PDA

View Full Version : JBL Bookshelve Speakers

doclamb
10-18-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm looking for a smaller set of JBL speakers to pair with a vintage Yamaha 810 integrated for a bedroom system. I'd appreciate your suggestions/ opinions on some of the vintage L series or JBL bookshelve speakers that might do some of the things that the L100's / 4312's do, but in a smaller package. Thanks in advance.

Don C
10-18-2006, 11:08 AM
I think that the Studio series S-38 from a couple of years ago is an excellent choice for a bedroom. The only downside is the vinyl cabinet finish.

Titanium Dome
10-18-2006, 11:25 AM
In most respects, the Northridge E50 is better than an L100, if sound is your main concern, and it's definitely a smaller package.

Before some OF points out the obvious: the E50 does not have real wood veneer on the cabinets, the woofer is smaller and has a stamped frame, and the drivers in general are not traditional, standard JBL parts (whatever that means these days).

OTOH, the E50 speakers have superior HF (including Ti composite drivers in an EOS WaveGuide), more neutral MF (PolyPlas shielded driver), more articulate LF (PolyPlas shielded driver), better crossovers (SSP design), better enclosure design (including FreeFlow® ports and a better baffle), better speaker connectors, and greater sensitivity.

The L100 will reproduce lower notes and the midrange is more in your face, although you'll have to judge the quality of the reproduction.

Don't misunderstand; I'm a big L100 fan. I have some I listen to every week. :) I have a pair of them running off the same receiver as a pair of E50s. When I want nostalgia, the L100s are perfect. When I want better sound, the E50s come on line.

There are smaller vintage bookshelves others will no doubt recommend with wood veneer cabinets and standard drivers. They all have the advocates and advantages, and I like 'em all, but they're not all that.

Feel free to explore the entire range of JBL bookshelf offerings, both past and present. :bouncy:

Titanium Dome
10-18-2006, 11:27 AM
I think that the Studio series S-38 from a couple of years ago is an excellent choice for a bedroom. The only downside is the vinyl cabinet finish.

By Poseidon's beard, thanks Don for making that suggestion! That is a good bookshelf unit, too, and still available from some outlets.

Zilch
10-18-2006, 12:52 PM
I'd appreciate your suggestions/ opinions on some of the vintage L series or JBL bookshelve speakers that might do some of the things that the L100's / 4312's do, but in a smaller package.What is your perception of what L00s/4312s "do?"

oznob
10-18-2006, 01:49 PM
I currently use L1's for my bedroom system and they sound great, good highs and mid-range with a real punchy bass. They certainly will not win any beauty contests however. You can sometimes find a decent pair on ebay and/or craigslist for around $100 to $150. If you want a more handsome speaker with a wood finish, the L18t and L20t are great speakers also. A nice pair may cost you a bit more than the L1's.

Wornears
10-18-2006, 01:50 PM
JBL L-36

I played mine from 1977--2004 with Yamaha CA-gear, before giving them to my teenage son. Actually more sonically balanced than the L-100, IME -- not overloading bass. But still has that pushy midrange and clean highs. Mine/his also have real oak veneer and flaming orange cloth grills. Nothing says '70s like those grills.

The newer speakers with Ti tweeters are just too fizzy and tinny to my middle-aged ears. <G>

doclamb
10-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Zilch, I'm interested in the JBL house "monitor" sound which I've always enjoyed, even on their smaller offerings. Punchy bass, midrange more up front, nice high's without sizzle although I'm sure many would discribe their sound differently. I'm probably more familiar with the Pioneer HPM 100 sound that I owned in the 70's and paired well with a Yamaha reciever also of that time. I don't have the room for speakers of that size in this room so I thought something smaller from JBL, might pair well with my vintage integrated as a second system. My present speakers in my main listening room are some nice rebuilt Altec Model 19's which I think are fantastic, but I also have a large enough room for them. Thanks again.