PDA

View Full Version : Noticeable differences JBL Control Series - wire gauge

JBL 4645
09-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Noticeable differences between the modifications of changing the cable from the thinner cable over to a thicker for bass mid on the JBL control 5, and testing it with a sine wave at 12” first, as it is and then with the modification and testing it with the same sine wave in the same position 12” there should be a “noticeable differences” in SPL db level right?

This is something that I would like to try out to see if the modification is doable and feasible. Any thoughts I have spoken to one member about this and it seams possible.:)

Zilch
09-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Go ahead and try it and report your results.

It will be an interesting study in the "placebo" effect. ;)

JBL 4645
09-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Zilch

Thank you:)

Ok, I’ll pop around to a friends, and ask if I can borrow the soldering iron the solder sucker and a small hobby drill has I would, well I'm slowly thinking about drilling a slightly wider hole to allow a thicker cable to pass though the hole or, I could just attach it to a smaller piece of wire the original piece and make a good connection for the rest of the thicker cable to travel to the bass mid driver.

There is one paramount issue; I can’t afford to damage the passive X over network!;)

LowPhreak
10-01-2006, 01:20 AM
Don't know what it would do for the Control 5, but I replaced the stock stuff in my 4412's with solid-core/Teflon (a la Thiel), Ag solder, and WBT posts and deem it good. Not the larger guage but the better copper and dielectric of the wire & posts are the improvements I would say.

I'm sure that better x-o parts and bypassing the tone pots will make a much greater difference. I'll do that eventually.