PDA

View Full Version : Veneering?

PaulB
10-01-2006, 08:20 AM
I have to say that I do love my "new" S412's but... I can't take the vinyl(?) woodgrain faux black ash cabs. I'm a well experienced, well equipped carpenter with more than a dash of electronics experience thrown in but I have to say I've never done much veneering and I'm a tad queesy at he idea of taking a putty knife/pry bar to these speakers (they seem very mysteriously assembled).

Do I recall seeing a thread here where someone veneered existing cabinets? And/or has anyone here disassembled anything from this series that might have some suggestions where to start?

Thanks in advance for any pointers...

PaulB

Mr. Widget
10-01-2006, 11:35 AM
So we know what you are dealing with... I guess these are what you have but with black vinyl instead of this light colored stuff?

Can all of the plastic bits (driver trim rings and the two rectangular panels) be removed?

It appears that there are radii on the edges of the baffle so you will likely want to use paper backed flexible veneer. It is usually the best type of veneer to use over completed cabinets even if the panels are flat... traditional veneer can be difficult on anything that won't fit in a proper veneer press or a vacuum bag.

I like this supplier: http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/index.html

Good Luck with the project... and keep us posted!

Widget

PaulB
10-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Very similar Mr G, but not quite the same. The front panel is actually chamfered and I don't have the "inset" plastic feet. One of the questions really is whether the "plastic bits" can be removed without damage. I'm really thinking that it might be easier to simply build new cabs out of really good quality veneered ply or MDF, rather than trying to miter all that vener (I really don't like to see the edges). Wonder if there's any way to get blueprints of the cabinets? Any ideas?

PaulB

duaneage
10-01-2006, 08:09 PM
I would build new cabinets. You can measure the cabs physically and electrically to see what the volumes are. It is actually possible to measure the volume of the cabs with the speaker if you are technically inclined. I measured a control1 the other day by plugging the port and determining the closed box resonance of the system. Since I knew what the driver specs were i was able to exactly measure how big those odd cabinets are.

Answer was 122 cubic inches.