PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Project

JBLROCKS
09-21-2006, 08:22 PM
I have seen many FABULOUS refinishing/re-veneering projects posted here over the last couple of years. Now it is time to post mine.
I came across an old pair of speakers Nearly Free on Craisglist with minor water damage on the top.

Here is my question: How can I bleach out the water stains without killing the veneer? It is in great shape except for the water damage. I would really like to use a light stain as I have done another pair and they turned out great!

My other option is that I may experiment with a "Piano" finish with a black stain that lets the grain show through and a high gloss finish.

I would truly appreciate any input!!

I will post pictures as the project progresses.

Right now they are freshly sanded

JBLROCKS
09-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Pictures are as follows:
First is previos refinish project.
Second is before sanding.
Third is after sanding.

Sorry if they are a bit blurry...Still expreiminting with camera

HipoFutura
09-23-2006, 05:30 AM
I, as well, am interested to know if there is a method of removing water stains. If not, one option would be to re-veneer the cabinets. Just veneer over the existing veneer. The downside to this is that the cabinet would be a fraction taller and wider than the grille. Of course you could re-veneer the grille as well. All that being said, the best method would be to remove the water stain.

Don

Thom
09-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Have minor experience with JBL cabinets, before some members were born. Since I have trouble just remembering yesterday, accept advice with care. It's real wood vaneer, and thicker than is usually used today, so it will take some sanding with very fine paper. White marks from forgetting to use a coaster can be removed in minutes with toothpast a rag and a bit of sweat. Indentations can be raised by laying a wet rag on the bad spot for a few minutes and if needed sanding it even afterwards. When finished rub with danish oil. All of this applies to oiled finnishes only, except that the toothpast trick will work on white marks on varnished finishes. I don't know if these are the best ways but we used them on inventory in the store. If there is too much oil for water to soak in and swell the wood, sometimes you can swell it with oil. Homer Formbe must know a lot more tricks than that, that is probably every thing that I know about wood.

Gary L
09-25-2006, 03:44 PM
I am not sure if this works on all wood but have used it many times on Oak. Oxcylic acid, commonly refered to as wood bleach, does a very nice job removing stains from oak. I have never used it on other varieties so you are on your own with what appears to be Walnut.
I found it works best in the sun and I have used it many times on Oak veneer with no adverse effects.
Think I would remove any wax or oil first with mineral spirits and allow it to dry completely before trying the bleach.

I have used the toothpaste with not such great results. Could be a particular brand works better then the crest I used.

I have completely removed these exact stains on oak furniture with the wood bleach in two applications with complete dry time in between.

It appears your camera is set to get many photos on a disc rather then to get fine resolution photos and fewer of them.
If you figure out how to get more resolution, Ie; Fine, then you might have this licked.

Gary

jaybird
09-26-2006, 03:57 AM
Sheffied 2 part wood bleach in a kit you can get at any good paint store warks really good on walnut.

Gary L
09-26-2006, 04:44 AM
Sheffied 2 part wood bleach in a kit you can get at any good paint store warks really good on walnut.

Thats the stuff, not sure of spelling but it is oxcylic acid, wear gloves, do it outside and in the sun and follow directions on the box.
I figured it would be fine on most woods but I have only ever used it on Oak.

Gary

JBLROCKS
09-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all the input!!:D :applaud:

I really do not want to re-veneer then, nor kill the veneer that is there, so I decided to do a real dark finsh.

Just this evening I have applied one coat of ebony stain, rubbed most off so the grain peeks through. Looking great! Will post pictures.

Next step I will apply several coats of clear poly with light sanding in between.

I think these are going to turn out great!!

Thanks again for the input!!
Much appreciated!

JBLROCKS
09-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Here are some pictures of the progress...

JBLROCKS
10-08-2006, 08:19 PM
10-08

Almost done!!
All that is left to be done is one last coat of poly and poilsh!
Total of 6 coats of stain wipe-on poly with steel wooling in between.
Grain looks a mile deep!!!!:D :D :D

Working on getting better camera to take better pictures as present camera does NO justice.

Next I am going to do my second pair to match!

Thanks again for all the input!

westend
10-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I've done a bit of wood bleaching. The Oxcalic (sp?) acid is the way to go. It removes water marks, mold, and mildew stain. The cheapest source I've found for it is Zep brand, "Deck and Fence" cleaner, sold at many Home Depot stores. It has a high concentration of the acid and also a butyl based cleaner. Woods I've used it on are:redwood, oak, pine, cedar, ash, and walnut. I don't know what type of glue was used for the JBL veneers so caution should be used if the glue is water-based, not to so saturate the veneer so that the under-lying glue would dissolve. I don't think it's an issue. Prudence should allow that the veneer should not be completely soaked.

tbcyberzom
01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
i need to put a new surround on my 8" woofer from jbl l5 i bought a surround from ebay but its slightly bigger? i need help ...is my jbl l5 woofers are 8 inchs?