PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter to tweeter positioning.

alexkerhead
10-07-2006, 11:39 PM
OKies, i have seen a ton of images with L100s stacked tweeter to tweeter.
I had never thought about it, but it makes sense to keep the woofers away from the tweeters due to the low freq that distorts the high freq.
Well, i gave it a shot, and I must say, the highs are much clearer, especially for concert and piano music.
The bass sounds cleaners as well.

Am I right to assume the odd positioning reduces frequency distortion?
I assume that a low freq wave can break up a high freq wave just a bit.

Zilch
10-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Am I right to assume the odd positioning reduces frequency distortion?

I assume that a low freq wave can break up a high freq wave just a bit.Nope. You've reduced the phase interference occuring from having multiple sources playing the same program material, is what. Getting the tweeters closer together makes them behave more like a single coherent source.

You've still got it, though, and more from the mids and woofers, which are playing full-range. You're awash with lobing - reinforcements and rarefactions, at virtually all frequencies. That's fine, if you want, but don't expect the setup to produce any semblance of accuracy, linearity, or imaging.

What's the answer? Don't have more than one speaker system playing the same program material in any listening space. The designers invested considerable effort in assembling a combination of drivers, filters, and cabinet to create an integrated, coherent source. You're blowing it away thinking "More is better."

In this case, it isn't. Ask yourself why you're doing it.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10979

[A touchy subject.... ;) ]

alexkerhead
10-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info, but come on zilch, you should know I don't think 2 sets sounds better than 1.
As far as dB is concerned, I use both sets, but for average listening, I use the custom set of l100s.

Lets assume I don't need 'pure" atriculacy for both pairs running. Then stacking tweeter to tweeter should be better?

spkrman57
10-08-2006, 10:10 AM
If you like it, it don't have to conform to the masses!

Ron

Mr. Widget
10-08-2006, 12:48 PM
...and Fisher studio monitorsI'm more interested in these... what speakers are they?

As for stacked L100s... try to get a pair of L200Bs and add a tweeter or a pair of L300s... they'll get louder and sound a little better.;)

Widget

alexkerhead
10-08-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm more interested in these... what speakers are they?

As for stacked L100s... try to get a pair of L200Bs and add a tweeter or a pair of L300s... they'll get louder and sound a little better.;)

Widget Lets just say my budget is around $75 right now.:(

Trust me, the fishers are stamped frame junk.
They just say studio monitor, but I doubt a studio would use them.

Zilch
10-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Lets just say my budget is around $75 right now.:(http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12267

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12522

Don Mascali
10-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Years ago "Speaker Builder" magazine had an article on the lowly Rat Shack Minimus 7. They were a cheap little metal enclosured two way with a fabric dome 1" tweeter and a 4" woofer. The idea was mount them tweet to tweet in an D'Appolito configuration, apply a Zobel and Voila a really nice sounding little set of speakers!

I still use them on my headboard in the bedroom. Sometimes you have to think outyside of the box and if you're not building speakers for someone else, it is you whom the design must please. The stuff that I have built are to "MY EARS" the greatest sounding speakers ever built.:D

alexkerhead
10-08-2006, 07:22 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12267

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12522 Did you happen to take a peak at my location?:(

I am waiting for my score day however.
I keep dreaming about a paragon in a basement at a garage sale. Or at least a set of olympus. or even a set of 4311s would be cool.

Zilch
10-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Did you happen to take a peak at my location? :(Found some Studio Series in Madison on the Huntsville Craigslist.... ;)

They're down there. You gotta get creative about finding them, is all.... :thmbsup:

Titanium Dome
10-08-2006, 11:00 PM
(snip)

That's fine, if you want, but don't expect the setup to produce any semblance of accuracy, linearity, or imaging.
(snip)

[A touchy subject.... ;) ]

Isn't it louder though? :rotfl:

OK, I'm not making fun of anyone (really, honestly, trust me, I'm not), but I am making a point. Accuracy, linearity, and imaging were secondary concerns (if at all) for many young buyers of L100s. Many reviews of the time weren't that concerend with these either. I recall Rolling Stone citing a midrange that could "knock you on your ass" as one of the finest qualities of the L100, not accuracy or linearity.

The set ups I had in my college dorm never took into consideration anything other than how to blast my Deep Purple albums to the farthest reaches of the dorm. Oh, and how to blow out matches.

I've got two pairs of original L100s (in line drivers), and sometimes I stack 'em tweet to tweet. Yes, I stack 'em. :slink:

Hello, my name is TD, and I'm a stacker.

When I crank 'em, they're loud, just like rock'n'roll. I've been to a half dozen Deep Purple concerts, and even though I can see the spatial arrangement of musicians on stage, it all comes out as a chest crunching hammer of sound. It's just loud, and mixed up and distorted and almost incoherent--and that's just bitchin'!

I have never, not once in my life, expected my L100s to be any of the things we normally want from a speaker. That's why I can love them unconditionally. That's why I can stack 'em and not worry about any of those things. That's why I keep 'em, because I know there's no other speaker that can do for me what those little ba$+@rds can do.

alexkerhead
10-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Well said TD:)

Although I don't listen to much rock music(please dont slap me) I do listen to a lot of stuff that requires some what accurate speakers, and these do a decent job, if EQ'ed right. But like TD said, they can just get flippin loud.

Zilche, you'd be suprised at how good my stacks can soundstage.
Close your eyes and you can tell where averything/one is at. No joke.
I don't exactly want loud music, I made sure they sound good too. Remember I talked with you in my intro thread about getting the EQ just right?
Your info wasn't passed by, I did all the adjustments you recommended and checked all phasing. Thanks.

I will say the L100s are much more accurate than my large advents though.

Zilch
10-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Hello, my name is TD, and I'm a stacker.Yeah, and you also rated L100s 5 outta 5 as I recall. :applaud:

Seems every time I go through this, people think I'm tellin' others what to do.

I don't give a whistler's whit what anybody does with their L100s.

However, I DO think it's important that people understand what they are (and what they are NOT,) and what they're doing with them.

I'm here to share, is all.... :p

Titanium Dome
10-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah, and you also rated L100s 5 outta 5 as I recall. :applaud:

Seems every time I go through this, people think I'm tellin' others what to do.

I don't give a whistler's whit what anybody does with their L100s.

However, I DO think it's important that people understand what they are (and what they are NOT,) and what they're doing with them.

I'm here to share, is all.... :p

Don't misquote me. I rated them a 5.5 out of five. :p

JBLnsince1959
10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Hello, my name is TD, and I'm a stacker.

the first step to recovery is admitting your illness..:D

I have a very complicated system that I have developed over some 50 years when dealing with where to put speakers and it works every time.

I put the F**KERS where I want and enjoy the music and dance around....and yes, I'm a recovering stacker too..in fact I think there's a meeting tomorrow night...

Zilch
10-09-2006, 03:30 PM
"Drawn across the plainland
To the place that is higher
Drawn into the circle
That dances round the fire
We spit into out hands
And breathe across the palms
Raising them up high
Held open to the sun...."

[Peter Gabriel - "The Rhythm of the Heat"]

loach71
10-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Drawn into the circle
We spit into out hands
Raising them up high

Zilch - you surprise me! A tech-head such as yourself waxing poetically...:applaud: :applaud:

Titanium Dome
10-09-2006, 10:43 PM
(snip)

I have a very complicated system that I have developed over some 50 years when dealing with where to put speakers and it works every time.

I put the F**KERS where I want and enjoy the music and dance around....and yes, I'm a recovering stacker too..in fact I think there's a meeting tomorrow night...

Ain't it the truth! :rotfl: I think if most of us were totally honest, we'd admit that placement is more about form than function in the real world of dual purpose rooms.

Luckily, a few of us get to put function over form in our "special rooms." In my case, I can put the speakers where I need to for the best sound in the dungeon, e.g. my semi-subterranean garage—that is after I move the cars out. It is by far the best room in the house.

Titanium Dome
10-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Drawn into the circle
We spit into out hands
Raising them up high

And then he sang

Self-conscious, uncertain
I'm showered with the dust
The spirit enter into me
And I submit to trust

That's how all stackers feel once they let go. :bouncy: :spin:

Good lyric selection, Zilch. It's a great punta del cappello to end this topic. :yes:

alexkerhead
10-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Hey everyone, go check out my stereo rack pics please.
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12581 (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12581)

Zilch
10-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Maybe LATER.

Can't you see we're dancin' 'round the friggin' FIRE here right now?

[SHEESH! Some PEOPLE.... :banghead: ]