PDA

View Full Version : capacitor values gone

Rafael
09-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Gentlemen:

As I wrote in a former thread, I bought a pair of LX 5 networks. Measuring the capacitor values, all capacitors have other (higher) values as in the schematic. For example, the series cap in the hp filter is about 23 microfarads instead of the 16,5 value in the schematic. Since I have another pair of LX 5´s I measured these values and they were very close to the schematic. All caps were never changed because they are still hidden in the tar-like filling. Can it be that the caps changed their values (I believed this is only the case with electrolytics or paper-in-oil caps) or were the LX 5´s modified for certain speaker combinations ? Since I´m totally confused any help would be nice.

Thanks in advance,

Rafael

duaneage
09-23-2006, 05:36 AM
If tehy measured high then they are bad obvioulsy. Fortunately better replacements are available

Thom
09-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Serious question: do they go high as they go bad? I was under the impression that the value would drop or more likely, the dielectric would break down and they would leak (electricly) or does that fool some cap testers. The catseye (a relative of the crt) testers of old could put serious voltage on them, in some ways it was better than some of todays (certainly not the best) testers. This is a question not a challenge (shouldn't have to spell that out but I'm learning to be careful) so please react accordingly.

duaneage
09-30-2006, 12:11 PM
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on what value a capacitor attains when it fails. High or lw it doesn't really matter if they are more than 10% out of where they should be. Again, capacitors are not expensive so it's easy to fix the situation