PDA

View Full Version : Altec 515A

quindecima
09-23-2006, 03:15 PM
What is it about these speakers that makes 3 bidders run them up to 1850.00 on Epay???????????????? :blink: :blink:

Gary L
09-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Asked another way, What is it about bidders that makes these speakers worth $1850 or way more?

Think we are in an area here where very little musical difference can be gotten for very many more dollars.

For my money, at 1/5th of the price, I think a 416 is every bit as nice sounding. Just my opinion ofcourse but there would have to be a substantial sonic difference to warrant this expense.
I never fault a guy for spending his money for what it is he wants. I just don't get involved when the stakes reach Champagne prices with my Beer wallet.
To my ears, none of the above matters.

Gary

Steve Schell
09-25-2006, 10:04 AM
I think the market for first generation 515s is driven, like with many old speakers, by a combination of their performance characteristics and their scarcity. These woofers, with their paper edge cones and phenolic spiders, do not have much low bass but an articulate and toe-tapping mid bass. This sound is in line with preferences that are commonly found in Asia.

Most of the surviving 515s either have dilapidated cones or have been reconed. Correctly made replacement cones have not been available since Hawley shut down about twenty years ago. So, when some 515s come along with mint looking original cones there is fierce bidding for them. Some of these bidders are wealthy guys with a passion for audio, so even $1,850 is like lunch money for them.