PDA

View Full Version : 4435 Project update

Midnight
12-06-2003, 11:51 AM
Well, I am getting there.
Veneering was a challenge but I got it done.
Now with a nice maple finish.
I have some 2225 in them right now waiting for my 2234 recones.
They should be done in a few weeks.
I am looking forward to that day. How different will the sound be with the 2234’s.
What are the characteristics of those woofers?
I still have to make the grill. I can’t seam to locate the blue JBL speaker cloth.
I will more then likely have to go to a black cloth.
Here are a few pictures from before and now.

http://members.shaw.ca/debelled/sound/Image002a.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/debelled/sound/Image064a.jpg

jtgyn
12-06-2003, 11:02 PM
G'Day Midnight,
Did you resurface your 2344 horns? They look very shiny. If you did I am interested in the process as mine are a little rough.

Regards Scott

Midnight
12-07-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by jtgyn
G'Day Midnight,
Did you resurface your 2344 horns? They look very shiny. If you did I am interested in the process as mine are a little rough.

Regards Scott

Yes, I did
All I did was sand them down with a fine sand paper.(800grit)
and use a Black Satin Automotive trim coating paint.
This paint is use on auto trim, like rubber bumpers. Its made for rubber. Its also made for exterior use so its very tough. It comes in a spray can. 2 coats of that and it was done.

You can get this at any body shop supply store.

Denis
;)

Earl K
12-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Hi Dennis

- Looking Good :thmbsup:

- Great Info , Thanks !

<. Earl K :cheers:

JonFairhurst
12-08-2003, 11:58 PM
>> "How different will the sound be with the 2234’s. What are the characteristics of those woofers? "

The 2234s are deeper and flatter than the 2225s, but not by a ton. And they're not as deep as 2235s. But the magic is the x-overs. The 2nd 2234 shoud come on just as the 1st is dropping off.

I doubt that the 2225s would match up correctly. Intuitively I would guess that you would get a dip around 70 Hz with an attenuated bump around 45 Hz. It wouldn't be terrible, but wouldn't have the magic of the intended tuning.

At CES last year it was clear that Greg Timbers is still infactuated with the 4435 low-end design. It's a brilliant way to get high efficiency with a deep bottom end.

Good luck getting the project finished. And keep that black paint away from my horns :-)

Ian Mackenzie
12-09-2003, 02:00 AM
Very impressive job

Ian;)

4313B
12-09-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by JonFairhurst
At CES last year it was clear that Greg Timbers is still infactuated with the 4435 low-end design. It's a brilliant way to get high efficiency with a deep bottom end.Yes, it is an extremely impressive bottom end.

4313B
12-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Midnight, I took this brand new 4430 grille out of the shipping box and snapped a picture of the back so you could see the recess. :)

I don't have any 4435 grilles left and never bothered to measure them :(

12-10-2003, 02:44 PM
I have got the 4345 now, but think that the 4435's I used to own had even better bottom end. They were all original with the 2234's. I used to be fascinated with the bass response of those speakers. I think the best I have ever heard.

Midnight
12-11-2003, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the picture of the grill Giskard
These seam to be a little more complex then I thought.
This is going to take some work to duplicate.
I wish I could just purchase them but they are no longer available.
How deep is the recess at the bottom of the grill, where the cloth is glued

By the way, thanks guys for all your comments, I am looking forward to those 2234’s
The cabinets just don’t seam to have the bass I am looking for with the 2225 in them.
They are tight but not deep.

4313B
12-11-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Midnight
How deep is the recess at the bottom of the grill, where the cloth is glued?1/8"

The cabinets just don’t seam to have the bass I am looking for with the 2225 in them.
They are tight but not deep.
Yeah well the 2225H is roughly 3 dB lower in output around 50 Hz and you would be experiencing a fairly substantial sag between 25 Hz and 200 Hz using the 2225H in this particular enclosure/tuning as compared to the 2234H... so... basically the usual low frequency imbalance debacle :p

This would be a perfect time to quote a certain JBL Engineer's often heard response - "won't work."

Robh3606
12-11-2003, 08:51 PM
Hello Midnight

Wow those are looking good!! When you take out the 2225's for the recones can you measure the DCR on the inductors to both woofers?? Sure would be nice to know the value for those of us not lucky enough to have the original crossovers.

Thanks Rob:)

subwoof
12-11-2003, 09:08 PM
hello! I *just* gave the DCR info to giskard:

The largest coils are not identified on the pwb ( except for e numbers ) and the metal / foam cradle obscures the part number ( of course )

The coil on E5 and E6 is 1.41 ohms ( I assume this is the 18mh coil )

The coil on E7 and E8 is .45 ohms ( I assume this is the 2.6mh coil )

The DCR of L1 ( P/N 61014 ) is .15 ohms

The DCR of L2 ( P/N 61021 ) is .38 ohms

sub

Robh3606
12-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Subwoof

You are da man

jtgyn
12-12-2003, 02:50 AM
G'Day Sub,
Thank you!

lets see, the winding height vs the winding radius vs the inductance vs the winding resistance vs the .... he went on dreamily: "messing--about--in--boats";(with coils) {Ratty}

Regards Scott

RienNeVaPlus
01-22-2004, 02:28 PM
at first I have to give a great compliment to your project to reanimate a pair of 4435!
I browsed the net and found the attached picture of an '4435' which is notably different from the one you/we know.
Can anyone explane what is to see at the picture please??
What the hell is that HF PANEL?!
http://www.dbcon.com.au/MyPictures/finnish.jpg

Guido
01-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Ha!

Exactly this I was discussing today with Ralf.

I told him about my plans for a MTM Tower version of the 4435 and that I want to name them 4435 MK2.
He insisted in the 2405 as top end.

Here's it Ralf! :D

Ralf
01-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Guido
Ha!

He insisted in the 2405 as top end.

Here's it Ralf! :D

'Insisted' is exaggerated. I thought only loud to use the 2405 maybe. However Guido wants to measure the 2344A/2426H combination with the network of the 4430 (YES, he owns a brandnew frequency measuring system...the capitalist :thmbsup: )

If results are available, we will see...

Ralf

Hofmannhp
01-23-2004, 05:15 AM
I still have to make the grill. I can’t seam to locate the blue JBL speaker cloth.

Hi Midnight,

have you managed your problem to find the right speaker cloth, I mean the grille.
You have to know that it looks very dark blue, nearly black.
<------ look to the avatar
There's a big difference between the picture of Giskards 4430 grille. Maybe there are different colors on the market.

If you need some measurements of the grille construction, just let me know.

HP

4313B
01-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Hofmannhp
Hi Midnight,

have you managed your problem to find the right speaker cloth, I mean the grille.
You have to know that it looks very dark blue, nearly black.
<------ look to the avatar
There's a big difference between the picture of Giskards 4430 grille. Maybe there are different colors on the market.Good grief. The blue grille cloth in my poor digital picture is THE genuine JBL blue found on every JBL Studio Monitor that uses blue grille cloth. That particular picture was taken in sunlight and the blue shows up pretty bright. It looks just like the blue in your little avatar in normal lighting.

I have bought numerous bolts from JBL over the last twentysome years but unfortunately cannot find enough left to cover a pair of 4435 grilles. I know I had another bolt somewhere that would do the trick, but I have been unable to find it. I sent samples, which I had to cut out of what little I can find, to Mr. Widget and Oldmics. They were going to find other sources for the cloth.

jbl
01-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Hi Midnight,
I am interested in hearing your opinion regarding the 2225 v 2234 in your system. I have been using the 2225H's for nearly 20 years and have never found them lacking in the low end. At the time I put together my system back then, auditioned a pair of 4435's. To me, they had the same quick attack as the 2225's in a 5ft3 cabinet with, of course, a larger overall sound. As far as the low end is concerned, there was a somewhat lower end, but not dramatic. I played the same source disc.

jbl

4313B
01-23-2004, 02:29 PM
The 4435 is arguably one of the most dramatic bottom ends JBL has ever produced in a production Studio Monitor. I too am anxious to see what Midnight thinks.

Audiobeer
01-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Veneering was a challenge but I got it done.
Now with a nice maple finish.
I have some 2225 in them right now waiting for my 2234 recones.
They should be done in a few weeks.
I am looking forward to that day. How different will the sound be with the 2234’s.
What are the characteristics of those woofers?
Here are a few pictures from before and now.

http://members.shaw.ca/debelled/sound/Image002a.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/debelled/sound/Image064a.jpg

Outph^&*ing Standing! Keep the pics coming!!

Don McRitchie
01-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Can anyone explane what is to see at the picture please??

That picture has been referenced a few times on our previous forums. A few people looked into it. The best information that we have is that it is not a factory addition. Someone has custom built a box for the 2405 and added a JBL badge.

Midnight
01-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Hello guys
Sorry about the delay. I didn’t even realize that the thread was still alive.
I do have updates. The cabinets are done for the exception of the grill and the
Finish on the wood. I will be waiting for summer to apply the varnish. It’s a little much for the basement. The 2234 have now been installed.
Here are a few pictures

http://members.shaw.ca/debelled/sound/4435-001.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/debelled/sound/4435-003.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/debelled/sound/4435-006.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/debelled/sound/4435-007.jpg

No, I have not found any Jbl cloth material as of yet but its not like I have been looking very hard for it either. Hopefully, I can come across some otherwise I will have to use some black cloth.

I only ever had 2 2225 in the cabinets. So it kind of hard to compare them to the 2234
I now have both cabinets working compare to only one when I had the 2225 installed.

The speakers are in a unfinished basement with a concrete floor and no real wall material. This affects the sound by a lot, I would think. The 2234 go down low in response. They are neat. They just rumble and shake the house. They don’t take the power that the 2225 could handle. Because of there foam suspension. The 2225 have more sound pressure to them but lack in the low low bass. The 2225 move your hair back but the 2234 move the house. They are more of a Hi fi speaker compare to the pa sound of the 2225.

I would love to try these cabinets upstairs but the wife wont let me, beside I don’t have any room for them there. I never realize how large they are until I got them finish and side by side. You need a large room for these guys. So now I have to finish the basement.

When I first fire them up, I found them way to heavy in the top end. I hade the mid turned
Right down to almost the min. The horns just seam to over power the speaker. Basement floor and all might of made it worst. So I decided to use a external crossover. Thanks to Giskard and is drawing, I was able to make the proper cards for my 5235 crossover.

Now they really rock. I love the sound. I really need to finish the basement.

http://members.shaw.ca/debelled/sound/4435-004.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/debelled/sound/4435-005.jpg

4313B
01-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Fantastic! :)

If I can offer one thought though? Keep those drivers away from your computer hard disk drives or you could lose data ;)

It looks like you already know that though since you have the horns / compression drivers "outboard" :)

Midnight
01-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Many thanks to Giskard and everyone else on this forum for all the help.
Could not of been done without all your help
Denis:)