PDA

View Full Version : Un-Mount Olympus

Chef Henry
09-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Does anybody know a secret for removing the horn and driver assembly from an S7R Olympus cabinet without unbolting the driver? After removing the 4 bolts that attach it to the front baffle, the whole assembly can be moved back almost, but not quite enough to roll it off the brace it sits on. If the cabinet was no more than 1/8" deeper, or the horn and driver assembly 1/8" shorter . . .

Since posting this question and receiving no response on the Vintage Asylum, I have succeeded in removing the slightly recalcitrant bolts without marring the beautiful finish by means of an open-ended wrench.

Even with the bolts removed and a little gentle encouragement with a thin bladed screw driver, however, I have not succeeded in separating the horn from the driver. How is this best accomplished?

Zilch
09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
There's a coated paperboard gasket between the horn and the driver that has become stuck over time.

A little "thunking" around against the brace has always separated them for me. Use a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer, if you have to.

If you want an approach with more finesse, it's a bare utility knife blade tapped into the joint as a wedge, but that's a difficult space for working delicately....