PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Forum Membership Stats

Titanium Dome
09-24-2006, 04:08 PM
If this is in the wrong place, a moderator can move it to the correct location.

As of today, there are 3,556 members who have not posted since January 1, 2005.

Titanium Dome
09-24-2006, 04:10 PM
I was surprised to learn that if I change the query, the number who have not posted since January 1, 2006 is even larger. It is 4,143.

For some reason, I expected it to be smaller. However, expectations aside, logic would indicate that the number of persons who join but never post or post only one or two times will increase as time goes by.

Titanium Dome
09-24-2006, 04:15 PM
When we go forward another six months to June 30, 2006, the number is 4,680 members who have not posted since that time.

Zilch
09-24-2006, 04:24 PM
That makes perfect sense.

The number that have not posted since yesterday would be larger, not smaller....

Titanium Dome
09-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Today 5,236 members are registered, so approximately 89% of members did not post in the previous six months. However, 422 of the 1,950 who joined in the previous 9.5 months* posted in the six months prior to today, or 21.6%.

On January 1, 2006, 3,033 members were registered, 2,441 of whom did not post in the previous six months. So approximately 80% of members did not post. However, 265 of the 2,120 who joined in the previous year posted in the six months prior to to January 1, 2006 or 12.5%

On January 1, 2005, 1,190 members were registered, 671 of whom did not post in the previous six months. So appoximately 56% of members did not post. However, 90 of the 682 who joined in the previous year posted in the six months prior to January 1, 2005 or 13%.

On balance, it appears there is more activity among members who joined during that last nine months than has been traditional in the past. These numbers are all generated through the site's own search engine, and are subject to the usual caveats.

If the numbers are accurate, then they represent a forum that is healthier and more diverse than ever. The numbers also indicate a huge amount of dead wood in the membership database and an accelerating membership rate.

*It is after all only September.

Thom
09-24-2006, 06:33 PM
I've got a theory on why some don't, but I've already expressed it.

mikebake
09-24-2006, 06:48 PM
If this is in the wrong place, a moderator can move it to the correct location.

As of today, there are 3,556 members who have not posted since January 1, 2005.
Strange, that is the same day I told the forum how the AudioKarma forum is superior..............hmmmmm.

Robh3606
09-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Strange, that is the same day I told the forum how the AudioKarma forum is superior..............hmmmmm.

Geeezz What did you have to go and do that for:banghead:

Rob:nanana:

spkrman57
09-24-2006, 08:03 PM
And he can't help it!

Ron

(occasional poster):p

Don McRitchie
09-24-2006, 08:04 PM
I've been casually monitoring this for as long as we have had a forum. The following are the conclusions I have reached. There are only around 200 members that read or post to the forum on a regular basis for over a year or longer. At any given time, there are only around 300 posters that are active. Those over and above the regulars are transients that come in with a specific issue, get what they are looking for and eventually leave. This latter number is always changing so that eventually it builds up to the 5000 plus registrations that we currently have. Even the 200 regulars are not constant. After a year or two, some of them move on, and to replace them, new ones move in that become regulars. The number of regulars is constantly increasing, but the rate is slow.

There has been some talk of weeding out those that have not posted in a year or more. I don't want to do this. Doing so would eliminate their posts and greatly diminish the value of this forum as an archive. Further, even after long absences, many do come back for some period of time to become one of the transients once again. I don't want to eliminate the opportunity for this.

This kind of breakdown in terms of percentages is common for most every forum on the web. It's the nature of the beast.

Lawrence HF
09-25-2006, 07:44 PM
I look in here almost every day and pick up information that helps with this hobby. If I had something to say that would be of help to someone I would post it. I greatly enjoy reading the posts and have met 2 members so far. Very grateful this web-site exists.

jack_bouska
09-26-2006, 12:02 AM
The following are the conclusions I have reached. There are only around 200 members that read or post to the forum on a regular basis for over a year or longer. At any given time, there are only around 300 posters that are active. .

An interesting exercise is to open the members list, and sort on number of posts.

Mr Widget has more posts than the forum has members! (Zilch is a close second)

I personally don't even make it on to page 10, so I am stuck on page 11, with 35 measly posts.

There are 304 members with at least 35 posts, (naturally I chose my own statistic as the cut-off), making the percentage 304/5242 = 5.8%

The magic number for 10% is somewhere on page 18, with 14 posts.

So of the 5242 members:

0.4% have posted more than 1000 times

1% have posted more than 380 times

6% have posted more than 35 times,

10% have posted more than 14 times

30% have posted at least twice (the avatars are getting few and far between by page 53)

39% have posted at least once (page 69)

Meaning that more than 60% of the membership have never posted.

So, if your reading this, and you are among the 70% who have never posted, or posted only once, then get out your keyboard and start skewing these statistics!

Jack

Ian Mackenzie
09-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Jack,

Of interest is that five of the top ten posters are administrators/Moderators. The eleventh ranked poster has less than half the number (1500 posts) of the top five posters. Three of which are Moderators/adminstrators.

Whatever way you stack the numbers Moderators posts dominate the forums but they might well still be the top posters even without a Moderator Cap!

It would be interesting to compare these statistics to other forums.

As you say only 0.4% of the membership posts are greater than 1000. I would like to see more people post more often and I think that trend is starting to happen for whatever reason.

Of a more humorous note a look behind the scenes at some of these top posters. Here the faces of our Lansing Mafia.

From the top, the colorful Mr Widget looks after the Western Frontier, a master craftsman with an eye for all things fine and beautiful.

Ol Tin Ear the "Bitch" Putnam, our Minion and Treasurer. Poet of phrase and master of syntax. Knob farming behind a Venice Spirit Live desk is his favourite past.

Robert H. The Goldfather looks after everything East of the Hudson on the Coast. One system is not enough for this tinkerer, he has to have three diy JBLs. Loves Sail boats and will never say no to a Pub crawl!

Last, the Boys with their toys and an unidentified quiet visitor (not wearing that shirt!), a legacy to the Lansing Heritage.

Robh3606
09-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Hello Ian

You have to remember too that we were all here since the beginning of this Forum and have lots of posts in Project May. Most of my posts were before we had moderators. I wonder what my post count would be if it went all the way back to the original Forums. That was what? 06/01/2001 when I signed into the guestbook. Geez time flies!!!!

Rob:)

Ian Mackenzie
09-26-2006, 05:34 AM
Hello Ian

. Geez time flies!!!!

Apparently!

So was Earl , and he's way down the list while Mr. Widget has lapped Zilch over 1000 posts. I thought that to be impossible 12 months ago.

But can you pull the number of posts in the last 12 months?

Titanium Dome
09-26-2006, 09:04 AM
(snip)
Of a more humorous note a look behind the scenes at some of these top posters. Here the faces of our Lansing Mafia.

From the top, the colorful Mr Widget looks after the Western Frontier, a master craftsman with an eye for all things fine and beautiful.

Ol Tin Ear the "Bitch" Putnam, our Minion and Treasurer. Poet of phrase and master of syntax. Knob farming behind a Venice Spirit Live desk is his favourite past.

Robert H. The Goldfather looks after everything East of the Hudson on the Coast. One system is not enough for this tinkerer, he has to have three diy JBLs. Loves Sail boats and will never say no to a Pub crawl!

(snip)

Great album, Ian. :yes:

It's interesting that member posting positions 7 through 9 have no avatars. John, Scott, Earl, w'up?

Methinks I see a gauntlet there. Anyone ready to throw it down?

Zilch
09-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Mr. Widget has lapped Zilch over 1000 posts.The counts are quite obviously bogus.... ;)

Ian Mackenzie
09-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Zich,

Speaking of avatars

Time for a self portrait in those new threads I sent you!

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
09-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Dome,

Speaking of Pub crawls

The funny thing is when he's had a few he wants to "fire" everyone.

We started off in Midtown about 11am, it was great and ended up in Times Square at night. I would encourage regional Lansing Pub crawls, we had a lot of laugh's and yes there is life and there are real people on the end of our posts.

boputnam
09-26-2006, 02:08 PM
I wonder what my post count would be if it went all the way back to the original Forums. That was what? 06/01/2001 when I signed into the guestbook. Geez time flies!!!!The data should be parsed by years of membership, too. That might make more sense of it all. And true, the pre-2003 data is gone...

Ian Mackenzie
09-26-2006, 02:22 PM
True Knob Farmer,

Unfortunately the data does not tell us who are the most frequent posters by date or time period.

Don McRitchie
09-26-2006, 02:31 PM
And true, the pre-2003 data is gone...

It's not lost, since I still have the files. The problem is that someone would have to recreate the threads from individual posts since the indexes are gone. For those too new to remember, this is actually the 5th forum we've had on the site. The first three used a really primitive threaded forum software package that seemed to fail every time we reached around 3000 posts. It failed three times between May 2000 and June 2002, meaning that around 9000 total posts were made using that system. I then moved to a commercial forum package called Gossamer Threads in June 2002 until our then ISP shut us down in March 2003 saying that package used too many resources. That forum had about 9000 posts in it. In April 2003, John Nebel made the extremely generous offer host us using his ISP service at no charge. That allowed the move to Vbulletin which has been functioning ever since. In the three or so years of using Vbulletin, nearly 120,000 posts have been made. For those keeping track, the score is: first three years - 18,000 posts, next three years - 120,000 posts. We've grown a fair bit..

scott fitlin
09-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Great album, Ian. :yes:

It's interesting that member posting positions 7 through 9 have no avatars. John, Scott, Earl, w'up?

Methinks I see a gauntlet there. Anyone ready to throw it down?I need to take a pic of a bumper car, that will be MY avatar!

But, wow, been talking JBL/Altec for four years going on five! And things have changed alot in the last few years!

:D

scott fitlin
09-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Hey Ti, got me an avatar now!

Hows that?

spkrman57
09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
And yes, that is my garage.

Need to get rid of many cabinets yet.....too bad most of them are just good enough for starter projects.

Ron:blink:

Zilch
09-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Way cool, Scott.

Noobs'll want to know what kind of JBL speaker that is.

You can "play" them for weeks.

[We won't tell.... :D ]

Robh3606
09-26-2006, 05:15 PM
You can "play" them for weeks.

Yeah! We can tell them it's a special 60th Aniversery surround sound chair with and all kinds of magic stuff. Lets see 7 channels, stereo subs, 1500 watts of built in power and a 100 disk CD player and a projector for a head light. All you needs a screen. Scott you have a bumper car with a single headlight???

scott fitlin
09-26-2006, 05:51 PM
No, the older cars have auto style headlights, two per front of car, and two in rear. The car in my avatar is the new cars, and those are LED headlights. They are cool because they put out alot of light with very little power, and they last a long time. The old style with bulbs are a PITA!

When you see the speakers in here, there is NO mistake about where you are at! Its kind of like driving around inside the nightclub, massive speaker stacks.

This coming spring, I decided I will open up with a rack full of Bryston, and I may go all QSC on subs. And some new lighting effects to go with the sound as well.

As soon as I can, meaning figure out " How To ", I will post pics of the place on the Eldorado thread! I will probably post pics of my shop, and my big Snap On Roll Cab tool chest too. I am very proud of what I do, and the tools that I use, and all that mechanical stuff. Im as into tools as I am audio!

:bouncy:

Titanium Dome
09-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Dome,

Speaking of Pub crawls

The funny thing is when he's had a few he wants to "fire" everyone.

We started off in Midtown about 11am, it was great and ended up in Times Square at night. I would encourage regional Lansing Pub crawls, we had a lot of laugh's and yes there is life and there are real people on the end of our posts.

Regional crawls definitely. I've crawled (out of) a lot of places, but the best crawls are in England. I did the Rickmansworth Crawl north of London with a bunch of footballers, seven pubs in two blocks. We ended up at a Pakistani Curry House around 2 AM, alternately slurping curry and barfing in our beers.

Maybe we can find bars with JBLs in them here in SoCal for a commemorative tour. :cheers:

Titanium Dome
09-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Hey Ti, got me an avatar now!

Hows that?

In my best Mr. Burns, "Ex-cellent!"

Titanium Dome
09-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Of course some of the original post counts for members are lost, but since the inception of the April 2003 forum, things are pretty intact.

Once or twice I've been referred to as a "post whore," but is that really deserved? Looking at the top ten, a different picture emerges. The three columns are screen name, posts per day average, and join date.

Titanium Dome
09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
That is the sound of inevitability...

Up-and-comer edgewound is on the fast track among posters with 700 or more posts. He's averaging 3.02 a day and gaining fast. :drive:

Titanium Dome
09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
The mere volume of posts doesn't translate to a direct contribution to the forums. I've had a few members take me to task for posts on JBL products they don't respect. I don't think either of us lost any sleep over it, but it points out that value can be relative.

Some of us post a lot of "humor" and some of us get lots of opinion posts in as well. However, the new (2005) forum structure really opens up the discussions on Lansing Heritage and related information, so it appears there is an increase in posting all 'round.

Zilch
09-27-2006, 02:18 PM
It's the "Canoe," dood.... :spin:

Rolf
09-28-2006, 12:04 AM
100, 500, 1000, 5000 posts! OK by me. :) Post as much at you want. I would like to see more members posting.:bouncy:

It must be others, not just the "few" that has something on their mind??:blink: And, ... I can't believe the is possible to be "shy" here??:baby: If one say something wrong or bad, there is not so hard to admit and say "sorry" or "OK, I was wrong"? Is it?:blink:

Let's just move ahead. After all we have a lot of fun here, :) right?

Titanium Dome
09-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Sometimes the idea of removing members who've never posted or removing members who haven't posted/visited for a certain length of time is brought up. As far as I can tell, the only negative to keeping them is that their avatars clog up the daily birthday list with names we don't recognize.

OTOH, I feel it should be "once a member, always a member," unless one does something to get kicked out or specifically asks to be removed. Even then, the posts should remain; otherwise entire threads would become nonsensical.

I also think that once you "give" something to the site, it "belongs" to the site. You've got 24 hours to delete it, then after that, it stays (unless removed by a moderator).

Rolf
09-30-2006, 10:30 PM
I partly agree with you TI. Maybe there is a way to "store" members not posting "behind the scene", so they don't show up in the number of members and in the birthday line?:blink: