PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Project May?

remusr
09-18-2006, 01:04 PM
It looks like these did not completed? If I am wrong, how do they sound? Comparable or better than 9800 or new 66000?
The 2004 public info found on the PMay forums on network fab looked awful purty. Did the boxes get built? Was funding an issue? Or just distractions?

Zilch
09-18-2006, 01:21 PM
The design work is largely complete, tested, and verified through the prototype stage.

The final cabinets are currently under construction, the internal "aircraft" bracing elements having been fabricated using CNC.

I'm just a listener in the process, but have followed the progress and learned quite a bit from that. Project May changed my perspective on how speakers could sound.... :thmbsup:

Mr. Widget
09-18-2006, 01:37 PM
We essentially got to a point where the sawdust needed to fly and then the real world crept into the lives of the core group who have been doing much of the work on the project... we had received some early news of the DD66000 and had hoped to complete the project by the public release of the DD66000... but that obviously hasn't happened... we are likely still several months away from any concrete advances with Project May.

There will be an announcement and fanfare when they are completed. For those who have not followed the threads, here is a computer illustration of one of them. The completed speakers will look very similar to this... not quite the DD66000, but certainly no slouch either.

Widget

remusr
09-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the update - I hope to hear how they turned out soon! That top 1500AL kinda makes me dizzy though, seems like it should be on the bottom for coupling and to be less tippy. Guess the 9800/5800 are that way though most other speaks with multiple woofs aren't.
Are both 1500AL's running in parallel up to the mid xover or is one limited to lows ala 4435 & DD66000?

spkrman57
09-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Since the distance between the two drivers would dictate a very low frequency for crossover use that would not mate with the midrange horn.

I have not seen the project May thread in some time and have forgotten the design criteria.

Ron