PDA

View Full Version : Altec Valencias are home

Rex Everything
09-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Finally. My first set of big vintage speakers. I feal like a true LH member now.

I just got home, unloaded and snapped a few photos of my new pride and joy, a pair of Altec Valencia 846B's.:applaud: These cabs are loaded w/ original 416-8A's, 806-8A Driver, 811B horns and N800 X-overs.

I can't wait to get these all hooked up tomorrow and try em out in my room. Pics are not great but I was in a hurry :)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/ampegmang/valencia1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/ampegmang/valencia2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/ampegmang/valencia3.jpg

Storm
09-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the club!

I have a pair like yours, only in birch.

Just hooked up a Yamaha EQ-550 Equalizer and I love these speakers even more than I did before.

I would suggest getting an equalizer, these big boys can get harsh and it will clean up the high ends.

May I ask how much did you pay and from where?

I purchased mine for $900.00 about 8 months ago. Best money I have EVER spent!

Sidenote: I picked up a pair of Hales Design Concept Two speakers and I put them next to these and the Altecs kicked their butts! And, those speakers are supposed to be high end - $2750.00 a pair in 1997. Good thing I am going to flip them, :).

Pictures of my beloved pair are below.

:applaud:

Zilch
09-28-2006, 10:38 PM
What's the height to the centerline of the horn?

Every time I see pics of those, I can't help but think the bass might be improved if they were elevated off the floor a bit more, on a taller plinth foot.

I'd have them up on furniture dollies, probably. The stock Grainger (and other industrial suppliers) hardwood ones would raise them 5-1/2".

Worth a try, maybe.

Congratulations on your new acquisition!! :thmbsup:

Storm
09-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Found these 19" inch steel legs in the trash pile. They sit on a wood platform. I put the speakers on them and they look great! Not to mention, the bass is greatly improved, much more tamed.

I would advise anyone with a pair of 846's to raise them off the floor, but if you like the "Thud" bass, then I would not recommend it. I like bass, but not like the kind that some teenagers use in their cars these days.

I prefer natural bass.

Oops, the lava lamp looks trippy. The camera moved, sorry about that.

:D

Gary L
09-29-2006, 04:53 AM
Do a little experimenting Storm! Think you will find the bass improves greatly by bringing them down to between 6-8" off the floor.

I did such experiments and even with my 19s, the bass improves with just a little lift but you start to loose if you go too high. There has to be some coupeling with the floor to get the best sound but not directly on the floor as Zilch suggests.

An easy experiment to try is to prop a 2x4 under the front and tilt them back just that much and then listen at about ten feet away.
I settled with a 6" platform under my Vals and no tilt seemed to sound best in my room.

Gary

sonofagun
09-29-2006, 05:48 AM
For a complete restoration I make original Valencia design foam grilles - $150/pair + shipping.

Zilch
09-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi, Storm!

Those sure LOOK cool, don't they?

I'm guessing they have moved the horn centerline too high, tho. You want them at ear level when seated for listening.

You've also moved them into the corners, apparently, which is giving bass reinforcement through the boundary effect.

One reason I like the furniture dolly approach is that it allows me to easily move the speakers around to try different locations....

Rex Everything
09-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay in reply but I been spending all the time I'm not at work listening the the Valencias and loving life.

Listening now. Be back later :D

Storm
10-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Bought 8 concrete 8x8x8's tonight at Lowes for $1.28 a piece.

Lifted the speakers 8" inches and wow, what a difference it makes. The horns are much more aligned and ear level.

Pictures below, let me know what you think.

:applaud: