PDA

View Full Version : JBL 2245 driver vs A.L. 3182 Driver

Kwikas
09-24-2006, 04:59 AM
Can anyone provide me with the relative merits on each of these drivers? I have an opportunity to by either as want to make up a couple of cabinets for subs (single driver in each). Which one would you choose and why? Thanks.

speakerdave
09-24-2006, 09:46 AM
I would choose the 2245 because:

--It is available new for about $900/pair.

--Although it has been around for about twenty years it is still probably SOTA for 18" subwoofer drivers for home use.

--Greg Timbers, who I believe designed it, published an article in Audio magazine showing how to make the best use of it. The article is availabe here on the LH website.

--I have the 2245 in my 4345's, and it is a very, very good woofer.

--I don't know anything about that Altec woofer and don't know anyone who does.

David

Kwikas
09-25-2006, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the reply David. Much appreciated.

The 2245 it is.......

louped garouv
09-25-2006, 07:34 AM
not to detract form the quality and general desirability of the JBLs...
if you want to find info on that Altec driver, maybe you could pop into the ALtec board....

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/forum/f/3729

hificanada
10-19-2009, 02:55 PM
I would choose the 2245 because:

--It is available new for about $900/pair.

--Although it has been around for about twenty years it is still probably SOTA for 18" subwoofer drivers for home use.

--Greg Timbers, who I believe designed it, published an article in Audio magazine showing how to make the best use of it. The article is availabe here on the LH website.

--I have the 2245 in my 4345's, and it is a very, very good woofer.

--I don't know anything about that Altec woofer and don't know anyone who does.

David

I paid $850 for the 2245H in 1985, and $450 for a recone in 1997,here in Canada, I presume that 2245 and the 2245H are the same speaker.

speakerdave
10-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I paid $850 for the 2245H in 1985, and $450 for a recone in 1997,here in Canada, I presume that 2245 and the 2245H are the same speaker.

Canadian dollars I assume, which have come closer to parity these days, but in those days were discounted by more than 30%. I took a vacation with friends in the late 90's to Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Prince Rupert, Jasper, Lake Louise via air, water, train and rental, and then to Calgary for a plane home. " . . .yes, but it's Canadian dollars," became a refrain that is still a joke amongst us at times. I still relish the spring rolls and the caribou steak at the Parker House Hotel and the port and Cuban cigars in the smoking room afterwards. May do that again some time.

baldrick
10-23-2009, 06:34 AM
I've had both and in fact I did prefer the sound of the 3182. (This could be due to the fact that the 2245 was reconed with aftermarket kit)

The 3182 is a killer woofer but it needs a HUGE box, I had the original 8182 box and it's enormous (more than double the size of what 2245 needs). The other downsides of the 3182 is that it's "impossible" to get new surrounds and also more and more difficult to get recone kit, the 2245 will also take more power and play louder.

Anyway, both are great woofers but even though I did prefer the sound of the 3182 I would have bought 2245 because of the smaller box and availability of parts.

BMWCCA
10-23-2009, 07:18 AM
These statements seem to be in contradiction! ;)

I've had both and in fact I did prefer the sound of the 3182. (This could be due to the fact that the 2245 was reconed with aftermarket kit)

Anyway, both are great woofers but even though I did prefer the sound of the 3182 I would have bought 2245 because of the smaller box and availability of parts.

hificanada
11-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Canadian dollars I assume, which have come closer to parity these days, but in those days were discounted by more than 30%. I took a vacation with friends in the late 90's to Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Prince Rupert, Jasper, Lake Louise via air, water, train and rental, and then to Calgary for a plane home. " . . .yes, but it's Canadian dollars," became a refrain that is still a joke amongst us at times. I still relish the spring rolls and the caribou steak at the Parker House Hotel and the port and Cuban cigars in the smoking room afterwards. May do that again some time.

Been in Calgary, went by train "The Canadian" from Ontario to Calgary were my kids live in the winter of 2001,the train stopped in Soux lookout, it was -52d celsus, my noise frooze together instantly. Extension cords at every parking lot is the normal, you plug it in, if you have a car and plan on not using it for two hours.
Back to the Canadian dollar, it's a bit more even with the U.S., so I bought some things on E-bay, the JBL,L7 spare speakers and a 2245 surround kit, as you will see a picture of this on the 2245H foam ring post, but notice, on the bottle it say's "Do Not Let Freeze", if you live in Soux look out or Calgary,Edmonton, -45 C is normal, so no one in those areas can order this produce in the winter.