PDA

View Full Version : Tony Joe White

Rolf
10-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi all.

My request doesen't seems to be read by many, so here it is in a new thread.

I just bought Tony Joe White's "UNCOVERED". Guest artists are J.J. Cale, Eric Clapton, Waylon Jennings, Mark Knopfler and Michael McDonald.

This Cd has a very good sound, and after song no 3 I just had to search the net for the studio this album is recorded. The "Church St. Studios (Franklin), and find nothing!

In the comments Mr. White thanks the musicians who played with him in "this old studio".

This album gives me "the good old feeling" when most albums was recorded and mixed on JBL speakers.

Does anyone of you "over there" know or have the possibility to find out?

I will recommend this album to everybody ... That is if you like the music of course.

doodlebug
10-19-2006, 07:45 PM
TJ White just came through here the other week on what's clearly a tour for the CD - or maybe the other way around.

I'd suggest that there's likely a site where his fans post. I didn't try to find it, though.

Greetings from CA, too.

Cheers,

David

Rolf
10-20-2006, 12:46 AM
TJ White just came through here the other week on what's clearly a tour for the CD - or maybe the other way around.

I'd suggest that there's likely a site where his fans post. I didn't try to find it, though.

Greetings from CA, too.

Cheers,

David

http://www.tonyjoewhite.com :)

morbo!
10-26-2006, 05:16 PM
thanks rolf
I never heard tony joe before

situation rectified

not to shabby
I like his sound.
more listening required

jim campbell
10-26-2006, 10:02 PM
tony joe white had a hit back around 68 called polk salad annie.i think he comes out of louisiana or mississippi.i never got to hear a complete album but there is a dvd available from newwest records;live from austin tx.the original half hour programs have been expanded to the full hour and remastered for stereo and surround.they are releasing others in the series and i am waiting to see whats next as austin city limits has been around for 30 years and probably has a lot of great stuff in the vault.i can only guess but i think polk salad refers to something eaten during tough times and named after the president at the time.up here there was a bennett buggy during the depression which was a car towed by horses because the owner could no longer afford spare parts or acquire gasoline.perhaps some of our southern bretheren have some insight

Rolf
10-27-2006, 12:10 AM
thanks rolf
I never heard tony joe before

situation rectified

not to shabby
I like his sound.
more listening required

Hey morbo.

Try to get your hands of some of his earlier albums. A lot of good stuff there too.

alskinner
10-28-2006, 06:58 AM
Hi Jim

Polk Sallet is actually the American Pokeweed. Sallet is an old term used for cooked greens. Often the word Salad is used instead of Sallet. If eaten it has to be cooked carefully since the plant can have toxins. Young leaves need to be washed thoroughly and boiled twice discarding the first water. They can then be seasoned and are very good. Like a lot of indiginous southern plants it's best to listen to the old folks on how to properly prepare them.

From your southern brother
AL

jim campbell
10-28-2006, 09:50 AM
thanx al.is the spelling related to the former president or just coincidence?

Ken Pachkowsky
10-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi Jim

From your southern brother
AL

Hi Al

How's those 2405's working out?

Tony Joe Whites cd is excellent by the way.

Ken

alskinner
10-28-2006, 02:24 PM
There seems to be some dispute of the origin of the work Polk instead of Poke. The consensus seems to be that Pokeweed sprigs were worn by the followers of James Polk when he ran for the presidency, mistakenly thinking the plant was named after him. Next weeks cooking lesson will be Possum and Sweet taters.

Ken

The 2405s are fantastic. I have been a fan of Tony Joe White since 69. Altough he was fortunate to have the promotion and management, there are a lot of great southern musicians that recorded at mom and pop studios that didn't have the payola to have their music played on radio stations.

jim campbell
10-28-2006, 04:38 PM
al; if you have any interesting titles or artists let me know.im a big hank sr. fan and its always fun to find those hidden regional gems.as a matter of fact ive been thinking of approaching the moderators to devote space for links to those less well known labels.i think as the big outlets like tower bite the dust fewer and fewer outlets will devote shelf space to those kinds of music.we do have a really good source here for roots stuff;the winnipeg folk festival music store.thanx for the cooking/history lesson

JBLnsince1959
10-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Next weeks cooking lesson will be Possum and Sweet taters.

Don't forget the blackeye peas, collard greens and corn bread. We may have to teach those "nothern boys" about the proper use "Pot liquor" on their corn bread and Louisiana hot sauce on the greens...;)

No better time than "Rat Now" to educate everyone..in fact I'm thinking of Fix'en some myself....

Bob Womack
10-29-2006, 07:12 AM
I'm in the recording industry and have access to some studio directories and such. I'm originally from Tennessee, so I have a little interest in the Nashville/Franklin/Brentwood recording scene, as well. I've been searching for the information you are seeking - for some sort of listing on Church St. Recording that might tell what kind of monitors they have. I can tell you I haven't been able to find ANYTHING, including the name, except in the context of Tony Joe White. There ARE the 17th street Ocean Way Studios (built in an old church), now owned by Belmont University in Nashville near the old music row, and Church St in Franklin is the center of the recording business there as well, but I can't find that particular name on a facility.

I can tell you that sometimes in credits artists change the name of the studio where they work for "political" reasons, ie. there is a business conflict that prevents mention of the studio. I've been there before, crediting hours to "Cherokee Ridge Recording". Cherokee Ridge was a studio I put together at the very beginning of my career but closed when I was hired by a large concern. Whenever I need a credit but can't disclose, the credit goes back there, despite the fact that I now live in a VERY flat region... :D

Oh, well,

Bob

Rolf
10-29-2006, 08:42 AM
This thread has taken a way I did not thought about. What I wanted to know is if the recording is done on "old" JBL monitors. ... and what other equipment is in the "garage".

toddalin
10-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Next weeks cooking lesson will be Possum and Sweet taters.

The trick here is when setting out for the day, put a circle around all of the possum road kill you see. When you come back, if it ain't circled, it's fresh, so have at it! :biting: