PDA

View Full Version : surround on 2215B

Chef Henry
10-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Well over a decade ago, my buddy, a former JBL contractor, was given 5 blown 2215Bs out of trashed 4320s. He had them rebuilt by Eric Wayne at Gabriel Sound, an authorized JBL repair agency, using genuine JBL cone/coil/surround kits. After they were repaired, they were replaced in their cardboard boxes, and stored in my buddy's attic.

I am contemplating buying them (along with the matching 2240s, which had new factory diaphragms installed at the same time). However, I have concerns about the viability of the surrounds. My buddy went up to his attic today and checked them out, pronouncing them in perfect condition.

Given that they have never been used, nor exposed to UV, is there any possibilty that this could be the case? Or does the foam deteriorate, regardless?

edgewound
10-20-2006, 12:19 PM
I am contemplating buying them (along with the matching 2240s, which had new factory diaphragms installed at the same time). However, I have concerns about the viability of the surrounds. My buddy went up to his attic today and checked them out, pronouncing them in perfect condition.

Given that they have never been used, nor exposed to UV, is there any possibilty that this could be the case? Or does the foam deteriorate, regardless?

Now yer cookin'...:o: ....sorry:p .

The answer to your question is a definite "maybe".

Like a mushroom stored in the dark,they might be just fine for now. However, their remaining usable life is probably alot less that fresh, new surrounds.

I think you made a typo when posting "2240"(?) which is a pro sound 18" with an "m-roll" cloth surround.

Maybe you meant 2440(?).

Chef Henry
10-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Dave, I may have used the 'B' suffix in error. These are woofers from 5 4320 cabinets salvaged from a college, and like the LE15As in my S7Rs, have foam surrounds. I don't know what toll the heat and cold in the attic may have had on the foam, but they appear perfect.

Edgewound, your mushroom simile suggest psychic powers. Arthur, now 84 and one of audio's greatest sages and in whose attic the speakers reside, once had his shop in a landmark building that had been designed and built expressly for the commercial cultivation of mushrooms!

The Mushroom Farm, as the locals called it before it was demolished a decade ago, looked like a giant's set of Pan pipes lying on the ground, half buried in the hillside, covered with fox grapes and ivy. Each of the 6 or 8 pipes housed a business, of which Custom Music Systems was one.

Yesterday, I picked up my wife's car which had been at the mechanic's for brakes, master cylinders, and a new gas tank. While driving it home it started to shake violently, suggesting that the trans is going. This was particularly inconvenient, because earlier in the day, my wife, who had borrowed my gorgeous '92 Roadmaster , which was like a Paragon Ranger on wheels, broadsided a woman who had run a stop sign. Due to its age, I am certain that the woman's insurance agency will total it out. I am hoping that I have run out of bad luck with inanimate objects, and the surrounds, at least, will be OK.

speakerdave
10-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi Chef Henry,

I must have pulled my post as you were responding to it. Sorry. What I said was based on my confusing the woofer model numbers, so I thought it contributed nothing to the conversation. 2215B=LE15A and has a foam surround. 2216=LE15B and has the doped cloth accordian surround. This is from Wiseman Widget here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11515&highlight=2216

David

Thom
10-23-2006, 10:19 AM
No personal wisdom here, but I've frequently heard it speculated that air pollutants are responsable for the deteriation and that each year ,regardless of age, they deteriated faster than the year before due to more interesting substances in the air. True? I don't know, but you probably have a lot better chance the more sealed off they were from everyday air, maybe. You will probably know when you inspect them.