PDA

View Full Version : Question about tweeters in Lxxt series

opimax
09-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Recently I purchased some replacement tweeters on ebay which the user said came from L80t series, should be 35ti tweetrers. They were the TIA series. Thought the guy made a mistake , needed a tia tweeter anyway, all ok.

Last week I purchased a pair of L60t speakers. UPS did their best and 1 woofer cone was locked in place both grills wasted. I thought to myself ok I can get the Ti tweeters out the deal since I need 1 of these also. Same thing thoughTIA tweeters.

I checked the specs to verify both should have come w/ti. My question is did any of the T series come w/tia or did I happen on 2 sets of repaired speakers?

Thanks

Mark

edgewound
09-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Recently I purchased some replacement tweeters on ebay which the user said came from L80t series, should be 35ti tweetrers. They were the TIA series. Thought the guy made a mistake , needed a tia tweeter anyway, all ok.

Last week I purchased a pair of L60t speakers. UPS did their best and 1 woofer cone was locked in place both grills wasted. I thought to myself ok I can get the Ti tweeters out the deal since I need 1 of these also. Same thing thoughTIA tweeters.

I checked the specs to verify both should have come w/ti. My question is did any of the T series come w/tia or did I happen on 2 sets of repaired speakers?

Thanks

Mark

LxxxT's should have 035Ti; Lxxxt3's should have 035TiA

opimax
09-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks, that was what everything pointed to. There were never any changes the end of one speaker run where they were substituted at the factory??? tia being newer, quit making TI teeters and used tia in last batch of either 80t or 60t?

Mark

edgewound
09-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks, that was what everything pointed to. There were never any changes the end of one speaker run where they were substituted at the factory??? tia being newer, quit making TI teeters and used tia in last batch of either 80t or 60t?

Mark

Your clue as to what actually was installed at the factory is the tweeter cutout in the enclosure.

035Ti cutout will have notches 180* apart...opposite each other in the circular cut out to accomodate the crossover leads.

035TiA will have one larger notch at the bottom of the cutout for the crossover leads.

johnaec
09-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Your clue as to what actually was installed at the factory is the tweeter cutout in the enclosure.Not 100% positive - I posted these pics before, showing that there apparently *was* a short time when JBL made the switch to different leads but kept the designation Ti, (I closely inspected the model stamps - the odd one was definitely marked Ti): http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59135&postcount=5

John

edgewound
09-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Not 100% positive - I posted these pics before, showing that there apparently *was* a short time when JBL made the switch to different leads but kept the designation Ti, (I closely inspected the model stamps - the odd one was definitely marked Ti): http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59135&postcount=5

John

Well...actually yes. The tweeters aren't physically interchangeable without providing reliefs for the terminals to fit into the baffle.

On the top plate of the 035TiA motor, a step, or relief is machined into the top edge to facilitate voice coil alignment with centering tabs molded into the 035TiA diaphragm/faceplate assembly. The 035Ti has no such relief.

The diaphragms and voice coils on the two variants are identical....even the pinhole that relieves pressure that was added later in production. The 035TiA diaphragm will fit an 035Ti motor if you cut off the alignment tabs.

Could it be that yours are misstamped or the 'A' was rubbed off the middle one?

johnaec
09-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Could it be that yours are misstamped or the 'A' was rubbed off the middle one?Misstamped - possibly. Rubbed off - definitely not.

John

RedZCar
09-25-2006, 09:56 PM
I have three pair of pristine L20Ts. Two pair have the 035Ti while one pair has the 035TiA. I didn't buy any of them new so it is possible that the tweeters in the later pair were swapped out. However, none of the enclosures are notched in any way to accomodate the terminals.

BTW, the earliest pair has a solid plastic model & s/n plaque about 1/16 thick on the back while the two later pairs have the decal with the clear film overlay.

The inductors used in the early pair are wound on spools rather than on the square plastic tubes used in the later models and the wire size of the early inductors is very small (I didn't measure it but it looks to be about 22 ga.), while the wire in the two later pair is more like 18 ga.! The caps in the two later pair appear to be of higher quality and the general quality of assembly of the crossover is much, much neater.

Not that any of this is of great interest other than to point out that it appears there are some differences in build and components within this model line.

As JBL plainly states in most of its product advertising, specification sheets and user manuals, "JBL continually engages in research related to product improvements. New materials, production methods,..., etc. For this reason, products may differ in some respect from published specifications..."