PDA

View Full Version : Urei Theater

UreiCollector
01-12-2006, 09:12 PM
I have made some progress on the basement, and thought I would share with everyone who has posted on this thread. I'm anticipating late April to complete the theater. I hope you all enjoy the picture. :D
The front right and left are 56deg apart, and the rear channels will be at 105deg to each side. All horns are centered at 48 inches above the subfloor, and the screen will be perforated.

QwertyAccess
01-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Wow:jawdrop:

glen
01-13-2006, 01:22 AM
That's an awesome picture man!

And it's going to be an awesome room!
Please keep us informed of your progress,
preferably with lots of pictures!

John
01-13-2006, 12:34 PM
You might want to make sure all of your duct work is damped??? Or you will regret it later.:(

4313B
01-13-2006, 12:36 PM
You might want to make sure all of your duct work is dampedCoat it with aquaplas.

Oldmics
01-13-2006, 01:25 PM
A woofer with bite.

Nice doggie !!!

Oldmics

UreiCollector
04-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Things are moving along everyone! I hope to be finished by end of May. Enjoy the pic, and I'll post more soon!:D

glen
04-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Enjoy the pic, and I'll post more soon!:D

Take some pics with the grills off too, you know we like to see them speakers nekkid!

UreiCollector
04-13-2006, 10:17 AM
I'll do that for sure. I'm ashamed of myself for posting the previous pics with the grilles on. :banghead:

I won't make the same mistake twice.

:barf: :barf: :barf:

See you soon!

UreiCollector
09-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Everyone,

I have been negligent in posting, and I'm sure many want to see the results of my effort. I'm not quite finished yet, but the Urei's have been moved to their new home, and I couldn't wait to share. Enjoy!

I'll be cutting the wood for the 2242H's this week, so hopefully the bottom holes will be filled before long.

Things will look better once the holes are filled, and the trim is up. More to come......

Frederick:bouncy:

Mr. Widget
09-19-2006, 05:51 PM
This looks like a fantastic project... you'll have to invite us all over once it is finished!

Widget

mikebake
09-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Most attractive and nicely done. We'll be right over.

Bob Womack
09-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Geez, you make me look like an amateur... :D

Bob

boputnam
09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
What happened to my little buddy - "he" has not featured in the update photos...:(

doodlebug
09-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Now that I've gotten my 813s up and running, I can imagine what that's going to sound like. What are you running for power to them?

Cheers,

David

UreiCollector
09-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Amps:
L, R, C, pair of Hafler DH220
R, L Surround Hafler XL280
2242H's Hafler DH500

Sources:
Sony TA-E9000ES Processor
Sony DVP 9000ES
Outlaw ICBM Bass Manager
Home Brew subsonic filter using Burr-Brown op amps (to protect my 2242's)
DVDO iSCAN HD+ for Video Scaling

:) Frederick

UreiCollector
09-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Now that I've gotten my 813s up and running, I can imagine what that's going to sound like. What are you running for power to them?

Cheers,

David

David,

I would like to add, soffit mounting the Urei's made a HUGE differance in the transient response. The system has much more "punch" to it now, and the low end is incredibly smooth (no boomy bass). If it is an option, I would highly recommend mounting your Urei's in soffits, I was not prepared for the improvement, absolutely amazing! :)

Frederick

doodlebug
09-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Understand about the soffits, Fredrick. They were clearly designed with that assumption/requirement.

I've just moved back into a house where I'll end up setting up the garage for use as a 'romper room'. Right now, the UREI's are on furniture mover's wheels and will stay like that for a while. Yes, there's a bit of booming in the bass but the midrange presentation is all there. I posted a picture of the current setup the other day somewhere on these forums.

I *could* almost set up a smaller version of your theater in there, using the 809s for rear speakers and the set of JBL 4425s for a middle, I suppose. Nah.....I'm just into 2-channel right now. Maybe someday.:blah:

The other problem I have here in Santa Cruz is that the houses are on 40' x 80' lots. Houses are close together as a result and I can already hear the 813s out on the street through the garage door. Can't imagine what a full theater setup would do for the neighbors' entertainment.

One interesting thing I discovered re: light bulbs in the UREI's. The tweeter bulbs in the crossover are GE-81s. They're the same bulbs as found in old Volkswagen dashboard lights - the old 6V versions from the 60s, that is. Was able to locate them at a local VW restoration outfit. The other 6V bulbs for the woofers I found at a local lighting fixture company after digging around in their old boxes. They had *lots* of them.

For the large spade connectors on the back, I used Thomas and Betts L35-B2 copper terminal lugs, available at Home Depot. These allowed me to use its clamping system while making a solid connection to the speaker.

Cheers,

David

Ken Pachkowsky
09-20-2006, 08:37 PM
David,

I would like to add, soffit mounting the Urei's made a HUGE differance in the transient response. The system has much more "punch" to it now, and the low end is incredibly smooth (no boomy bass). If it is an option, I would highly recommend mounting your Urei's in soffits, I was not prepared for the improvement, absolutely amazing! :)

Frederick

Nice to hear.....I'm told by Westlake I can expect the same when I get into the new house......:applaud:

Ken

UreiCollector
09-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I *could* almost set up a smaller version of your theater in there, using the 809s for rear speakers and the set of JBL 4425s for a middle, I suppose. Nah.....I'm just into 2-channel right now. Maybe someday.:blah:

Nothing wrong with 2 channel....most can't get that right, and going multi-ch without getting 2 channel right, is just wrong. ;)

The room may look bigger than it really is. It's only 19.5 ft deep, and 14 ft wide. You may have more room than you think.

I did see the pics of your Urei's. Definately nice.

I have the wood cut now for the 2242's, hopefully I'll get them somewhat together this weekend.

Frederick

Bob Womack
09-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Here's a pic of my 811Cs when I first got 'em home and hooked them up for a test drive. I love my UREIs. I was first exposed to them at the '83 Audio Engineering Society Convention in NY. I'm doing up a page to describe how and why I managed to bring home these old friends after mixing on 813Cs for twenty years and this particular pair of 811Cs for ten years. I've also started a page showing the pics of UreiCollector's rig, just to show that I'm not exactly batty in loving these things, at least by comparison... :D I could point you to the pages if you are interested.

By the way, UreiCollector, I'd love to hear your observations comparing the 811As to the 811Cs, as well as comparisons of the 813A and B series. :)

Bob

PS, Interestingly, my 811Cs replaced a pair of Audio Techniques Big Reds in '92 and our 813Cs replaced a pair of Altec 19s in '86.

UreiCollector
09-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Gee those look nice! I like the sound of the C's a lot....my impression is that they have more attack in the midrange, but I have not listened to them in the same room as the A's (or B's) for that matter. So it could be all room effect.

I sure hope you found some nice soffits for those 811's to live in. :)

Bob Womack
09-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Actually, they are living against a wall. The bass response of our soffitted 813s is smoother than the subwoofed 811Cs, but I think the subwoofers actually extend the low end a little further on my home set.

Bob

JBL 4645
09-26-2006, 08:54 AM
WOW! Awesomely speechless! Out of this world!:applaud:

The Baffle wall is the way to do it!

Like the THX professional baffle wall, the front of the wall is covered with sound absorbent material to stop the high frequencies bouncing of the perforated screen, otherwise, the result will be a very bright sound, this also helps for intelligible dialogue.

northwood
09-27-2006, 05:19 PM
great fisheye pic

UreiCollector
09-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Still making progress, but still a way to go.......:D

Everyone seems to like the fisheye shots, so here you go. :)

UreiCollector
10-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Wanted to post pics of the subwoofers, they are almost finished! They will be outfitted with 2242H's.

Hopefully I don't break the house.

grumpy
10-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Great setup. Those sub cabs look nicely finished. Can't see bracing details, but
it's hard to over do it in a large sub box. -grumpy

spkrman57
10-12-2006, 10:16 AM
I'll bet the sound will be dynamic as hell once completed!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Ron

UreiCollector
10-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Just wanted to share another photo! These subs sure do make some incredible low end....now I just need to finish them.....oh, and put some trim around those Urei's. :)

mikebake
10-15-2006, 02:54 PM
What are the speakers behind the Ureis?
Here's a pic of my 811Cs when I first got 'em home and hooked them up for a test drive. I love my UREIs. I was first exposed to them at the '83 Audio Engineering Society Convention in NY. I'm doing up a page to describe how and why I managed to bring home these old friends after mixing on 813Cs for twenty years and this particular pair of 811Cs for ten years. I've also started a page showing the pics of UreiCollector's rig, just to show that I'm not exactly batty in loving these things, at least by comparison... :D I could point you to the pages if you are interested.

By the way, UreiCollector, I'd love to hear your observations comparing the 811As to the 811Cs, as well as comparisons of the 813A and B series. :)

Bob

PS, Interestingly, my 811Cs replaced a pair of Audio Techniques Big Reds in '92 and our 813Cs replaced a pair of Altec 19s in '86.

Bob Womack
10-16-2006, 05:03 AM
They are Boston Acoustics A150s, great acoustic suspension stereo speakers.

Guido
10-16-2006, 02:42 PM
This is just unbelievable!
AWESOME!

UreiCollector
11-29-2006, 08:37 AM
The 2242H's rock the house! Literally. I'll be adding trim to the Urei's soon. Enjoy the pics!

I'd be interested in seeing photos of any other HT systems using the Urei's.

John
11-29-2006, 02:59 PM
What screen and projecter are you using???:bouncy:

UreiCollector
11-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Screen is a motorized Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Perf 106"
Projector is a Panasonic PT-AE900U, driven by a DVDO iScan HD+ scalar

clmrt
11-30-2006, 02:55 PM
How about EQ for the center to counter the screen effect, and maybe some absorbing material for killing the...whaddya call it...echo between the screen and the wall?

Ken Pachkowsky
11-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Once again....thats a great looking room. I would love to hear it.

Ken

UreiCollector
12-04-2006, 07:33 AM
How about EQ for the center to counter the screen effect, and maybe some absorbing material for killing the...whaddya call it...echo between the screen and the wall?

I havn't done anything special for the center. I am considering some acoustic foam on the front wall between the speakers, but am undecided.

To my supprise, the screen is remarkably transparent. I wouldn't say it's acousticly "invisible", but I have to admit I was pleasantly supprised with how little it seemed to have colored the sound.

The moire effect on the picture is far more distracting than the minor (in my opinion) acoustic affects of the screen. I can see "ghost" images due to reflections of the image off of the wall behind the perforated screen.

clmrt
12-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Bummer. What's the solution for that I wonder. Black felt?

Edit - Oh yeah - awesome theater by the way. I'd do the same thing in a heartbeat. Except I'm a sucker for black / dark walls and carpet. Maybe black carpeted walls with reflective surfaces added to taste.

Like I even know what I'm talking about.

UreiCollector
12-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the kind comments.

I thought about black felt, but I'm not sure I'd like the apperance (lights on). I'm torn, as always. I'm going to start with a darker shade of the wall color in flat paint, and see what kind of results I get. If i'm still not happy, then I'll try something else. Perhaps a carpet of sorts on the front wall....but I don't if I'll be happy with the apperance.

It's a tough situation, but compromise is the name of the game. Having the center channel directly behind the screen is well worth this trouble though, I wouldn't do it differently.

Considering I use this room for listening 90% of the time, and movies 10%, it hasn't been bothering me much. :) The lack of trim around the Urei's is more irritating at this point.

Cheers! Frederick

Zilch
12-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Tapestry, maybe?

Mr. Widget
12-05-2006, 03:47 PM
I thought about black felt, but I'm not sure I'd like the apperance (lights on)...Could you have a pull down black felt curtain behind the screen? Maybe gang it to your screen?

Widget

UreiCollector
08-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Hi everyone,

I've finally gotten around to hanging the trim on the Urei's. Enjoy!

Frederick

grumpy
08-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the picture. I'm sure it sounds every bit as good as it looks! :)

Bob Womack
08-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Fredrick leads the way...

UreiCollector
08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Thank you Gentlemen!

stephane RAME
08-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Hello,
Congratulations, really a very good job, for a very coherent.
Regards
Stéphane :applaud:

Mr. Widget
08-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Hello,
Congratulations, really a very good job, for a very coherent.
Regards
Stéphane :applaud:Yes, that is a very nice project. Well done!

I bet it even makes bad movies a little more fun to sit through. :D

Widget

UreiCollector
08-05-2008, 05:41 AM
If by bad movie you mean "chick flick" then yes, it certainly helps. Though my wifey is always telling me to turn it down......I told her it's called "dynamic range" and it would be a sin to use a compressor to make her happy. :applaud:

JBLRaiser
11-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Could you do a YouTube of your system in operation? I'd love to hear/see the outcome.:applaud:

JBL 4645
11-19-2008, 10:59 PM
great fisheye pic

Where’s Northwood been? Where’s he buggered off to haven’t spoken to him or seen him online in months now??:D

Could you do a YouTube of your system in operation? I'd love to hear/see the outcome.:applaud:

Yeah I second that there’s not enough JBL on youtube we need to combine are strength over Bose!:D

JBL 4645
11-19-2008, 11:05 PM
I like the diy JBL subs with 2242 very nice. :applaud:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=20989&stc=1&d=1164814589

UreiCollector
11-20-2008, 07:40 AM
I'll see what I can whip up.........

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

UreiCollector
11-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Enjoy!

boputnam
11-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Enjoy!Whoa!!

That is absolutely gorgeous. Well done. What an impressive project. :applaud:

My eyes are drawn to the racks - the so-called "outboard" gear - particularly the shiny faced pieces. Tell us what you got - particularly the upper two 1RU racks?

It looks somewhat like "all Behringer all the time"... ;)

UreiCollector
11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
hey Bob!

The two silver boxes at the top of the rack are Behringer Multicom compressors....I use them when watching movies with my wife (she can't handle the dynamic range, and I hate playing jockey with the volume control). When watching movies on my own they are set to bypass....and they are only in the audio path when watching DVD's or BluRay, CD goes straight from my CD/DVD/Super Audio player to the analog preamp.

As for components, at the very top of the rack is a DVDO iSCAN HD+ Video Scalar, the compressors next, a Sony TA-P9000ES analog preamp, Sony TA-E9000ES processor, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/Super Audio Player, PlayStation 3 for BluRay, Outlaw ICBM for bass management (multichannel crossover), Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive (used on the subwoofers ONLY for EQing, and high passing at 20hz), a Behringer DEQ2496 (used as an SPL meter only), and Hafler Amplifiers round out the bottom (DH500 for mains, DH220 for center, XL280 for surrounds {sits in the closet, no rack space}, and a Hafler GX2600 for the JBL 2242H subwoofers). The computer in the equipment room has CLIO on it for when I get the urge to tweak the system.

UreiCollector
11-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Also, I get a kick out of this........

Why do I spend so much time and effort on the theater?

My shrink tells me it's my parents fault......

Here is dad's system........i guess my shrink was right!

(he is rear projecting, subwoofers are EV180B's with the exception of a pair of EVM18's, and the mains are Urei 813B's, as well as the JBL LSR 6332's)

Mr. Widget
11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
My shrink tells me it's my parents fault......:applaud:

Looks like Dad could use a single Urei 811 for Christmas. ;)

Widget

UreiCollector
11-25-2008, 07:35 AM
The man has 4 of them (811C's)......

I was a little surprised that he swapped it out for the 6332....especially considering he doesn't hear so well above 4kc. They do image better than the Urei's....and that may be why he went to it.

The 6332's are amazing, I have to say.

boputnam
11-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks!!

The two silver boxes at the top of the rack are Behringer Multicom compressors....I use them when watching movies with my wife (she can't handle the dynamic range, and I hate playing jockey with the volume control). Interesting. I had thought of doing the same myself - different gear ;) , but same application. Curious - what is the threshold and ratio. Any make-up gain?

Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive (used on the subwoofers ONLY for EQing, and high passing at 20hz)...Hmm...

So, what is the signal path like - are there passive crossovers in each cabinet? (the DH500 for mains, DH220 for center, XL280 for surrounds are all "full-range cabinets? I'm a bit confused...)

...subwoofers are EV180B's...If your dad likes the EVX180B's, he should try JBL's 2242H. It will slip right into that mouting and will literally blow-away the EV's - both in response and quality. Oh - and I think I like your dad a LOT!! :rotfl:

allen mueller
11-25-2008, 06:21 PM
The 6332's are amazing, I have to say.

I second that, I've got a pair and they are great speakers. I'd love to pick up more some day and set up a HT.

Allen

UreiCollector
11-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks!!

Interesting. I had thought of doing the same myself - different gear ;) , but same application. Curious - what is the threshold and ratio. Any make-up gain?

Hmm...

So, what is the signal path like - are there passive crossovers in each cabinet? (the DH500 for mains, DH220 for center, XL280 for surrounds are all "full-range cabinets? I'm a bit confused...)

If your dad likes the EVX180B's, he should try JBL's 2242H. It will slip right into that mouting and will literally blow-away the EV's - both in response and quality. Oh - and I think I like your dad a LOT!! :rotfl:

For the compressors I've set the threshold around -34, the Ratio to about 10:1 (give or take), and I'm not using any make up gain (the compressors only start doing their magic during loud passages....for 90% of the duration of a movie, it's pretty much unity gain). I set the TA-E9000ES to -30 when running movies with the wife, and all those settings together keep her from squaking about the level, and keep me from jockeying the volume control....these are the settings I've come up with over about 6~7 movies with her.

As for signal path....for DVD / BluRay movies.....

DVD Player => P9000 (processor) => Compressors => E9000 (analog preamp in bypass mode) => Outlaw ICBM (high pass at 60hz) => Haflers => Urei's (using factory passive crossovers)

for the subwoofer section i come out of the Outlaw ICBM (now low passing at 60hz with all channels summed plus LFE)=> DCX2496 (digital crossover with EQ and 20hz high pass at 6db/octave) => Hafler GX2600 => JBL2242H's

For CD audio and Super-Audio the CD/DVD/Super Audio player uses analog outputs directly to the E9000 analog preamp (now in active mode).....and all else remains the same down the chain. ((pure analog signal path from the output of the player to the speakers, with the exception of the subwoofer path due to the DCX2496))

As for dad with his EV180B's.....I've tried to push the JBL2242H's (which I use) on him, but he's happy with the EV's, so who am i to argue? Heck, he has enough of them to make up for any defecits......

Hope this helps clear things up.....i can always draw a pic tomorrow to make it all crystal. :D

JBLRaiser
11-26-2008, 06:49 AM
How much of this complex gear is used power wise, decibels, volume, presence, image whatever you 'experts' call it, to actually emulate the surroundings in a state of the art retail cinema? Is master volume on '1' or can you drive it much higher and still keep your sanity? Decibel level for your listening? Depends on movie selection? Movie favorites so far?

UreiCollector
11-26-2008, 07:57 AM
How much of this complex gear is used power wise, decibels, volume, presence, image whatever you 'experts' call it, to actually emulate the surroundings in a state of the art retail cinema? Is master volume on '1' or can you drive it much higher and still keep your sanity? Decibel level for your listening? Depends on movie selection? Movie favorites so far?

I've done my best (within my limited budget) to make the room as neutral as possible. As for emulating a 'retail cinema', I didn't even think about that....I was aiming for the best configuration I could achieve in the limited space that I had. My personal feelings are that my home cinema far exceeds any 'retail cinema' that I have ever been in.....the sound is by far better, the picture phenominal (considering I'm using a $1200 projector....it could be better), the seating is by far more comfortable, and the overall impact is far superior.

Low frequency impact for example, trumps any retail theater I have been in....the low end in my room is much deeper and has much more impact. Of course, I'm only filling a 6 seat cinema with sound.....not a 200+ seat space. When Neo fires that gatling gun in "The Matrix" for example, you can feel every single shot through the seat of your pants.....I never had that experience out at a retail cinema.

As for any type of audio processing to emulate a space.....I do not believe in using any of those 'features'. They never sound right. The only EQ'ing I'm using is below 60~80hz on the subwoofers. I've done my best with acoutic treatment of the room to make the sound as neutral as possible.

To the point of listening level......when I watch movies alone, I'm running at much higher levels than at a 'retail cinema'.....I just like it that way.....my wife on the other hand thinks it's way too loud....so I run at much lower levels when she is in the room. I have never measured the SPL during a movie, but if I were to venture a guess, I'd say I'm averaging in the 80's~90's somewhere with peaks well over 100.....but that's only a guess. For CD listening, my average is 90+.....I like my music loud.

Favorite movies: The Matrix, X-Men, Costantine, Cars, and The New Battlestar Galatica.

boputnam
11-26-2008, 08:57 AM
For the compressors I've set the threshold around -34, the Ratio to about 10:1 (give or take), and I'm not using any make up gain (the compressors only start doing their magic during loud passages....for 90% of the duration of a movie, it's pretty much unity gain). Sorry, my bad. That was a meaningless way to ask the question: How much gain reduction do the "loud" passages get? 10:1 is a great deal higher than I would have thought.

Question: since the C/L's are in the signal path all the time, are they clean sounding? Have you ever measured their signal characteristics, or listened closely with headphones A/B...? I ask because I've found that lower price-point units can degrade the signal, audibly. As example, in the performing world there is a Boss guitar tuner everyone loves, white, foot pedal "bypasses" the unit so that after silent tuning they can easily switch it in/out the path. Well, we did a few quick tests, and that POS is horrible sounding. EVEN ON BYPASS. It really wreaks havoc with the sound of any acoustic instrument - searing electric guitars are less of an issue (:().

Anyway, I realize it would only impact your movie soundracks, but I'm interested with all that excellent gear if you've critically evaluated the impacts, if any, of those C/L's even being in the path...

UreiCollector
11-26-2008, 09:25 AM
I have not done an A/B with them......I havn't found them objectionable in use, so I'm running under the "what I don't know won't hurt me" mode of thinking. (This would be a great thing to test on one of those boring winter nights....and I may just do that.....or not....ha ha ha....)

Unfortunately, the bypass mode in this compressor is not a "hard" bypass....so I'm sure there are some negative impacts even when in bypass.....but for the price, I can't complain.

I would love to use a higher quality compressor....but between all of my hobbies / children / wife / mortgage....I have to make sacrifices. And given that I don't have to play "volume jockey" when watching movies with the wife....the impacts on the system are well worth it. It still sounds good to me.....and eveyone who has set foot in the room says it is the best they have ever heard.....good enough for me.

Mr. Widget
11-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Unfortunately, the bypass mode in this compressor is not a "hard" bypass....I'd stick a patch bay in the rack and patch them in as needed... ever thing you add to the signal path degrades the sound... inexpensive gear is usually worse than more expensive stuff, but that isn't always the case... some expensive stuff is also terrible. :D

Widget

boputnam
11-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I'd stick a patch bay in the rack and patch them in as needed... Great idea, dood.

Neutrik makes a great normalled patch bay. Nice...

inexpensive gear is usually worse than more expensive stuff, but that isn't always the case... some expensive stuff is also terrible. I only said that to avoid tiresome brand bashing. Hell, I know all my expensive stuff doesn't suck! :rotfl:

JBL 4645
11-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Urei

Is there anymore pictures of the baffle wall construction and how did you solve the rattle issues?

UreiCollector
11-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Urei

Is there anymore pictures of the baffle wall construction and how did you solve the rattle issues?

Here is a pic of the wall. As for rattles, no issues, never had any. I used a lot of nails, and a lot of screws.

Skywave-Rider
11-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Frederick,
Curious to know about the angle of the LR monitors. Are they aimed directly at the listening position? Sorry if I missed that point. Nice job on the soffit. Did you use neoprene around the Uries?

UreiCollector
11-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Frederick,
Curious to know about the angle of the LR monitors. Are they aimed directly at the listening position? Sorry if I missed that point. Nice job on the soffit. Did you use neoprene around the Uries?

The angle is 15 degrees. I had to compromise on the toe in. When using the Urie's in free space, I found they imaged best if they "crossed" slightly in front of the listening position, however, it would not have been aesthetically pleasing, so I made sure that the front most seating positions in the room were covered within the ~90 degree beamwidth of the horns....as I've said, it was a compromise, but it has worked pretty well. In this room, they "cross" slightly behind the prime seating position.

As for spacing of the Urei's......i spaced them so that at the prime listening position, each L and R monitor was 30 degrees off of center.

Around the Urei's I made a frame from Poplar and painted it with DuraTex textured speaker cabinet paint. The frames are attached with "L" brackets directly to the cabinets....that way the 'reveal' from the trim to the front of the cabinets would remain constant.......then all i have to do is push the cabinet into the soffit, until the trim stops them.

Thank you for the comments!

JBL 4645
11-27-2008, 04:52 AM
Here is a pic of the wall. As for rattles, no issues, never had any. I used a lot of nails, and a lot of screws.

Verey nice. :bouncy:

Was cost quite minimal in the diy construction of it looks like good timbre?

Did you screw the plasterboard to the timbre or nail it?

UreiCollector
11-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Verey nice. :bouncy:

Was cost quite minimal in the diy construction of it looks like good timbre?

Did you screw the plasterboard to the timbre or nail it?

I saved a lot of $ by doing most of the work myself.....I hired out the sheetrock (it's an art to do it right), and hired out the carpeting.....but I did everything else (design, framing, electrical, subfloor, insulation, etc).

She sheetrock is screwed to the framing....I don't know of anyone who uses nails with sheetrock.

JBL 4645
11-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I see said the blind man. :D

Well unless you what to beat the crap out it with nails LOL yeah screwing it up is the correct way.

I would have thought cutting out the holes making sure its sized up and will fit in the correct space over the framing otherwise your stuffed if you had to do it again and plasterboard thou cheap as it is, will soon mount up in cost. Plus it’s a messy thing with all the plasterboard dust.

UreiCollector
11-27-2008, 06:19 PM
The sheetrock installer hung the sheets partially, and then cut out around all electrical boxes with a 'rotozip' type tool......once the rock was fully secured, he then cut the openings in place with that same 'rotozip' tool.....quick, easy, and precise......no wasted rock.

He had all of the rock hung, muded, and sanded inside of 5 work days.

JBL 4645
11-28-2008, 06:09 AM
The sheetrock installer hung the sheets partially, and then cut out around all electrical boxes with a 'rotozip' type tool......once the rock was fully secured, he then cut the openings in place with that same 'rotozip' tool.....quick, easy, and precise......no wasted rock.

He had all of the rock hung, muded, and sanded inside of 5 work days.

I see one of these then. I’m sure glad I asked I was thinking of using Stanley blade. I’ll look into one of these an affordable model less than £100.00.

http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/tools/rotozip/rotozip.jpg

UreiCollector
02-26-2009, 08:32 AM
I've finally put the finishing touches on the Urei Theater! I'm very happy with the results, and I want to thank my wife for being so supportive. I'll let the picture do the talking.....

UreiCollector
02-26-2009, 08:34 AM
And here is the rack.....

hjames
02-26-2009, 09:39 AM
And here is the rack.....

very very cool - now ... I like the techie perspective, but to maintain a happy household, I have to ask - what is your vision for grills to mask those lovely bluethroated warblers?

(also, to protect woofer from unseemly accidents and derfingerpokenundconedisruptinsion

Titanium Dome
02-26-2009, 10:07 AM
It looks very nice. You should be quite happy, and it's great that you got support in your project.

I'll bet it's great for multichannel music. Does the screen muffle the center channel on movies, or is it one of those perf screens?

UreiCollector
02-26-2009, 10:45 AM
....to maintain a happy household, I have to ask - what is your vision for grills....

....derfingerpokenundconedisruptinsion....

I do have grilles for all the Urei's (I had to make a pair for the 813's).....I havn't made any for the 2242's though....we are teaching my son to stay "on this side" of the coffee table. I may make some yet.

....Does the screen muffle the center channel on movies, or is it one of those perf screens?....

I went with the Da-Lite 'High Contrast Cinema-Perf' screen....it's remarkably transparent (acousticly).....

JBL Dog
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I've finally put the finishing touches on the Urei Theater! I'm very happy with the results, and I want to thank my wife for being so supportive. I'll let the picture do the talking.....

WOW!!

I remember you and your dad making that 1800+ mile round trip to pick up the 815A from me thinking "this guy is nuts!"

I now see you were a man on a mission.

Absolutely bee-you-tee-full!!

:applaud:

UreiCollector
02-26-2009, 11:37 AM
WOW!!

I remember you and your dad making that 1800+ mile round trip to pick up the 815A from me thinking "this guy is nuts!"

I now see you were a man on a mission.

Absolutely bee-you-tee-full!!

Thank you so much Dog! Scoring that 815 from you was a dream come true.....the 815 has become the focal point in the room!

JBL Dog
02-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Thank you so much Dog! Scoring that 815 from you was a dream come true.....the 815 has become the focal point in the room!

Definitely the "Mother-of-all-Center-Channels". It was my pleasure. All it was doing was taking up a lot of room in my basement.

So, uh, do I get comped tickets and popcorn if I'm in the neighborhood???

:D

UreiCollector
02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
So, uh, do I get comped tickets and popcorn if I'm in the neighborhood???

:D

Dog, you always get comped tickets, and free beer. Anytime your in Upstate NY, feel free to drop me a line. :D

Mr. Widget
02-26-2009, 01:06 PM
I've finally put the finishing touches on the Urei Theater!Very, very nice. I bet it's hard to get you out of that room. :applaud:

Widget

louped garouv
02-26-2009, 01:15 PM
:jawdrop: that is stunning

congrats on a job well done!

jbl_daddy
02-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I noticed you are using a Sony 9000 preamp and the 9000 DVD player. I two have had these in my theater for 7-8 years. I have been wanting to replace them for a year or two now but can not find anything better or that is so easy for my wife to opperate. Do you use the internal crossover in the preamp to cut any of the lows from the speakers or are you running them all full range?

Ps. Stunning, is your screen a Stewart or a Draper???:):):)

UreiCollector
02-26-2009, 08:15 PM
I noticed you are using a Sony 9000 preamp and the 9000 DVD player. I two have had these in my theater for 7-8 years. I have been wanting to replace them for a year or two now but can not find anything better or that is so easy for my wife to opperate. Do you use the internal crossover in the preamp to cut any of the lows from the speakers or are you running them all full range?

Ps. Stunning, is your screen a Stewart or a Draper???:):):)

I agree that it is hard to find something better than the Sony 9000 series. The 9000 DVD/SACD player is definately reference class in my opinion. Dad has moved on to the Sony STR DA4300ES (if memory serves correctly), and he is quite happy with it, however I just don't feel the need to upgrade....I'm just so happy with the 9000's. And some may call me crazy.....but isn't 5.1 enough?....especially when your using high end monitors, as opposed to [insert crappy consumer speaker here].

As for bass management.....I am not using the internal crossovers in the E9000, I do all of my bass management with the Outlaw ICBM, and some further processing of the subwoofer channels with the Behringer DCX2496.

The screen is a Da-Lite 'High Contrast Cinema Perf'. The price for this unit was steep enough....I wasn't willing to spend even more on the Stewart....and honestly, the quality of the Da-Lite is first rate.

UreiCollector
02-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Very, very nice. I bet it's hard to get you out of that room. :applaud:
Widget

Thank you Mr Widget! I'm very happy with the results to say the least. :D

grumpy
02-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Nice execution! I envy the follow-through required to 'complete' ;) such
an endeavor.

John
02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Looks like something out of a magazine.:applaud:

By the way what screen size is that?:bouncy:

Oh and what model projector are you running??? :D

UreiCollector
02-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Looks like something out of a magazine.:applaud:

By the way what screen size is that?:bouncy:

Oh and what model projector are you running??? :D

Thank you! Maybe some day I'll get this published.

The screen is 106" and the projector is a Panasonic PT-AE900U (720P 3-chip LCD), not the best of projectors, but for $1200 I can not complain with the performance......as I've said....compromises had to be made......I used the $ on the sound......

Titanium Dome
02-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Thank you! Maybe some day I'll get this published.

The screen is 106" and the projector is a Panasonic PT-AE900U (720P 3-chip LCD), not the best of projectors, but for $1200 I can not complain with the performance......as I've said....compromises had to be made......I used the $ on the sound......

Projectors are consumables in every sense of the word and need to be replaced eventually. Nowadays that's sooner rather than later. Putting the $$ into the sound was the right thing to do, and it's an investment with lifetime potential.

grumpy
05-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Maybe some day I'll get this published.

Congratulations! :applaud::banana::dancin:

"Home Theater", June 2009 Volume 16, No 6

UreiCollector
05-12-2009, 06:45 AM

Thank you Grumpy!!!! I was wondering if anyone was going to notice from the forum. It's pretty exciting to see your work published. Thanks again!

JBL 4645
05-21-2009, 06:39 AM

Are you saying his in next months issue of home theatre? Wow Urei any exclusive pictures that we can see now please.:D

UreiCollector
05-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Are you saying his in next months issue of home theatre? Wow Urei any exclusive pictures that we can see now please.:D

June issue of "Home Theater" hit the mailboxes a couple weeks ago, and the newstands last week. I'm on page 52, 53.

As for pictures, I've posted everything here...I actually shot the pictures for the magazine, and the wifey and I wrote the article....though they did heavily edit it. All in all, it's pretty cool to see your work in a publication.

As a side note.....this is my "boat". Seriously....you can buy a boat, a sports car, or a motorcycle.....or.....for the same $ and some patience, you can build yourself a theater. No 2nd mortgage required. I'd like to see more of us published...we have something no one else has.....quality sound!

JBL 4645
05-23-2009, 02:11 PM
June issue of "Home Theater" hit the mailboxes a couple weeks ago, and the newstands last week. I'm on page 52, 53.

As for pictures, I've posted everything here...I actually shot the pictures for the magazine, and the wifey and I wrote the article....though they did heavily edit it. All in all, it's pretty cool to see your work in a publication.

As a side note.....this is my "boat". Seriously....you can buy a boat, a sports car, or a motorcycle.....or.....for the same $ and some patience, you can build yourself a theater. No 2nd mortgage required. I'd like to see more of us published...we have something no one else has.....quality sound!

I would say it’s also cool to see it on this site!

I’m kinder wondering about the term now, home cinema/theatre. It’s a term that was mostly associated with sound back in the 1980’s when the first domestic Dolby surround decoder appeared on the market.

Why not, media room instead as it can handle all types.

Thou some old and new cinemas now with digital projection can also be on the same grounds as we they can play anything.

Well it’s nice thou you got your living room home cinema in the magazine. I’m sure those who haven’t passed by on this site will see it the Home Theatre magazine, and might take some notice of JBL!:)

baldrick
05-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Your theather are a huge influence for me, it's more or less the same as I'm planning/hopeing for over the summer but with Altec instead of Urei :bouncy:

One question I have, is it OK to have the front speakers that high or would it be better to have them lower? My frontspeakers will consist of 3xAltec A700 (horn and 15" basshorn) and I'm a bit conserned that the woofer will get to high if it's on top, so I'm considering that I maybe need to have the on the floor instead of like you?!

Hope it's OK, i used one of your picture to sketch a few solutions for my plans, here (http://avforum.no/forum/attachments/hvilket-utstyr-har-avforums-medlemmer/49728d1241600023-baldrick-sin-nye-hjemmekino-waf-hva-de-no-kino.jpg)'s one, and here (http://avforum.no/forum/attachments/hvilket-utstyr-har-avforums-medlemmer/49729d1241600028-baldrick-sin-nye-hjemmekino-waf-hva-de-no-kino2.jpg)'s an alternative so you maybe understand my question easier :)

UreiCollector
05-27-2009, 05:31 PM
One question I have, is it OK to have the front speakers that high or would it be better to have them lower? My frontspeakers will consist of 3xAltec A700 (horn and 15" basshorn) and I'm a bit conserned that the woofer will get to high if it's on top, so I'm considering that I maybe need to have the on the floor instead of like you?!

I'm glad you like the room! Thanks!

The UREI's were designed to be mounted in the arrangement that I have here....typically in a recording studio the mixer would have been in the way. Another think to keep in mind is that my horns are mounted at ear level while seated...and since I'm using a coaxial driver, the woofer is also at ear level. The additional woofers in the cabinets are cut off at aproximately 100hz and shouldn't affect the pattern a whole lot.

Something to keep in mind with your plan is where the main "lobe" is at the crossover frequency between your bass-horns and your high-frequency horns...depending on driver displacement and crossover topology, you may have to have the horn located above the woofers. I personally think the 2nd image you sent would be the better setup (knowing nothing futher about above said issues). You may however be tight on space. You want to be sure that you have about 30 degrees off of center for your main left and right array, and putting the subs in-between may not allow that to happen (depending on your distance from the front wall).

Keep us up to date on your project...i love the idea of using large format horns in a home cinema like that!

UreiCollector
05-27-2009, 05:39 PM
I’m kinder wondering about the term now, home cinema/theatre.

I went with home cinema for two reasons...

1) to set myself apart from the "home theater" crowd... AKA the "i bought a home theater that came with 7 speakers, and it sounds great in this room I crammed it into man..."

2) Relyea Cinema 1 was a great play on words on the Regal Cinema 13 in town...

JBL 4645
05-27-2009, 05:54 PM
I went with home cinema for two reasons...

1) to set myself apart from the "home theater" crowd... AKA the "i bought a home theater that came with 7 speakers, and it sounds great in this room I crammed it into man..."

2) Relyea Cinema 1 was a great play on words on the Regal Cinema 13 in town...

Well in any case it’s very stylish not over the top just stylish.:)

Is this the same cinema? I see you’re located in New York so this must be that cinema?

Regal E-Walk Stadium 13
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/10461/ (http://cinematreasures.org/theater/10461/)

There is just one other question thou. How loud is the LCD video projector or is it a DLP type?

I picked up my Hitachi CP-X430 yesterday afternoon and its flipping noisy on the fan at 55dbc at 4 feet way basically its got to go in the kitchen out of sight, its like leaf blower.:D

I noticed you’ve placed it high towards the ceiling and to the back slightly. Also the heat on mine whew damn and that’s the reason for the noisy fan sucking/venting out the heat.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=18826&stc=1&d=1158710144

hjames
04-03-2015, 06:33 AM
Its been ages since the last post in this thread (Nearly 6 years?)

I'm just wonder how this system has been since it was built,
how its held up. Anything you've upgraded since ...?

Do you have any lessons-learned, things you might do different?

DerekTheGreat
02-23-2024, 09:36 AM
Yeah, and now another age has passed since your comment. ;)

What a phenomenal set-up though. Would love to know how it's doing today.

UreiCollector
02-24-2024, 01:18 PM
Yeah, and now another age has passed since your comment. ;)What a phenomenal set-up though. Would love to know how it's doing today.Hi there!So this is my old theater, I have since moved a couple of times, and remarried. Lots have changed! I did rebuild the theater, and during COVID I built my own speakers and replaced the UREI's (which have been sold).The new speakers use JBL 2385A horns with Eminence N314X compression drivers (which have the Textreme carbon fiber diaphragms), a pair of Morel CAW938 midrange drivers, and 5 JBL subwoofers (2x 2242H, 1x 2042H, and 2x 2215H).Still using mostly Hafler amplifiers (a mix of DH220 and DH500's), along with some QSC amplifiers. I have dropped the Behringer digital crossovers and moved to the QSC 110f DSP for all of my audio processing.

UreiCollector
02-24-2024, 01:27 PM
Some photos of the new theater....

grumpy
02-24-2024, 01:46 PM
Nice system evolution & hands-on effort! Good to see you back.

UreiCollector
02-24-2024, 01:59 PM
Nice system evolution & hands-on effort! Good to see you back.Thank you Grumpy!It was a fun project building new speakers. I tried some new techniques with the design, using flexible plywood and some complicated shapes. They look plain on the front, but there's a lot going on behind the scenes.

Mr. Widget
02-24-2024, 02:32 PM
Awesome, thanks for sharing... it is always fun to see different approaches.

How did you arrive at those unusual box shapes... ie. what was the reasoning and what determined the radii and dimensions?

Widget

UreiCollector
02-24-2024, 03:04 PM
Awesome, thanks for sharing... it is always fun to see different approaches.How did you arrive at those unusual box shapes... ie. what was the reasoning and what determined the radii and dimensions?WidgetMany years back I had built some speaker cabinets for my father's set of 604E's using sonotube for the cabinet walls, the curved surface was surprisingly strong, so this new design was an evolution on that. I wanted to get away form the partial cylinder, where the distance from the drivers to the cabinet walls would be relatively constant. I like to keep things symmetrical, hence the mirror image of the shape. I chose the curvature to keep the internal volume up, while trying to maximize the change in distance from the drivers to the walls. I did find the area where I straighten out (along the "sides") were too straight, and did move more than I liked, so I doubled up the walls there and then covered with a mass loaded butyl (for automotive damping). That helped quite a bit. The internal volume is divided into two tiers, and while they are parallel to each other, it's in the minor axis with the highest resonant frequency, i treated that with fiberglass to deaden that resonance. Overall it works very well, they are the best sounding cabinets I have built to date.

DerekTheGreat
02-26-2024, 04:16 AM
Hi there!So this is my old theater, I have since moved a couple of times, and remarried. Lots have changed! I did rebuild the theater, and during COVID I built my own speakers and replaced the UREI's (which have been sold).The new speakers use JBL 2385A horns with Eminence N314X compression drivers (which have the Textreme carbon fiber diaphragms), a pair of Morel CAW938 midrange drivers, and 5 JBL subwoofers (2x 2242H, 1x 2042H, and 2x 2215H).Still using mostly Hafler amplifiers (a mix of DH220 and DH500's), along with some QSC amplifiers. I have dropped the Behringer digital crossovers and moved to the QSC 110f DSP for all of my audio processing.

Thank you for the update! Lots have changed. Was it hard to sell the UREI's? Or did you sell them with the house? I think if I went through the effort you did with integrating them as seamlessly as you had, I would've let them go with the house. Hell, if I had been in the market for a house and saw that set-up, I'd have to make it happen, just too cool. I'm new to the UREI scene, but a full-blown addict who started with 813C's+JBL 2245's and bought 811C's to use for the home theater. I absolutely dig 'em. I'll also be looking into that QSC deal you're using to process audio. I'm currently using a BX63A to manage the signal between the 813C's and my B460 clones, along with old Crown amplifiers and preamp. I'm very pleased with the results, but plan to go modern once funds allow.

How does the new custom setup compare? Impressive handiwork by the way! Hopefully your spouse appreciates the music and theater more than the previous. If it wasn't for my fiancée, I'd have never gotten into the UREI scene....

UreiCollector
02-26-2024, 07:08 PM
So I had packed up everything and rebuilt at the new house, with the UREI's as part of the system. When I built new speakers during COVID, I designed them to fit the same openings, you'll notice the right and left are the same size as an 813, while the center is the same size as an 815. Selling the UREI's took some time, the commitment of such large speakers turns away a lot of people. I did have a single buyer purchase all 6 of the 811's that I had, he had them crated and shipped out to him in California.When the Eminence N314X driver was reviewed by Vance Dickason, it caught my attention, so I picked up a single unit to test. I was so impressed I quickly bought a 2nd unit and built some stands to place the horns in front of the UREI's. I tested them for a couple months substituting the N314X with JBL 2385A horn for the horns of the UREI's....so still using the woofer of the 604. The high frequency extension was much better, the imaging was substantially better, and overall I found them to be a big improvement, and I decided then to build new speakers from the ground up. Absolutely no regrets. The Textreme diaphragm of the N314X is outstanding...it has the HF extension of a beryllium diaphragm without the breakup modes in the upper octaves. The 2385 is a constant directivity horn, compared to the exponential horn of the UREI, and the narrower beam width of this horn keeps HF energy off of the side walls, but still gives me the coverage I need in the room.Re: the QSC 110f, I'm using that for bass management, driver correction, time delay (time alignment), and all crossovers. I'm currently running 14 amplifier channels, likely to go up to 17 if I ever get off my butt. I've spent a lot of time doing measurements with CLIO and fine tuning each driver in the room.Have you posted about your setup? I'm curious to see what you've put together. I still have a special place in my heart for the Altec 604, and all things UREI. I grew up listening to 604E's, and purchased my first set of UREI's around 2000, it was a set of 811A's, and I used 813A's right up until 3 years ago.

DerekTheGreat
02-27-2024, 05:01 AM
So I had packed up everything and rebuilt at the new house, with the UREI's as part of the system. When I built new speakers during COVID, I designed them to fit the same openings, you'll notice the right and left are the same size as an 813, while the center is the same size as an 815. Selling the UREI's took some time, the commitment of such large speakers turns away a lot of people. I did have a single buyer purchase all 6 of the 811's that I had, he had them crated and shipped out to him in California.When the Eminence N314X driver was reviewed by Vance Dickason, it caught my attention, so I picked up a single unit to test. I was so impressed I quickly bought a 2nd unit and built some stands to place the horns in front of the UREI's. I tested them for a couple months substituting the N314X with JBL 2385A horn for the horns of the UREI's....so still using the woofer of the 604. The high frequency extension was much better, the imaging was substantially better, and overall I found them to be a big improvement, and I decided then to build new speakers from the ground up. Absolutely no regrets. The Textreme diaphragm of the N314X is outstanding...it has the HF extension of a beryllium diaphragm without the breakup modes in the upper octaves. The 2385 is a constant directivity horn, compared to the exponential horn of the UREI, and the narrower beam width of this horn keeps HF energy off of the side walls, but still gives me the coverage I need in the room.Re: the QSC 110f, I'm using that for bass management, driver correction, time delay (time alignment), and all crossovers. I'm currently running 14 amplifier channels, likely to go up to 17 if I ever get off my butt. I've spent a lot of time doing measurements with CLIO and fine tuning each driver in the room.Have you posted about your setup? I'm curious to see what you've put together. I still have a special place in my heart for the Altec 604, and all things UREI. I grew up listening to 604E's, and purchased my first set of UREI's around 2000, it was a set of 811A's, and I used 813A's right up until 3 years ago.

Oh yeah, now I notice the walls can accommodate the 813 and 815 cabinet! I'd love to hear that setup sometime! I've yet to hear anything with a beryllium diaphragm, but am told they are leaps and bounds ahead of the 813ABC and it's compromised 1" driver... Breaks my heart a bit to hear that, as the UREI's have taken the top spot after all the systems I've had/listened to. Although I was initially unhappy with how the 813C's sounded, I learned they can't just be plopped into a room and cranked to 11 like most of the other speakers I've had. Like you mentioned, I noticed the HF rolls off considerably right around 14khz, so once I boosted that, pulled a considerable amount of 2khz out and turned the knobs on the cabinets full CW, it came down to amplifier selection. Now they make up the most enjoyable system I've ever had the good fortune to listen to, let alone own. Before the UREI's came along, I discovered I was an SPL junkie and just couldn't get my systems loud enough. Not a problem anymore. :bouncy:

"...Get off my butt." Haha! Compared to me, you're a whirlwind of talent and action. I've never thought about modifying the house around speakers. Matter of fact, I tend not to modify things too much in case I later change my mind or am forced to move. Plus I saw the house I'm currently in as temporary, permanent if it has to be and it's looking like it's going to be permanent, at least until retirement. So I've slowly cozied up to the idea of modifying things.

I have posted pics before, forget the threads so I'll just post 'em again. I'm a little embarrassed though, as the visual appeal is quite lacking by comparison and the system is essentially plopped into position. I recall reading your comments about how much tighter things got by soffit mounting the 813's and now I'm really curious.. The "theater" wasn't able to accommodate the 811C as I had originally hoped, (Intended to put it between the two entertainment centers under the TV) so now I'm on the hunt for a lone 809. Already have two 809's enroute for use as surround duty. Couldn't imagine 17 drivers!!! I've also always wondered how the A/B UREI variants compare against the C...

UreiCollector
02-27-2024, 05:19 PM
You have an impressive stock of UREI's on hand! Thanks for sharing! At my peak I had 15 of them if memory serves, maybe more...ha ha ha. I had used the A series in the theater, my father had used the C series (which eventually became part of my collection). The A's were always my favorite, I think having gown up with the Altec 604's set me that way. There was a quality to the C's that I did like a lot, I think I felt like they were a little more "forward" or "assertive". Really they all are fantastic speakers!So yeah, the soffit mounting does go a long way in making them perform...i fought doing it for a long time, but after hearing my father's in soffits, I eventually followed suit. It's definitely a commitment! My wife is very understanding though, and she loves movies, so she does reap the benefits of the system too :)

rusty jefferson
02-27-2024, 05:47 PM
UreiCollector, I love the fact you're still in so deep almost 20 years after starting this thread. It's aspirational for folks coming up in the hobby as well as old timers. Good on ya! :-)

UreiCollector
02-27-2024, 05:53 PM
UreiCollector, I love the fact you're still in so deep almost 20 years after starting this thread. It's aspirational for folks coming up in the hobby as well as old timers. Good on ya! :-)Thank you! I appreciate your kind words! It's been a lifelong passion, and I have to thank my father for that...he sparked my interest as a child :). It's great to be in touch with people who share the same passion for HiFi too, thanks for speaking up!

rusty jefferson
02-27-2024, 06:06 PM
Thank you! I appreciate your kind words! It's been a lifelong passion, and I have to thank my father for that...he sparked my interest as a child :). It's great to be in touch with people who share the same passion for HiFi too, thanks for speaking up!
You're very welcome. I think several of us here got started on the JBL path because of our fathers. Was your father a studio engineer? I was introduced to UREI by a friend who worked at a studio in Philadelphia.

UreiCollector
02-27-2024, 06:30 PM
You're very welcome. I think several of us here got started on the JBL path because of our fathers. Was your father a studio engineer? I was introduced to UREI by a friend who worked at a studio in Philadelphia.Nope, just an audiophile :)

Mr. Widget
02-27-2024, 07:45 PM
UreiCollector, I love the fact you're still in so deep almost 20 years after starting this thread. It's aspirational for folks coming up in the hobby as well as old timers. Good on ya! :-)Who ya calling old!

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words! It's been a lifelong passion, and I have to thank my father for that...he sparked my interest as a child :). It's great to be in touch with people who share the same passion for HiFi too, thanks for speaking up!Very cool... my dad helped get me started by letting me tag a long when he was shopping for our first "real system", but he wasn't an enthusiast. Luckily for me some of his buddies were and they got me off to a good start.

I'm sure your your dad is or would be impressed by how far you've come.

Widget

DerekTheGreat
02-28-2024, 05:48 AM
You have an impressive stock of UREI's on hand! Thanks for sharing! At my peak I had 15 of them if memory serves, maybe more...ha ha ha. I had used the A series in the theater, my father had used the C series (which eventually became part of my collection). The A's were always my favorite, I think having gown up with the Altec 604's set me that way. There was a quality to the C's that I did like a lot, I think I felt like they were a little more "forward" or "assertive". Really they all are fantastic speakers!So yeah, the soffit mounting does go a long way in making them perform...i fought doing it for a long time, but after hearing my father's in soffits, I eventually followed suit. It's definitely a commitment! My wife is very understanding though, and she loves movies, so she does reap the benefits of the system too :)

Thank you! I'm trying to collect the UREI pieces I'm most intrigued by. I'd like to get my hands on at least one 6500 amplifier, have you ever tried one? There's a member on here, thierry, who highly recommends them.. Do you still have your father's C series? There are quite a few folks who prefer the A, which is of course why I'm curious. rusty jefferson pointed out a website which lists all the variants of the 604. There's rave & praise for the 813, A and B, but the C barely gets a mention, "..it sounds nothing like the previous versions."

I think that's what I found too, that the 813C's were forward. At the same time I was reading through the manuals rusty provided and then began to take frequency response measurements with AudioTool on my phone. Rudimentary, but I found the crossover knobs don't exactly correlate to the graphs depicted in the manual. "HF Trim", for example, spiked 8khz and ONLY 8khz, despite what the literature stated. This thread I just stumbled upon is a good read too: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/crossover-rew-measurement-for-urei-813c.357977/ A couple members who own or have experience with them echoed my own experience with them, that they need EQ and sounded a bit forward without it, especially free standing. But I broke down, bought an equalizer, put it in, made more measurements/adjustments and it's been fabulous listening ever since.

I'd love to have them soffit mounted, but I don't think I have the room and that I'd lose one of the windows in that living room. Would make the house hard to sell too. But if it's going to be our residence for several decades, does that really matter? My soon to be wife is also into the hobby! It's amazing. She's the one who insisted we drive to get the 813C's and then who later found the 811C's right in our backyard. She's even into ratty old cars & trucks like I am.

UreiCollector, I love the fact you're still in so deep almost 20 years after starting this thread. It's aspirational for folks coming up in the hobby as well as old timers. Good on ya! :-)

Some of you old timers are quite friendly to the newbies. :)

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words! It's been a lifelong passion, and I have to thank my father for that...he sparked my interest as a child :). It's great to be in touch with people who share the same passion for HiFi too, thanks for speaking up!

I thank my dad for that as well! Funny to see how much further I've taken it compared to my dad. I think one of the coolest things is the jam sessions he plans before coming over. I must've done something right. :D The only two speaker systems he's ever commented (notably) on are these UREI's and then the XPL200's they replaced and which he now has. Which is funny to me because of all the stuff I thought he'd "pop" on, it was the old marantz gear I once had, which was tribute to what I remember seeing when I was growing up.

hjames
02-28-2024, 06:37 AM
Hey, I wear that old-timers badge proudly - Much experience and joy getting to this point ...

I've just got 2 pair of the little UREI 809s in my multimedia room ...
(and a pair of spare drivers without cabinets).

But I've returned to this UREI Theatre thread many times over the years as a point of reference for great design.
Thanks again for popping back in with updates!

BMWCCA
02-28-2024, 07:13 AM
I thank my dad for that as well! Funny to see how much further I've taken it compared to my dad. I think one of the coolest things is the jam sessions he plans before coming over. I must've done something right. :D The only two speaker systems he's ever commented (notably) on are these UREI's and then the XPL200's they replaced and which he now has. I thank my Dad, as well, but at least one generation removed from your experience.

I "inherited" my Dad's mono JBL 030 system when he left it at the curb for Goodwill and I schlepped it into my closet for safe-keeping! Over 60-years later, I still have his mono JBL box and the used C37 mis-matched-cabinet audio-twin to it I purchased back in the '60s. But, I also have a pair of empty C35 cabinets I had shipped in from the west coast over 20-years ago for the sole purpose of building my Dad's originals into a matched pair of vintage JBL stereo speakers. That's a project for this year. The cabinets have never been in my house since picking them up from a freight depot about 20-miles away and stashing them in a friend's nearby basement for safe-keeping. Time for them to come "home".

It's a few months early, but Happy Father's Day!

DerekTheGreat
02-28-2024, 10:58 AM
Ah, that reminds me of the marantz 2275 dad put to the curb when we moved. I was around ten at the time, couldn't lift it and dad said he was done moving it around. :crying: He still has the BIC Formula VI's he purchased with that marantz. Wish it was the other way around, as only the woofers and one mid-range actually function on those BIC's. Man, I'd have loved to live through the 60's, 70's and 80's.

UreiCollector
02-28-2024, 03:30 PM
Hey, I wear that old-timers badge proudly - Much experience and joy getting to this point ...I've just got 2 pair of the little UREI 809s in my multimedia room ... (and a pair of spare drivers without cabinets).But I've returned to this UREI Theatre thread many times over the years as a point of reference for great design.Thanks again for popping back in with updates!Thank you for the kind words, it feels great to know my work is serving as a source of inspiration for others!

UreiCollector
02-28-2024, 03:41 PM
Derek, I only have a small handful of drivers left now, and 801AA, and 801A, and a pair of Altec 604G's. I never tried the UREI 6500, I've been a Hafler fan for decades and use them for everything above 90 hz. ////// Mr Widget, dad is still heavily involved in the hobby, he spends most days tweaking his system, which these days is primarily comprised of B&G planar midrange and tweeters, Thiel 8" drivers (which he bought a ton in bulk when they were selling excess stock), and a mix of JBL and EV 18" drivers (where he has 8 currently in the system).

Mr. Widget
02-28-2024, 03:50 PM
Mr Widget, dad is still heavily involved in the hobby, he spends most days tweaking his system, which these days is primarily comprised of B&G planar midrange and tweeters, Thiel 8" drivers (which he bought a ton in bulk when they were selling excess stock), and a mix of JBL and EV 18" drivers (where he has 8 currently in the system).I want to party with your dad... that sounds awesome!

Widget