PDA

View Full Version : Altec Model 14 advice

newcent
09-21-2006, 08:58 AM
I just put my Altec model 14's into service, and they sound wonderful! I am powering them with Kavent Class A monoblock amps straight from China with grand results. While my high frequencies are shimmering and clear, and the mid bass is spectacular, they appear slighly muddy in the midrange. I am wondering if it would help to have the crossover's rebuilt, or the internal wiring of the speakers upgraded. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

Gary L
09-22-2006, 03:58 AM
I don't remember if 14s sounded lacking when new so its a tuff call to direct you on the XO rebuild. I do think you could be on the right track since the caps are now close to 30 years old.
As for upgrading the internal wires, I say little would be realized! I have not heard a good wire yet! Altec used perfectly fine wire back in the day.

You might give a shot of cleaner in the Lpad pot and work the dial back and forth to see if there is some oxidation issues in them.
Another thought and I am not sure it is worthwhile or necessary is to have the magnets recharged. Others here might have better info in this regard.

Good luck and they are a very nice speaker and worth making right.

Gary

speakerdave
09-24-2006, 09:58 AM
. . . . Another thought and I am not sure it is worthwhile or necessary is to have the magnets recharged. Others here might have better info in this regard.

Having the magnets recharged is a worthwhile consideration. Greg Timbers has posted that JBL found the smaller woofers with smaller voice coils and Alnico magnets were more subject to flux degradation than the larger ones. Of course the issue here is whether a past owner has pounded them hard with a big amp, and there is probably no way of knowing the answer to that.

As Gary suggests, I would start by replacing the capacitors in the crossover.

David