PDA

View Full Version : JBL C-37

Rex Everything
09-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Hi All,

I'm new here and I have a question about JBL c-37 speakers. I have found a set close by but can not find much info on the web on them. Also what are they worth as the seller is"looking for offers, already have 12(offers)" How do these compare w/ the Altec Valencias?

Here is a pic

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/ampegmang/pic.jpg

According to the seller everything is original and nothing has been reconed or tampered with. Here is some info I recieved from the seller

"Vintage JBL C-37 console reflex speakers for sale..Im the second owner,purchased some 2 decades ago.These are original factory JBL C-37 cabinets in excellent condition with original grills and metal tag logos..Loaded with D130 grey frames /175 black frame horns /075 black frame tweeters /N1200 blueframe crossovers and 3000 series crossovers(sorry cant remember the #s its been too many years since they been opened)..ALL RED SEALS INTACT/no recones etc etc etc."

Thoughts and info would be appreciated

Thom
09-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Have no Idea of value but sounds like was bought as 030 system and upgraded and the crossover for the 075 should have been changed and wasn't. C37 would refer to the cabinet hopefuly someone more experienced in buying, selling, trading can advise you as to it's value. That was a very common way to get into Jbl at one time. Buy the d130, buy the 075 at another date and then save up for the 175 dlh perhaps my memory fails me and something was done that raised the 075 crossing point but I think you had to buy a n7000. Some people felt that if your funds were limited it was better to buy a speaker that reproduced whai it could accuratly rather than buy a speaker that played a fuller range poorley.
The D130 which we almost for sure see peaking through the grill cloth have no foam and to imagine them still playing with no work 50 years from now is no leap of faith. If there is nothing wrong with them I wouldn't let a reconer into the neighbor hood. If your not used to them, they don't go real deep but an Ipod could play them loud and they have dynamic range, they have life They are what was the JBL sound.

John
09-22-2006, 08:33 PM
If someone offered any thing around $600 it would be a very good offer I would think!!!:blah:

By the way sounds like those are yours and you are looking for free info and then we never hear from you again;)

Rex Everything
09-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Have no Idea of value but sounds like was bought as 030 system and upgraded and the crossover for the 075 should have been changed and wasn't. C37 would refer to the cabinet hopefuly someone more experienced in buying, selling, trading can advise you as to it's value. That was a very common way to get into Jbl at one time. Buy the d130, buy the 075 at another date and then save up for the 175 dlh perhaps my memory fails me and something was done that raised the 075 crossing point but I think you had to buy a n7000. Some people felt that if your funds were limited it was better to buy a speaker that reproduced whai it could accuratly rather than buy a speaker that played a fuller range poorley.
The D130 which we almost for sure see peaking through the grill cloth have no foam and to imagine them still playing with no work 50 years from now is no leap of faith. If there is nothing wrong with them I wouldn't let a reconer into the neighbor hood. If your not used to them, they don't go real deep but an Ipod could play them loud and they have dynamic range, they have life They are what was the JBL sound.

Thanks for the info. I am new to the vintage audio thang and appreciate the help

Rex Everything
09-22-2006, 08:50 PM
If someone offered any thing around $600 it would be a very good offer I would think!!!:blah:

By the way sounds like those are yours and you are looking for free info and then we never hear from you again;)

Thanks for your price quote but why all the attitude? IS this how you greet all the new members?

JBL Dog
09-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi All,

I'm new here and I have a question about JBL c-37 speakers. I have found a set close by but can not find much info on the web on them. Also what are they worth as the seller is"looking for offers, already have 12(offers)" How do these compare w/ the Altec Valencias?

Here is a pic

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/ampegmang/pic.jpg

According to the seller everything is original and nothing has been reconed or tampered with. Here is some info I recieved from the seller

"Vintage JBL C-37 console reflex speakers for sale..Im the second owner,purchased some 2 decades ago.These are original factory JBL C-37 cabinets in excellent condition with original grills and metal tag logos..Loaded with D130 grey frames /175 black frame horns /075 black frame tweeters /N1200 blueframe crossovers and 3000 series crossovers(sorry cant remember the #s its been too many years since they been opened)..ALL RED SEALS INTACT/no recones etc etc etc."

Thoughts and info would be appreciated

I e-mailed the guy (they are listed on the local Craigslist).

The seller comes across like he has no idea what these are worth. He knows exactly what the market value is on these things. Yeah, well, I made a reasonable "sight-unseen", negotiable offer. He responds with the N1200's alone are worth $500. Really? Since when?

Then I see the pics. It looks like a cat has been spraying the bottom of the speaker grilles for 40+ years. Not the same cat, of course! He's been playing dumb about the fact there's grille damage.... "gee, I never noticed". Yeah, I know, and your wife's a retired super-model.

All those C37's are worth is what the parts will fetch. Roughly $1,500 if sold separately, assuming average condition. The value of the cabinets is somewhat diminished because the baffle on both cabinets has been augmented to accept an additional driver (the attempt at mirror-imaging looks a little funky). His attitude tells me he's looking for $2,500.00+. Good Luck!

Rex Everything
09-22-2006, 09:55 PM
I e-mailed the guy.

The seller comes across like he has no idea what these are worth. He knows exactly what the market value is on these things. Yeah, well, I made a reasonable "sight-unseen", negotiable offer. He responds with the N1200's alone are worth $500. Really? Since when?

Then I see the pics. It looks like a cat has been spraying the bottom of the speaker grilles for 40+ years. Not the same cat, of course! He's been playing dumb about the fact there's grille damage.... "gee, I never noticed". Yeah, I know, and your wife's a retired super-model.

All those C37's are worth is what the parts will fetch. Roughly $1,500 if sold separately, assuming average condition. The value of the cabinets is somewhat diminished because the baffle on both cabinets has been augmented to accept an additional driver (the attempt at mirror-imaging looks a little funky). His attitude tells me he's looking for $2,500.00+. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. I got the same fealing about it you did. I thought if I could get em cheap I would. I offered him less than you did :) . I'm sure I won't get a reply.

Thom
09-22-2006, 10:34 PM
truth is they would sound better in a c40 or even better a c34

BMWCCA
09-22-2006, 10:39 PM
The value of the cabinets is somewhat diminished because the baffle on both cabinets has been augmented to accept an additional driver (the attempt at mirror-imaging looks a little funky).I'm sure you have access to better pictures than the one posted here, but I have a C37 with the 030 system (coincidentally purchased in St. Louis, new) that has the extra hole to fit the DL175H built-in and covered with an oddly-shaped 4-sided baffle plug from the factory. I know because I had to opportunity to add a 175 to the C37 nearly forty years ago. Just curious about what your comment meant. Thanks. And, yeah, it was obvious to me from the posted comments that the owner knows exactly what he has, even if his idea of their value is inflated. Some of the other stuff he mentions would be nice to see and have, too:
I also have the original JBL factory catalog,2 JBL factory cabinet manuals,a JBL factory warranty card and 2 dealer JBL handoutsheets that came from the past owner

JBL Dog
09-22-2006, 10:42 PM
truth is they would sound better in a c40 or even better a c34

That and, IMHO, the C37 is least desireable of the C34 through C40 vintage cabinets.

JBL Dog
09-22-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm sure you have access to better pictures than the one posted here, but I have a C37 with the 030 system (coincidentally purchased in St. Louis, new) that has the extra hole to fit the DL175H built-in and covered with an oddly-shaped 4-sided baffle plug from the factory. I know because I had to opportunity to add a 175 to the C37 nearly forty years ago. Just curious about what your comment meant. Thanks. And, yeah, it was obvious to me from the posted comments that the owner knows exactly what he has, even if his idea of their value is inflated. Some of the other stuff he mentions would be nice to see and have, too:

Does the grille cloth on your C37's attach directly to the baffle? Or, is the grille cloth attached to a frame that slides in from the bottom of the cabinet?

I have a pair of C37's from around 1956. There's only one knockout to mount a high frequency driver (175/075) and it on the right side when facing the speaker. JBL may have gone with the "mirror-image" knockouts in the C37 sometime in the early 1960's. I know that is the case with the mid-to-late 60's version of the C38. The C37's that are the subject of this thread were not designed for mirror-imaging of the components. Someone added an 075/3105 at some point in time. The only factory issued 3-way in a C37 was an S18 component package (LE15A, 175DLH, 075, Lx5 and N7000)

BMWCCA
09-22-2006, 11:23 PM
That and, IMHO, the C37 is least desireable of the C34 through C40 vintage cabinets.
Why do you say that? Just too big for most folk? My C37 has the black slide-out grille cloth on metal frame and the mirror-image baffle board.

Oddly, here they're listed as in Indiana?! http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-C-37console-reflex-speakers-w-paperwork_W0QQitemZ230031687659

I've never seen the 030 in a Harkness. Lot's of 001 (D130A/LE175DLH,N1200), but not the 030. In fact it's not listed that way on JBL's recommended application chart. Was it just because the folded horn cabinets were so expensive that the reflex systems were considered the entry-level?

John
09-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Thanks for your price quote but why all the attitude? IS this how you greet all the new members?

Hope I did not offend you, but I have seen quite a few guys come and go on the forum looking for info to make a quick buck by posing as a potential buyer but really they are just here for self promotion and then gone.:(

I figure if that is the sole motive then just list it on ebay and find out.:blink:

If you are really here to learn and contribute as you find your way around the would of jbl and audio well then disregard my rant and welcome.:applaud:

Rex Everything
09-23-2006, 04:21 AM
Why do you say that? Just too big for most folk? My C37 has the black slide-out grille cloth on metal frame and the mirror-image baffle board.

Oddly, here they're listed as in Indiana?! http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-C-37console-reflex-speakers-w-paperwork_W0QQitemZ230031687659

I've never seen the 030 in a Harkness. Lot's of 001 (D130A/LE175DLH,N1200), but not the 030. In fact it's not listed that way on JBL's recommended application chart. Was it just because the folded horn cabinets were so expensive that the reflex systems were considered the entry-level?

Seller told me he was in Lawrence County Illinois wich is right on the Illinois/Indiana border

Rex Everything
09-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Hope I did not offend you, but I have seen quite a few guys come and go on the forum looking for info to make a quick buck by posing as a potential buyer but really they are just here for self promotion and then gone.:(

I figure if that is the sole motive then just list it on ebay and find out.:blink:

If you are really here to learn and contribute as you find your way around the would of jbl and audio well then disregard my rant and welcome.:applaud:

*Comment disregarded*

I'm here to stay :) . In the world of guitar I have been a huge fan of the Altec Lansing speakers for years.

I just bought my first vintage receiver(Sansui G-8700DB) and hope to be bringing home by this time next week a pair of Altec Valencias that I have money down on right now.

I'll be asking lots of questions as I learn.

JBL Dog
09-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Why do you say that? Just too big for most folk?

Just my personal opinion. BTW, I picked up a single C40 a few years ago for parts. It was loaded with an 030 system. I keep the N2600 and 075. The D130 is now in Australia and the cabinet found a new home with a forum member.

BMWCCA
09-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Just curious if you felt the folded horn produced more/better/lower bass response or what. "Better" is so, well, subjective. I've never had the chance to compare the 001/030/C40/C37 but I would certainly think of all the cabinets available, the smaller cubes would produce the least attractive sound with the D130/A, compared to the larger rectangular cabinets, simply by virtue of cabinet volume. Then I'm usually wrong on things I know nothing about.

toddalin
09-23-2006, 11:43 AM
He responds with the N1200's alone are worth $500. Really? Since when?

I have three N1200s and I'll take half of that for all three!:rotfl:

Thom
09-23-2006, 03:47 PM
The horns are much tighter than the reflex. If you really love an LE15A you won't appreciate it but I'll guarantee you that the D130 in a folded horn was the JBL sound. At altec they used a horn to make the system more effecient at JBL they took that masterpiece of a speaker and put it in an enclosure where the rear of the loudspeaker drove a horn that became effective at 150hz where the speaker was probably beginning to fade in the c 34 it may have been usuable to 40 hz. depends where you place the speaker and depends on how you define "usable" in a C55 (D55, 4520 ) it was nothing short of awsome (my friend had a paragon with 6 cu ft and a passive added behind each woofer in a 500 sq ft room he built just for that and his mouth dropped open when he heard them) The horn also kept cone movement to a minimum which cut back on doppler distortion. In 73 most JBL purests didn't want to talk about an LE15A and they sure didn't want to listen to a sloppy passive radiator they considered that to be JBL catering and felt the old man would be turning in his grave. Personally I think the horns are the greatest but there is material below there, Although if your talking c55's with special jbl ampex theater woofers there isn't much. They probably could use help from a sub but I'll bet blending it in wouldn't be easy. I just thought I'd let you know that there were JBL fanatics who very strongly felt that JBL had taken a wrong turn long before some of your favorite systems were concieved.
In 73 JBL had quit making amps but the largest they had made was 60 W chnl. In 70 the largest amp Mac made was 105 W. (2205 and 2300 werent out yet. Most people probably played there Lansings with Stereo 70's or 120's or something smaller maybe Marantz or citation (give Sidney his) so the speakers had to be efficient. Here is a sight devoted to JBL, and people who complain because JBL changed. JBL changed before they built what you like. The D130 is JBL. The LE15A is JBL saying if you can't beat them. join them. I wish JBL would build the speaker I have (one only) It's not nearly as old as I always thought it was because it has a cast magnet assy. The only JBL 15 inch I've ever seen with the 27 lb magnet structure from the 375, now I can say JBL doesn't make them like they used to. If you ever get a chance to be part of salvaging an upscale movie palace built mid 50's don't miss it. Anyway don't knock a JBL horn setup until you've heard one set up right and make sure someone didn't change some of the dimensions to make it fit on a sheet of plywood easier. If you make a horn don't make it out of mdf. It's already to heavy in plywood and mdf doesnt take to well to being dropped and anything that heavy will be dropped.

With the same driver I think the horn is definetly better. Against different drivers in a different enclosure you are exactly right it is too subjective. The horn is much tighter and I would say more accurate but you will never get to 20hz. For dynamic range, you probably have a 10 db lead. And look what walls of sound are made of. The supplement the bottom with LE15A's or such or today 18 inch but whay you see hundreds of is D130 or derivative what fender put in his cabs was D130 what bass players played was a version (D140) of D140.

JBL Dog
09-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Now we've figured out what his ask is. Good Luck!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1164161565

pen_man
09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Like a lot of you guys here, I buy a fair amount of gear. Some of it I keep, other pieces I sell when I feel I have upgraded. Based on my experience in buying gear, this guy is real shifty. I have emailed him a few times. He plays dumb except when it is too his advantage, then he becomes a self-proclaimed JBL expert. He is lying in the weeds looking for a sucker who will mess up and pay him 5-10X what they are really worth. In addition, I think he enjoys the gamesmanship of his negotiating tactics. My advice is to let him keep them.

JBL Dog
09-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Like a lot of you guys here, I buy a fair amount of gear. Some of it I keep, other pieces I sell when I feel I have upgraded. Based on my experience in buying gear, this guy is real shifty. I have emailed him a few times. He plays dumb except when it is too his advantage, then he becomes a self-proclaimed JBL expert. He is lying in the weeds looking for a sucker who will mess up and pay him 5-10X what they are really worth. In addition, I think he enjoys the gamesmanship of his negotiating tactics. My advice is to let him keep them.

Exactly. He's very arrogant and cocky. As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't have anything that special. Nowhere near his $4,200 OBO on Audiogon. For that knid of money you should be getting a mint condition S8(R) system.

I hope the seller and his C37's enjoy their golden years together.

:cheers:

Rex Everything
09-27-2006, 04:51 PM
No suprise he turned down my $250 offer :applaud:

I could get two sets of all alnico A7's for that kinda money. Like I told him in my last email Good Luck.

JBL Dog
12-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Me thinks he was bidding on his own auction. Look for them to appear on eBay down the road. I can assure you he won't be parting with them for $1,025.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230069245005&rd=1&rd=1

:applaud:

He's been trying to move these for over 3 months. Couldn't happen to a nicer jerk!