PDA

View Full Version : Welding Help

QwertyAccess
09-24-2006, 12:14 PM
I have a 035Ti that doesnt work because the copper wire right near the voice coil is broken. I have no idea how to weld this, any tips on how i can weld together the two reallly thin copper wire's around the voice coil together? It would have been no problem but i believe theres a thin barely seeable jacket around the copper wire.

Any suggestions on tools and equipment and how i might be able to complete the connections would be greatly appreciated. Or might someone know a place I could go to near my area, or orange county area that might be able to do this for me? Thanks!

Zilch
09-24-2006, 01:42 PM
It's soldering, actually, and it can be done. The wire has an enamel coating as insulation, which must be scraped off for the solder to bond to the copper.

It's delicate work, then, with a small tip on a soldering iron. I believe Titanium Dome and Toddalin who are both near you, have done this before, and may be able to help. Drop them a PM, maybe....

toddalin
09-24-2006, 04:23 PM
I have a 035Ti that doesnt work because the copper wire right near the voice coil is broken. I have no idea how to weld this, any tips on how i can weld together the two reallly thin copper wire's around the voice coil together? It would have been no problem but i believe theres a thin barely seeable jacket around the copper wire.

Any suggestions on tools and equipment and how i might be able to complete the connections would be greatly appreciated. Or might someone know a place I could go to near my area, or orange county area that might be able to do this for me? Thanks!

When I solder wires that has a coating, I use a little fine sand paper to remove the insulation. The wires are then easily soldered.

I'm in Cowan Heights (hills above Santa Ana/Tustin) if you want a second set of eyes on it.

Todd

QwertyAccess
09-25-2006, 08:46 PM
I could imagine it not being the best way, but my dad wants to uncoil some of the wire thats wrapped around the coil, in order to have a bit of space to work with the wire, think there would be any problem with that idea?