PDA

View Full Version : Old Generation 5234 UpGrade/Rebuild ?

Earl K
12-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Hi All

(i) Is it worth trying to upgrade the sonics of the first generation model 5234 - electronic crossover ?

(ii) If so , what areas are most effective in a component swap ? Is this a job of replacing cap type and/or bypassing the present caps ? What about the IC(s) and/or transistors ? Any recommended types or brand names ?

(iii) As an addendum - can the present 12 db cards , be stripped of their present components, and then converted to LR slopes ( or maybe Bessel ) with replacement RC(s) of appropriate values ?

- If so, is there a RC deriving formula (vs whats in the 5234 manual for Butterworth slopes) for determining the resistor and capacitor values for the LR or Bessel slopes ?

Thanks <> Earl K :)

- ( I did a search on this but couldn't find the sort of information that I'm after )

subwoof
12-03-2003, 05:58 PM
hey there...

replace the 4.7uf ( I think that's the size ) coupling caps - they are junk.

You can change the opamps to the low noise types but watch the pinouts....:)

To change the filter type is a LOT more than just changing RC values...it wouldn't be easy. the points around the opamp are not terminated on the card terminals to do that.

I would also install the 2142 transmitter chips to convert them to balanced if using this with amps that are so equipped - then floating the ground at the amplifier end drops the noise floor.

Other than that, not much else can be done. there are only 2 opamp stages...HOWEVER the additional filters provided in the 5234A are very handy for box compensation and HPF - I would recommend those mods.

sub

Earl K
12-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks !