PDA

View Full Version : Different Tweeter to Tweeter Question

Ducatista47
10-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I've mentioned a few time here how I position my monitors (separated but) tweeter to tweeter, which is backwards from some factory brochure illustrations. It is in accordance with a sometimes seen method of speaker placement to "link" the tweeters, I assume for better coherence and imaging. With the 4345's it makes no spacing difference on the 2245H, places the 2122H and the 2421B more widely and the 2405's much closer together. Bear in mind this is normal two channel stereo music listening, not stacked and not multiple transducers with one source - thus a different thread from this current thread: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12548

Since I like the sound better this way, I am seeking theoretical explainations rather than placement advice. Does tweeter "linking" result in a larger sweet spot, like D'Appolito Configuration? Is there anything else at work here?

I can tell you that it does seem to make a difference here, where I cannot place the speakers very (read any further) far apart; I did also like it better even when I could.

Sorry this might be better located on general audio discussion, but I don't want to type it again! And it is about big JBL Monitors, specifically (or maybe not ;)). You can tell I put some effort into this experimentation; moving 4345's back and forth is not for the faint of heart.

Clark in Peoria