PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Nova-4 refoam job.

alexkerhead
10-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Whatcha think about the refoam job?:o:

Storm
10-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Very nice, congratulations!

How do they sound?

I bet my Altecs could kick their butts! ;)

alexkerhead
10-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Very nice, congratulations!

How do they sound?

I bet my Altecs could kick their butts! ;)
My old L36 decades kick their butts.:D

Bob Womack
10-02-2006, 01:56 PM
I always liked those grilles!

duaneage
10-07-2006, 06:30 PM
For what they are you'd be surprised how good they sound. Weems profiled them in a pocket book he published through Radio Shack and I built a pair in high school. The Mid-tweeter was quite good and they had very accurate bass.

alexkerhead
10-11-2006, 03:04 PM
For what they are you'd be surprised how good they sound. Weems profiled them in a pocket book he published through Radio Shack and I built a pair in high school. The Mid-tweeter was quite good and they had very accurate bass. I whole heartedly agree.
These thing sound amazing for what they are.
I would go as far to say they sound a little more natural than my advents.
Comparable to a L26 I think.
I owned a set of L26s a while back, and these Novas may even have better bass, but it was a while back, wish I still had them.
I am keeping these Novas for sure.
The port was a great idea. Most small speakers are infinite baffled, and sound a bit cramped, these sound very open to me, and on a Marantz 2216B, they open up VERY nicely.

Yes, I have one Marantz receiver per set of speakers I own..lol

Stock L100s have a 2270
Modded L100s have a 2265B
Pioneer CS-77As have a 1530
Advents have a 2220B
Realistic Nova-4s have a 2216B

JBLROCKS
10-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Nice!:D

These are from an era when even radioshack made good stuff :applaud:

andy11
10-24-2006, 08:37 PM
A friend of mine has those same speakers. I was thinking to myself how crappy they would sound (kinda looks like they belong in a church or my grandma's house or something)... until he fired them up. :blink: I'm glad I kept my mouth shut about them. Needless to say, I've never been so surprised about a set of speakers before.

alexkerhead
10-24-2006, 09:21 PM
A friend of mine has those same speakers. I was thinking to myself how crappy they would sound (kinda looks like they belong in a church or my grandma's house or something)... until he fired them up. :blink: I'm glad I kept my mouth shut about them. Needless to say, I've never been so surprised about a set of speakers before. Indeed, that was my reaction as well!
I was expecting PC speakers like noise and distortion to pour out of them, but with the right receiver the bass can actually be felt in the chest at near field.:blink:

They handle wattage better than expected as well.
They love a good, clean 20wpc receiver.

LOL, my third cousin(who gave them to me) used them as organ speakers.:p

Definetely a sleeper speaker.
They look a lot better if you flip the grilles over, but I left mine stock because I am obsessive compulsive.:(
The little logos even turn in any direction without having to remove them.

dat521gatherer
11-10-2006, 12:33 AM
great job looks awsome. ive owned many nova and optimus speakers and i dont care what anyone says there great speakers. especially those early 80's mystery foams that don't seem to rot. wood grills are what first got me started with the sansui's. i cant tell if those are plastic but if they are i wonder if they ever came in wood? the pair i want to find are the optimus 4's straight up and down wood grills with padded tops. dont know if the tops were custom or original though.i wish i still had my mach's.