PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/ Altec speaker I.D.

Rex Everything
10-17-2006, 09:28 PM
I am looking at a set of Altec to purchase and could use some help w/ identifing the components in the system.

Here is what I know:

Speakers started out as Altec 872B Madrids. The front board was replaced and a 12" Altec from a Model 14 was refoamed, reconed and installed. A 2.5" Altec tweater was added as well.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/ampegmang/madrid.jpg

Any help w/ componets model numbers and thoughts is appreciated

Thanks in advance.

edgewound
10-18-2006, 10:32 AM
That component complement was also known as the "Santana" or "Santana II"....whose cabinet had a simulated slate top.

I can't remember which without some research, but that cast frame 12" woofer came in two versions...an 1.5" voice coil, and a 2" voice coil which had the larger magnet/motor.

Rex Everything
10-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the reply edgewound.

I find it hard to believe that w/ all the "experts" on this board and over 50 people looking at this post that know one has a clue as to what model number woofer, tweeter and cross over is in this cab.

No one knows what model 12" woofer came in the model 14 speakers?

I guess I just don't have enough post or summin. I thought this would be a far more helpful and friendlier board. I guess after the trouble I got on my first post I should have know better.

edgewound
10-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the reply edgewound.

I find it hard to believe that w/ all the "experts" on this board and over 50 people looking at this post that know one has a clue as to what model number woofer, tweeter and cross over is in this cab.

No one knows what model 12" woofer came in the model 14 speakers?

I guess I just don't have enough post or summin. I thought this would be a far more helpful and friendlier board. I guess after the trouble I got on my first post I should have know better.

Here ya go Rex:

Model 14 woofer: Altec part number 34633
Santana II woofer: Altec part number 33785

C'mon Rex...I just found my old Altec parts list.

I oughtta send you a bill for the bad attitude....sometimes free info takes a while.;) :D

Rex Everything
10-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Yo edge,

That was not directed at you but at all the others who have looked and not given any info or the people who know but did not give up the info. I appreciate the info you gave earlier and just now.

I thank you for the info however I am not familure w/ these numbers. I was looking for something like 417-8h or something along those lines. I'll have to go take a look and see if there is a crossrefrence for those numbers.

scott fitlin
10-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Rex, Ill be very honest with you, I looked at this thread, and didnt answer because I didnt have the answer. VOTT I know, the Altec home line I never really had, or paid too much attention to.

Not that I havent heard Model 19,s and think they are good, but its the bigger pro gear I use and am completely familiar with.

You have a speaker I am totally unfamiliar with. I would never venture an answer on something I admittedly know nothing about.

Thats why I didnt answer! It didnt have anything to do with being freindly or not.

BTW, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

P.S. Another one to ask about these would be Todd White on the Altec users board. he pops in here from time to time too!

:)

Rex Everything
10-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Scott,

Thanks for the welcome. I understand why you did not respond. I guess I just assumed that someone here would have been familure w/ the Altec model 14 speaker.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. I should have worded my response a bit different.

scott fitlin
10-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Its cool, I just saw the reponse and answered why I didnt answer!

Heres a good spot for everything Altec!

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/forum/f/3729

I guess I could have posted this earlier though!

Better late than never! :)

Gary L
10-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi Rex and welcome!

It is kind of tuff to ID your speakers since allot of changes have been made.

Here is what I do know. The woofs in the 14s are the larger 2" VC but otherwise look the same as the ones in my model 15s that are the smaller 1.5" VC. Think they were sourced out to RCA but made to Altec specs.

GPA Great Plains Audio can recone them and if you do some searching in their site you can find some info about them as far as part numbers and availability. You already have the numbers but GPAs site is a wealth of info.

They added a Tweeter but do you know if they upgraded or changed the XO to handle the addition. Many guys who add additional speakers into boxes simply wire them into the existing network and although they might work, it is totally not Kosher. I have seen this a few times with older speakers.
It also appears your boxes were made to handle a 15" woofer. I am not familiar with this model or what came in them but think you would do well to get the right woof for the size of your enclosure.
Just a while back a member here was searching for the model 14 woofers you have so I am sure you could get the correct ones and sell these.
Bookmark GPAs site so you have it for future reference.
Think I would start at the lansing heritage site and research what your speakers are supposed to have in them. I would be willing to bet they will sound much better when all the correct parts are working as designed.
http://www.audioheritage.org/
Search around in here and try to find your exact speaker and any info you can.
Quite a few members here can put their fingers right on the exact pages very quick. Not me with a slow dial up.

I am certain you can find all the correct parts to bring these back to their original glory and this is the direction I would point you in.

Gary

moldyoldy
10-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi, Rex,

You can find all the info you seek in the library on this site;

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/reference/1975-driver.htm

Answers are sometimes slow to appear in posts if they can be easily found by the diligent searcher/browser. As Edge posted, the woofers in question aren't any of the more common ones designated by a model number. Doubt if there are many folks alive that could pull this obscure part number from memory at will. Stick around, you'll see the number of questions posed by ingrateful Ebayers that are too lazy to search the info themselves exceeds what even the well-informed members can handle.

Rex Everything
10-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the welcome.

GaryL, the speaker originally came w/ the 420Y. The 12" woofer was reconed and the cross over was rebuilt to accomodate the new tweeter. Alll this was done by the only guy in town I know of that is an authorized tech. He is the same guy I bought my Altec 846B's from and I trust him. I have not had a chance to talk to him about these speakers yet as they are coming from a different seller. Thanks to you and Moldy for your input. It is much appreciated.

Moldy, just to let you know and to state it again for all to know I am not an ebay seller just looking for info for my sales piece. I am a "n00b" to the vintage stereo scene and a long time Altec Lansing speaker fan(mostly guitar and bass stuff). As I've stated before I will be hanging around. I just found these speakers locally for a very sweet price and was trying to get a bit of info and thoughts from the seasoned vets such as yourself.
Thanks to both of you for the links and the input and I hope to be talking with you all for some time to come.

Now I have to go check out the speakers and a couple of Marantz recievers. :)

Gary L
10-24-2006, 05:45 AM
I love searching the libraries for the info I seek but have to do it late at night when traffic is down and I have time to play the click and wait game.

Sorry if I offended anyone here but it is much easier for those with HS connections.

Gary

Rex Everything
10-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Well, I brought the speakers home last night. My second set of Altecs in a few months:applaud: . Even though they are not all original they sure do sound great and look like the little brother of my 846's. I can't wait to get them hooked up here and have a good listen to them.

I also picked up a Marantz 2265 & 2270 as well.

Thanks to all for your help and comments, it is much appreciated

Rex Everything
10-24-2006, 05:39 PM
here is a quick pic of the "modded" Altec Madrid 872B setting next to my Valencia 846B. The Marantz 2270 is on the right Valencia and the Marantz 2265 is on the left Valancia.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/ampegmang/A.jpg

Sure is sounding good down here lately :D

If someone wants better pics just let me know.

Again, thanks to all who helped w/ numbers, links and comments.

Time to go listen to these and the near mint collection of 98 albums I picked up today :blink:

Been a good week :applaud:

moldyoldy
10-24-2006, 09:07 PM
I think several people scored this week, Congrats!

Me? Didn't sleep well last night, so after lunch today I flopped on the couch for a little nap. Didn't wake till 3:00, and realized I'd missed the closing of the only item I've bid on eBay in months. Yeah, I'd been sniped, but could have dealt with it had my head not been up my ass. One of those items you only see once a year, too. I bummed until reading of your good fortune, and for some strange reason, feel much better now. Thanks!

Rex Everything
10-24-2006, 10:19 PM
I think several people scored this week, Congrats!

Me? Didn't sleep well last night, so after lunch today I flopped on the couch for a little nap. Didn't wake till 3:00, and realized I'd missed the closing of the only item I've bid on eBay in months. Yeah, I'd been sniped, but could have dealt with it had my head not been up my ass. One of those items you only see once a year, too. I bummed until reading of your good fortune, and for some strange reason, feel much better now. Thanks!

You are welcome!

Sorry to hear you missed your item but am glad I could help brighten your day :)

Now I just need to find a couple wood cases for the Marantzs' and a power switch for the 2265.