both speakers the bobbin in both is damaged as well, the only thing good on them is the baskets.
If you still want them let me know.

Ron

All of my L46s had the original surrounds to the back of the cone. There's a picture of my six L46s, the outer pairs still have the original surrounds, the inner pair's surrounds have been replaced:

http://tinyurl.com/y8pcoq

I have the OEM-surrounded woofers boxed up with me, if you want me to take more pics I can. Sounds to me like it could have been poor gluing, for sure, but more likely an over-exuberant hand on the volume knob (or bass control). Just my opinion.

Good luck,

je

Pioneer727
10-25-2006, 05:24 AM
You bet he is paying for them and he is Not allowed near my system. I was outside doing yardwork when he did this. I have them hooked up to a Pioneer SX-1050 at 125 watts per I did a complete recap of this unit and it pounds I never have the volume past 11 oclock. Thank god he was not playing his heavy metal I would have blown tweeters now to.

Ron

bigyank
10-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Yes I have 2 of them available. A 1982 vintage which has a new surround and a working 1983 which needs a new surround. Only difference is the aluminum frame of the 1982 is slightly smaller but mounts without incident.

Yank