PDA

View Full Version : CD horn high-pass EQ ?

Tom Loizeaux
09-27-2006, 05:31 PM
I think I read something here in the Forum recently about how to build a high pass filter for a driver mounted on a constant directivity horn. The high pass network allowed for a rapidly rising high end that compensated for the CD characteristics.
I've search these threads but haven't found that posting.
Can anyone help find it OR tell me about how to choose the componants to do this?
Thanks,

Tom

Robh3606
09-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Could you tell us the horns??? You have to remember that what the networks are doing is attenuating the midrange response. Some of the bypass's can actually boost the level but only in the last octave or so.

Rob:)

Tom Loizeaux
09-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Could you tell us the horns??? ...

I'm looking at the Parts Express # 270-095 horn to be used with an Eminence PSD 2002S, Peavey 22XT, or JBL 2412 driver.
This horn is a CD design, but will fit in my cabinets. Can I build a high pass that will help restore a somewhat flat response with these standard drivers?

Tom

Robh3606
09-27-2006, 07:42 PM
You mean this guy here??

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=270-095&ctab=14#Tabs

They don't tell you all that much. Looks like a 2370 so if you assume the same or similar patern 90X50 it will self EQ on axis quite a bit. You may not need much more than a bandpass and possibly a low value cap in series across the attenuator to help on the top end. I could not find any info like dispersion patern, directivity curve, polar response and cut-off. That dispersion patern, directivity will give you an idea of how much EQ you may need. Ideally you should have a plot without compensation but it's simply not there.