PDA

View Full Version : JBL L-110 vs. JBL L-112

LARM
09-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Hello,

I am just getting into vintage audio equipment. I purchased a vintage Marantz 2215B receiver a week ago and have it hooked up to my JBL L-40's. It sounds wonderful, but I'm thinking I might need more of a kick in the speaker department.

The stereo exchange near me has a set of JBL L-110's in good shape for $399, and he also has a pair of L-112's in perfect shape (owned by a guy who bought them in Okinawa and didn't use much) for $499.

I am going to have one of these pairs hooked up to the Marantz 2215B and a Harmon Kardon T-60 with a new Grado cartridge.

Which do you think is best for me? Do the L-112's justify the $100 difference? Are the L-110's a steal at $400?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

edgewound
09-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Hello,

I am just getting into vintage audio equipment. I purchased a vintage Marantz 2215B receiver a week ago and have it hooked up to my JBL L-40's. It sounds wonderful, but I'm thinking I might need more of a kick in the speaker department.

The stereo exchange near me has a set of JBL L-110's in good shape for $399, and he also has a pair of L-112's in perfect shape (owned by a guy who bought them in Okinawa and didn't use much) for $499.

I am going to have one of these pairs hooked up to the Marantz 2215B and a Harmon Kardon T-60 with a new Grado cartridge.

Which do you think is best for me? Do the L-112's justify the $100 difference? Are the L-110's a steal at $400?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

They're both marvelous speakers. One caveat is that tweeter diaphragms are currently no longer available for either model.

The kicker will be to decide if you can part with the extra $100. The perfect L112's would be my choice...but they're both nice.

LARM
09-20-2006, 11:59 AM
They're both marvelous speakers. One caveat is that tweeter diaphragms are currently no longer available for either model.

The kicker will be to decide if you can part with the extra $100. The perfect L112's would be my choice...but they're both nice.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the L-112's. I think I might as well spend as much as I can now and only have to buy a pair of speakers once.

Do you know of anyone who sells L-112 stands or DIY/custom stands? If not, I will put them on my wooden end tables for now.

BMWCCA
09-20-2006, 12:13 PM
As the original owner of a pair of L112s let me say that if the ones you're looking at are "perfect" because they haven't been played much, you might want to consider the possibility of having to re-surround them fairly quickly. Perhaps you can play them loud with heavy bass while in the shop that currently owns them and see if any cracks have started. It seems the twenty-year mark is more critical than how or how often they are played.

edgewound
09-20-2006, 12:52 PM
As the original owner of a pair of L112s let me say that if the ones you're looking at are "perfect" because they haven't been played much, you might want to consider the possibility of having to re-surround them fairly quickly. Perhaps you can play them loud with heavy bass while in the shop that currently owns them and see if any cracks have started. It seems the twenty-year mark is more critical than how or how often they are played.

Very good point that relates to both models in question.

DavidF
09-20-2006, 05:54 PM
I think I am following with Edgewound in that it may come down to which of the systems have drivers in the best shape. If allowed I would pull out the woofers (not so easy to do with some and the shop will likely balk) to look at the spiders, see if they are reasonable flat or not otherwise distorted. Check the tweeter output levels to see if they seem equally loud in each system, no flakiness on the L112 domes that might suggest that they are losing the aluminum coating. As for the mids these are less of a concern. The effects of time and use are are not as pronounced and rebuild parts are still around.

If both seem to be in good shape, see if you can listen to both a/b. It might seem that the L112 has more bass than the L110 but give that some time. The L112 may sound a little heavier in the bass especially if they are set up near the walls or floor, or worse, both. Listen to the timbre of the bass to compare the sound quality, not the volume. The woofer in the L110 is a very nice unit in the JBL family. Good solid bass and great midrange performance. The L112 woofer may go lower and thump louder but may not be better in terms of overall sound. The high end of the L112 may seem a little more forward, clear, with more detail. It should by design of the tweeter and network. If it is still a push, the L112 will go louder and looks great without grills. The L110 will still make some volume, is wonderfully balanced in response, but not as heavy-handed below 100Hz. The L110 may even be a better match for the Marantz on the top end.

Sounds like a great investment either way.

DavidF

LARM
09-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the help. I got the L112's. They are completely mint. Barely used, but just in case...completely refurbished. The grilles still have the stickers/tags on the backs. They sound big and full and really clear. And look gorgeous too. I'm going to move them out from under my cheap DIY shelf once I find/make stands for them. Anyone know of any diagrams for building a stand to hold an L-112? Or any stands for sale that fit?

http://ragebox.com/junkyard/stereo.jpeg

Rusnzha
09-21-2006, 08:01 PM
I think these would do it!

rockecat
09-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks Rusnzha , I have been wanting to replace the stands I lost many years ago. Now I just need a carpenter.:applaud:

BMWCCA
09-21-2006, 09:22 PM
I think these would do it!
Those are tooooo beautiful! Great job. I don't suppose you'd consider marketing those beauties, would you? Quite the labor of love, I'm sure.

Rusnzha
09-22-2006, 02:04 PM
You give me way too much credit. I found those someplace on Lansing Heritage a long time ago and saved them. It was easier to upload from my documents than to find where they were and send a link.

BMWCCA
09-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Well, I suppose it'd be easier with a bandsaw and a table saw but I can probably do it with a chop saw and a jig saw. I'll go shop for wood tomorrow. Haven't done any woodburning a few decades so they may have to remain unbadged!

Rusnzha
09-22-2006, 08:11 PM
I bet they will sound good especially if the room is carpeted.